Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 10:33 AM

9,962 posts, read 12,396,464 times

Advertisements

This is in relations to the 'terrorist'' attack in Woolwich, London.

The only think I'm hearing on the news today is that we will ''condemn them'' and is ''sickening'' give me a bleading break! British and American troops in the process kill countless civillians which is fairly obvious but it doesn't get broadcasted nor are the government saying anything about it. The reason why these ''terrorists'' did what they did is because of the violence and destruction that is being caused by our troops.

BBC News - Woolwich attack: Footage shows man with bloodied hands
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 10:54 AM

7,956 posts, read 11,857,404 times
Really? The day after you post this thread?

He beheaded a British soldier, in BRITAIN!, in the most recorded and public slaying I can remember! What do you think the media is gonna say? If anything the media has been VERY impartial. The mood on the street is a lot more angry.

And you trying to give explanations for this barbaric and shocking murder is sickening. I agree with a lot of what you have posted in the past but this is one of the most annoying post I have ever read on this site, and that's saying something.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:57 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,619,437 times
It isn't bias - I don't care why their did this, or what their justification was, or what American and British troops are supposedly doing in Afghanistan, there is absolutely no excuse for beheading a completely innocent man with a 2 year-old son in broad daylight, and near a primary school of all places. The only people at fault here are the violent, aggressive and downright evil men who killed this completely innocent man, who was an ARMY CADET, and probably never served in Afghanistan.

This 25 year-old man, starting his life, is leaving behind a wife, a child and countless other people no doubt loved him dearly. Show some respect.

Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,669,425 times
If you want some self-loathing, appeasing, intellectually dishonest journalism which is completely out of touch with what most people actually think and which spares no effort to ignore the elephant in the room then here are a few:

Woolwich attack: The EDL will seek to exploit this evil crime for their own evil ends - Comment - Voices - The Independent

Was the London killing of a British soldier 'terrorism'? | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk

On Woolwich, British media could learn from Swedish riots coverage | Andrew Brown | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk < This one even thinks that the media shouldn't cover it so much!

Woolwich attack: of course British foreign policy had a role | Joe Glenton | Comment is free | The Guardian

If you really want to be encouraged to think that we brought it on ourselves then our own national broadcaster, which we pay for, will help you out there:

Disgraceful interview - Asghar Bukhari on Woolwich soldier murder - YouTube

Old 05-23-2013, 11:14 AM

20,633 posts, read 23,904,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
This is in relations to the 'terrorist'' attack in Woolwich, London.

The only think I'm hearing on the news today is that we will ''condemn them'' and is ''sickening'' give me a bleading break! British and American troops in the process kill countless civillians which is fairly obvious but it doesn't get broadcasted nor are the government saying anything about it. The reason why these ''terrorists'' did what they did is because of the violence and destruction that is being caused by our troops.

BBC News - Woolwich attack: Footage shows man with bloodied hands
Maybe because the vast majority of British people aren't so open as you think they are.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:23 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,284,602 times
Take it to POC...

Not appropriate for the UK Forum as it is applicable to media sources on both sides of the Atlantic, indeed the entire western world.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:35 PM

554 posts, read 737,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
If you want some self-loathing, appeasing, intellectually dishonest journalism which is completely out of touch with what most people actually think and which spares no effort to ignore the elephant in the room then here are a few:
Could you point me to the section of any of the articles you linked to which demonstrate self-loathing, appeasement or intellectual dishonesty?

Can you please also define what the 'elephant in the room' is?

Old 05-23-2013, 12:36 PM

994 posts, read 1,238,275 times
Quote:
If you really want to be encouraged to think that we brought it on ourselves then our own national broadcaster, which we pay for, will help you out there:

Disgraceful interview - Asghar Bukhari on Woolwich soldier murder - YouTube
This is someone being interviewed. It is not a policy statement from the BBC. Do you not think the news should let us know what a variety of people think, even the people who think things that might be wrong?

Not that the guy does actually justify yesterday's murder in any way. When asked to clarify that there could be nothing to justify such a killing, he does so quite unambiguously. His strongest line of criticism is against Muslim organisations, for failing to teach young Muslims about non-violent ways of expressing their unhappiness with British foreign policy. He also criticises the wider failure to look at the relation between terrorism by Muslims in the UK and British foreign policy - and talks about how unhelpful it is that anyone looking for wider causes of ongoing violence is labeled an 'appeaser' of individual cases of violence - something I agree with. Whether it's Islamic terrorism, Irish terrorism, or violence associated with social deprivation or drug addiction, the idea that one cannot both condemn, and also look for root causes, is idiotic and condemns us to ongoing violence.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:19 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:

Was the London killing of a British soldier 'terrorism'? | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
What exactly is self-loathing, intellectually dishonest about the Glenn Greenwald piece? What white elephant in the room is ignoring? An explanation would be helpful.

Much of what he says seems stating the obvious. Foreign policy actions by the US and the UK do inspire Muslim terrorism. It would intellectually dishonest to pretend it isn't true. Does that mean the foreign policy actions are wrong and should be blamed? Maybe, maybe not.

As to the jist of the piece, his discussion on what counts as terrorism seemed both reasonable and logical to me.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:25 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,574,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P London View Post
I agree this is true. But London is not a battlefield, it is a major city. As for this attack, as with the Boston Marathon bombing, yes killing Muslims civilians inspired them. Do the residents care much? Not really. They're just outraged at random killing at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies