Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 10:38 AM

720 posts, read 691,487 times

Advertisements

I happen to be of the opinion, that ALL news media is biased in their reporting. Which is why, when I see something news worthy, I research the issue on my own, and then form my own opinion. Meaning, I read many different points of view, because most of the time, by doing this, I end up with the whole story, not just a one sided story. Now, I cannot say I am totally and completely consistent with it, but I will say that if I don't know the whole story, I try not not comment, or I go find out, and then comment.

I've always held the opinion that, to believe one news media outlet is biased and full of hypocrisy, then you should believe that ALL media outlets are biased, or you get to wear that hypocrisy cap as well.

I see all these threads about how Fox news is so evil, and see other threads about how MSNBC is soo evil, and then I see people blasting blogs for it. I mean really, has common sense evaded everyone? To think they can listen to one media outlet, and gain the entire story, is just plain stupid.

I get that media outlets are owned and operated by different people whom promote THEIR political agendas, but does that make it right? No, which in turn, is exactly why I refuse to believe one over the other!

What has our world turned into, when people keep their points of view, and form their opinions based on the hypocrisy reported? Furthermore, that hypocrisy is evident in ALL media outlets, not just certain ones... We, as people, not currently working, or residing where the supposed incidents happen, will NEVER really know the truth, so battling over which news channel reported it correctly is a bit redundant and close minded...

Okay, rant over about news media. Bash away as you see fit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2010, 10:48 AM

5,821 posts, read 5,305,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justanothermanger View Post
I happen to be of the opinion, that ALL news media is biased in their reporting. Which is why, when I see something news worthy, I research the issue on my own, and then form my own opinion. Meaning, I read many different points of view, because most of the time, by doing this, I end up with the whole story, not just a one sided story. Now, I cannot say I am totally and completely consistent with it, but I will say that if I don't know the whole story, I try not not comment, or I go find out, and then comment.

I've always held the opinion that, to believe one news media outlet is biased and full of hypocrisy, then you should believe that ALL media outlets are biased, or you get to wear that hypocrisy cap as well.

I see all these threads about how Fox news is so evil, and see other threads about how MSNBC is soo evil, and then I see people blasting blogs for it. I mean really, has common sense evaded everyone? To think they can listen to one media outlet, and gain the entire story, is just plain stupid.

I get that media outlets are owned and operated by different people whom promote THEIR political agendas, but does that make it right? No, which in turn, is exactly why I refuse to believe one over the other!

What has our world turned into, when people keep their points of view, and form their opinions based on the hypocrisy reported? Furthermore, that hypocrisy is evident in ALL media outlets, not just certain ones... We, as people, not currently working where the supposed incidents happen, will NEVER really know the truth, so battling over which news channel reported it correctly is a bit redundant and close minded...

Okay, rant over about news media. Bash away as you see fit.

A lot of good points here.

I wait several days before reading more than headlines,
and just listening to people talk about big stories. There
is so much information going around, it is hard to find the
truth.

I just wish they would report the facts. Not the party line.
The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:49 AM

952 posts, read 942,878 times
you sound biased...

Old 08-27-2010, 11:57 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy5 View Post
A lot of good points here.

I wait several days before reading more than headlines,
and just listening to people talk about big stories. There
is so much information going around, it is hard to find the
truth.

I just wish they would report the facts. Not the party line.
The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

But you can be biased even while reporting only facts. Every news media outlet must decide what to report on. Those decisions reflect their bias.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,479,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
But you can be biased even while reporting only facts. Every news media outlet must decide what to report on. Those decisions reflect their bias.
Agreed.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:17 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
The problem isn't in the facts. Its in what they decide to exclude or omit and what they decide to expand upon to the point of embellishment.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
What's funny is sometimes something reported is quickly dismissed as media lies because from one source or another, but when you look they are either simply reprinting from another news source.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:21 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,946,157 times
I agree that all news media is biased in some way or another. Some switch their positions too making it even more confusing. But, I think that is the way it has always been. I listen to all of it regardless of what side it leans to and then decide which viewpoints to further investigate. Sometimes it is nice to get both perspectives.

All media is evil in some way or another. Journalism has gotten so sloppy that I cannot remember the last time I watched a news program and they didn't have a correction to a previously reported story...

Old 08-27-2010, 12:23 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,201,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
The problem isn't in the facts. Its in what they decide to exclude or omit and what they decide to expand upon to the point of embellishment.
Yes, this would be the more accurate way to describe it.

People yell "bah lies" when it's a story that is reporting, for example, economic numbers that the government provides. Don't blame the media source they didn't make up a consumer spending or employment number out of this air, question BLS methods instead.

Also - anyone who thinks the tens of thousands of journalists from disparate backgrounds and political leanings are all controlled by the government to report only rosy pictures has their common sense filter missing.

Old 08-27-2010, 12:25 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,578,050 times
Hell yea its slanted. If it cant be spun or Filtered to their liking it doesnt get reported. In my humble opinion the worst ones are the NYT and as much as I hate to admit it FOX
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies