Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 05:01 PM

599 posts, read 954,903 times

Advertisements

As more and more women who are the breadwinners divorce, and more of them are ordered to pay onerous alimony to their ex-husbands, the alimony laws will slowly be eliminated or at least be changed to make it much less likely to be awarded.

Funny how that works.

Old 06-04-2013, 05:35 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,075,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coloradoalimony View Post
As more and more women who are the breadwinners divorce, and more of them are ordered to pay onerous alimony to their ex-husbands, the alimony laws will slowly be eliminated or at least be changed to make it much less likely to be awarded.

Funny how that works.
Actually, since it hasn't happened, that isn't how it works, and is just your opinion... But, judging from your screen name, I suspect you might have a slight bias...

...Anywho, it's the future, gender parity in the work force. Right now I do more of the household stuff, and my wife has the nice job at a large international firm... I can't say I mind it, and having two boys, maybe it works out better that way.

Although, since I went to the trouble of going to law school and passing the bar, I wouldn't mind seeing some fruits of that labor, but it's not a deal breaker.

Old 06-04-2013, 06:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,708,968 times
Quote:

Funny how that works.
They're trying to do that in New Jersey right now....I better hurry up and file.

Old 06-04-2013, 07:13 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,230,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
For the most part, I would have to agree with that. My sister mentioned above is an executive (sports industry), and also a "supermom" to whatever degree she can muster... she shuttles the kids back & forth to school, cooks - or orders, lol - most of the meals, and does more housework than her husband overall. He does a fair share too, but the traditional gender roles are still present to some degree. They didn't make that a rule or anything, it just seems to come naturally in many cases.

I also know a woman who's a doctor, married to a swing dance instructor, and they have a year-old baby. He is mostly a "house husband" at this point, since in a million years he could never earn what she does; and they live in San Francisco, where $600K won't even buy you a condo. But in terms of "feminism," I have never in my life considered her to be one of those. She just happens to be a brilliant woman, and followed in her doctor father's footsteps with the career choice. As I already asked once, since when is success a feminist thing??
I don't know how it couldn't be and these women are not conforming to gender roles by the way it's told here. They're living life. I tend to cook more than my husband, but it's because I'm a better cook, not because of roles. Any woman not relying on a man for survival, who is educated (formal or otherwise), autonomous, and self-actualized is living feminism.

Old 06-05-2013, 03:30 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,256,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Thanks. But the one I got doesn't want this coconut-chocolate chip cookie.
Not to be condescending in the following remark here, and not to nitpick either, but I have found that some people on this earth don't realize just how good they have it, til it's gone.

I happen to like this Howard Jones tune, and listen to it every so often when I get to reminiscing about females I've met and went with in the past, and wonder what might have turned out different had I made a commitment to one of them.

No One Is To Blame Lyrics - Howard Jones

I once knew a woman, met her when she was 68 years old, she told me her story.
She and husband were both Navy. She was stateside, he was always deployed on a ship, and married for 27 years. Once they retired from the Navy, they had planned all along those 27 years to buy a RV, and go places, see America. She caught him one day on the computer making dates with other women.

After 27 years, she gave him the heave ho, and said goodbye. She bought herself a little bitty RV and a Chevy Van, and went to see America, and is now a happy person, because she's doing what she had wanted to do for 1/2 of her lifetime.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:57 AM

30,420 posts, read 52,052,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I don't know how it couldn't be and these women are not conforming to gender roles by the way it's told here. They're living life. I tend to cook more than my husband, but it's because I'm a better cook, not because of roles. Any woman not relying on a man for survival, who is educated (formal or otherwise), autonomous, and self-actualized is living feminism.
Good point... guess I was thinking "feminazi," not actual feminist.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:24 AM

36,727 posts, read 31,008,318 times
Quote:

Funny how that works.

Actually alimony laws have been changing for sometime now. Its been a few decades since women have beensignificant breadwinners and not been left destitute and dependent after a divorce becausethey had little access to education, no experience or marketable skills. The alimony laws are reflecting that.

Last edited by 2mares; 06-05-2013 at 08:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.