Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:23 PM

10,243 posts, read 19,414,915 times

Advertisements

Well, I try to know about the laws I break, and it's not a small number (I live in NJ and work in NY, both nanny/police states). One I didn't know about is that you have to have a bell on your bike when riding in NYC. Pink basket and streamers are optional. Now I know, though I still don't have a bell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 10:31 PM

78,860 posts, read 47,052,719 times
Between Federal, State & Local laws, how many are there?
Do we all realize here, that every law made, is a restriction of somebodies freedoms. Yours, mine, and the guy down the street.
Laws are not made for freedom, that is what the constitution is. Laws are made to restrict you and me from being free.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:53 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,557,539 times
I smoke pot, I do not speed, I wear my seatbelt, I always stop at stop signs and I do not . When in my 5000 pound truck, I obey the traffic laws, but I have observed that most people, like nine of ten, roll through stop signs. It appears that many feel that if they are not caught, that they did not break the law. Sorry, you still broke the law and you are the one who knows it. There is no excuse for being lax in obeying something as simple or as safe as stopping at the stop sign, or drinking while driving or talking on the cell phone while driving. Ones actions do affect other drivers and the laws are there for a reason, not just to get your feathers ruffled. Oh, I also wear a helmit while riding my bike, I like having a sound skull and a brain to use, no reason to risk it by not wearing a helmit, same with stop signs, it takes little time to come to a complete stop and it gives one the time to make sure the intersection is truly clear. I have not had a ticket since I made a right turn at a red light without stopping when I was 17 in 1977 and got caught by the cop around the side of the gas station. I knew what I did and took the blame and paid the ticket. I swore that they would not get my money again and have assured my self of that by being the safest driver I can be.

Old 05-30-2013, 10:57 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,917,183 times
Speeding

Old 05-30-2013, 11:00 PM

125 posts, read 144,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
I smoke pot, I do not speed, I wear my seatbelt, I always stop at stop signs and I do not . When in my 5000 pound truck, I obey the traffic laws, but I have observed that most people, like nine of ten, roll through stop signs. It appears that many feel that if they are not caught, that they did not break the law. Sorry, you still broke the law and you are the one who knows it. There is no excuse for being lax in obeying something as simple or as safe as stopping at the stop sign, or drinking while driving or talking on the cell phone while driving. Ones actions do affect other drivers and the laws are there for a reason, not just to get your feathers ruffled. Oh, I also wear a helmit while riding my bike, I like having a sound skull and a brain to use, no reason to risk it by not wearing a helmit, same with stop signs, it takes little time to come to a complete stop and it gives one the time to make sure the intersection is truly clear. I have not had a ticket since I made a right turn at a red light without stopping when I was 17 in 1977 and got caught by the cop around the side of the gas station. I knew what I did and took the blame and paid the ticket. I swore that they would not get my money again and have assured my self of that by being the safest driver I can be.
the only time i deliberately roll a stop sign are when coming to a complete stop would allow a line of cars to reach the intersection, for instance, if i'm pulling out of a parking lot and the light a block down just changed.

other than that, i occasionally speed (although nowhere near as bad as when i first got my license--16-year-olds are stupid, , smoke pot occasionally, do harder drugs even more occasionally, and underage drink rather frequently. oh, and illegally download music

Old 05-30-2013, 11:07 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,405,000 times
My pathetic excuse for rolling thru stop signs is because I live in the country. For example going to work the first stop sign I look to my right and roll thru due to hardly ever seeing another car. Same with the second stop sign but the 3rd there is finally some traffic and I do stop everytime it would be dangerous not too. But still it is breaking the law.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 AM

1,730 posts, read 1,371,229 times
I suspect sodomy laws would get a lot of CD posters jailed.

Old 05-31-2013, 04:44 AM

37,887 posts, read 41,362,803 times
Don't tell Mayor Bloomberg in NYC any of these. He may get ideas. This is just one for each state. There are several for each state on this website. You might want to check out your own state and cities to see if any of your behaviors are illegal and you just don't know it.

Dumb Laws in United States. Crazy United States Laws. We have weird laws, strange laws, and just plain crazy laws!

Alabama
If you are in Alabama did you know you can't flick boogers into the wind?

Alaska
If you are in Haines, Alaska did you know you can't carry a conceled slingshot without a license?

Arizona
If you are in Tuscon, Arizona and you are female, did you know you can't wear pants?

Arkansas
If you are in Arkansas did you know you can't beat your wife more than once a month?

California
If you are in California did you know you could be in big trouble if your pet publicly mates within 1500 feet of a bar, school or place of worhip?

Colorado
If you are in Denver, Colorado did you know you can't loan your vacuum cleaner to a neighbor?

Connecticut
If you are in Connecticut, did you know you can't dispose of used razor blades?

Delaware
If you are in Lewes, Delaware did you know you can't wear pants that are "firm fitting" around the waist?

Florida
If you are in Florida did you know you can't kiss your wife's breasts? Since that one just applies to married people, here's one for single women: If you are in Florida, and you are a single woman, did you know you could be fined or jailed for parachuting on a Sunday?

Georgia
If you are in Georgia did you know you can't curse in front of a dead body at a funeral home?

Hawaii
If you are in Hawaii did you know you can't have more than one alcoholic drink in front of you at a time?

Idaho
If you are in Idaho, did you know you can't fish from a camel's back?

Illinois
If you are in Illinois did you know you must have at least a one dollar bill on your person at all times or be arrested for vagrancy?

Indiana
If you are in Indiana, did you know you can't take a bath between October and March?

Iowa
If you are in Iowa, did you know no kiss can last more than 5 minutes?

Kansas
If you are in Derby, Kansas, did you know you can't hit a vending machine that stole your money?

Kentucky
If you live in Owensboro, Kentucky did you know you can't receive anal sex?

Louisiana
Did you know in Louisiana you can't mock any boxing contestant?

Maine
Did you know that in Maine, if your Christmas decorations are still up after January 14, you will be fined?

Maryland
Did you know you can't curse within the city limits in Baltimore, Maryland?

Massachusetts
Did you know in Massachusetts, you can't snore unless your bedroom windows are closed and securely locked?

Michigan
Did you know you could be sued in Michigan if a robber gets hurt in your home?

Minnesota
Did you know that in Minnesota you can't sleep naked?

Mississippi
Did you know that in Mississippi a man can't lie to a woman and claim he will marry her?

Missouri
Did you know that in Kansas City, Missouri you can't install a bathtub with legs that resemble animal paws?

Montana
Did you know that in Montana it's illegal to have a sheep in the cab of your truck without a chaperone?

Nebraska
Did you know that in Nebraska, it's illegal for a mother to give her kid a perm without a state license?

Nevada
Did you know that in Nyala, Nevada it's illegal for a man to buy drinks for more than three people at any one time?

New Hampshire
Did you know that in New Hampshire you can't check into a hotel under an assumed name?

New Jersey
Did you know that in New Jersey, you have to honk before you pass another car, bicyclist, skater or skateboarder?

New Mexico
Did you know that in New Mexico, idiots may not vote?

New York
Did you know that in New York, while riding an elevator, you must talk to no one, fold your hands and look at the door?

North Carolina
Did you know that in North Carolina it's against the law to sing off key?

North Dakota
Did you know that in North Dakota beer and pretzels can't be served at the same time in any bar or restaurant?

Ohio
Did you know that in Ohio women can't wear patent leather shoes in public?

Oklahoma
Did you know that in Oklahoma you can't take a bite out of someone else's hamburger?

Oregon
Did you know that in Oregon, dishes have to drip dry?

Pennsylvania
Did you know that in Pennsylvania you can't sing in the bathtub?

Rhode Island
Did you know that in Rhode Island any marriage is null and void if either party is an idiot or a lunatic?

South Carolina
Did you know that in South Carolina it's a capital offense to inadvertantly kill someone while attempting suicide?

South Dakota
Did you know that in South Dakota it's illegal to lie down and fall asleep in a cheese factory?

Tennessee
Did you know that in Tennessee it's illegal to gather and consume roadkill?

Texas
Did you know that in Texas. it's illegal to take more than 3 sips of a beer at a time while standing?

Utah
Did you know that in Utah it's illegal not to drink milk?

Vermont
Did you know that in Vermont women have to obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth?

Virginia
Did you know that in Virginia there is a law prohibititing corrupt practices of bribery by anyone except the candidate?

Washington
Did you know that in Washington it's illegal to pretend that your parents are rich?

West Virginia
Did you know that in West Virginia it is illegal to snooze on a train?

Wisconsin
Did you know that in Wisconsin it is illegal to kiss on a train?

Wyoming
Did you know that in Wyoming you cannot take a photo of a rabbit from January to April without an official permit?

Old 05-31-2013, 04:52 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,211,862 times
Why do we need all these laws??

Old 05-31-2013, 05:45 AM

45,544 posts, read 26,869,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Why do we need all these laws??
We don't, but the government needs our money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies