Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 12:14 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,563,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starman71 View Post
In any major college scholarship guide you will find (for example):

The Amy Tan scholarship for the most qualified Asian applicant in Journalism.
The Susan B Anthony scholarship for the most qualified female applicant in politics.
The George Washington Carver scholarship for the most qualified African-American applicant in Science.
The Abdul ibn Walazari scholarship for the most qualified male of Mid-Eastern descent in chemistry.
You get the point.

But if someone were to offer the Nathan Bedford Forrest Scholarship for the most qualified white applicant from Pulaski, TN, then the screams would be heard on the moon (even if the name were something less offensive).

You can't claim equality and NOT agree these types of scholarships are fair. They may offend you, but if some are allowed to place qualifiers on their scholarships - regardless of religion, sex, national origin, etc. - then all should be allowed.

This is called equality.

There are already MANY scholarships for "Whites" but too many Whites are so busy worrying about everyone else to seek them out.

Scholarships that Target White Ethnicities -- Diversity is also White

US-Ireland Alliance: FAQ | Scholarships

Polish Scholarship Fund, Inc. - Sponsorship

The National Italian American Foundation

Sons of Norway Foundation — Scholarships

PanHellenic Scholarship Foundation

The National Italian American Foundation

Grant Funding for Irish American Symposium: The Celtic Irish Cosmos | Illinois Humanities Council

http://www.cttech.org/WILCOX/School-...o-American.PDF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:35 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,416,312 times
Default What a supremely ignorant idea

"Whites only" existed for CENTURIES before the most enlightened in this country (non-bigots) fought to change the laws. Now you Conservatives want to pretend as if expressly making a "whites only" scholarship is OK because it superficially sounds like all the other scholarships which recognize those whose road have been infinitely more difficult and are members of groups who have been historically disadvantaged? Utterly stupid and absurd.

Whites are not part of the class of people who have been historically discriminated against in this country, and today enjoy the benefits of an "unearned privilege." Simply having white skin affords whites a greater degree of consideration, a far easier time of it, and far, far less adversity to overcome. A "whites only" anything is pure Klan-speak, and barbaric ignorance in its supreme form.

Race matters. Blacks and native Americans have been negatively impacted far more than any other minority race, and therefore deserve more consideration across the board. Blacks for instance are discriminated against today (and for centuries) as a matter of course, their road far more difficult simply because of the color of their skin. This harder road is one whites don't ever (and have never) come close to experiencing, and it should be recognized. A black kid who applies to Berkeley with a 4.0 GPA had to travel much further to get there than his/her white counterpart with the same average simply because the color of his/her skin meant he/she was given less consideration every step of the way.

A "whites only" scholarship is about the greatest symbol of regression and ignorance since the unveiling of the Confederate flag.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:43 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,805,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
I don't have a problem with this. But if they are forced to change it, then lets change every scholarship based on race, sex, creed, physical disability, sexual orientation et al.
I have a hard time disagreeing with you on this!

Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,955,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Seeing how the vast majority of scholarships are funded, or at least started, by the people they seek to benefit... are you sure you want to blame minorities for caring about other minorities? I feel like there's a more specific group you can target for White Males not having enough scholarships...
I am not blaming minorities, I look at things as being equal. In a true world we have one of two methods for these scholarships. One we have white males able to get specialized scholarships the same way as we saw on the first page. The second is we eliminate all the criteria based on race and gender.

I think option 1 is good but yet society sees the white male only scholarship as racist and sexist while other ethnic and gender classes are fine to exclude. This hypocritical thinking is what annoys me to no end. If all white males had it easy to goto college and didn't need loans or grants, FINE they don't need scholarships. But the fact is the growing number of white males heading into college do. White females can apply for female scholarships but there are none that help white males.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Yep, it's time to stop riding the "I'm black" gravy train and stop complaining. Not every middle class white male has college resources. I am not racist but Damn! I am sick of hearing people complaining about everything. Do like the rest of us and stop whining and find a way.
I admit, there are issues that being a "woman" or "black" that are still hot button issues but the problem is now if anything happens it is the kneejerk response that you are racist or sexist. Look at how many people say that we are racist and Johnny Rebs for wanting white male only scholarships. I am not a klan member, if I were I would not have dated an African-American woman at all (racial mixing is frowned upon) and I would have to denounce my religion (Catholicism) and convert to Protestantism.

I know this is the way it is with me and I am sure there are others who are in the same boat. I have Montaulk Indian (way too far removed for tribal cards), Irish, German, Dutch, Hungarian, Canadian, French, English and possibly another one or two nationalities in me. I am a second Gen American on my mom's side and no idea on my father's side. The issue is we see a lot of the "white" scholarships being nationality based. As you can see from me, there are a lot of nationalities in my bloodline and only three of the listed scholarships I could apply for, one is German and two are Irish. That says something with the mixed European bloodline I have.

Old 05-16-2013, 04:22 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,149,139 times

That's not the issue. We already knOW that these scholarships exist. The hue and cry over this is that You don't hear many European-Americans screaming over the unfairness or discrimination over not being allowed to apply for the "George Washington Carver" Scholarship or the "Amy Tan" scholarship, because, frankly, they understand that those are for specific minorities. It's not the problem.

But offer a different scholarship based on a gender or national origin not offered to the minorities - this is when we hear the screams of discrimination.

It's very simple: People cannot demand equality and state these "whites-only" scholarships are unfair. This is a pure example of logic and reasoning. Stating anything else is just absurd.

Last edited by Starman71; 05-16-2013 at 04:38 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 04:36 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,149,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexusNexus View Post
"Whites only" existed for CENTURIES before the most enlightened in this country (non-bigots) fought to change the laws. Now you Conservatives want to pretend as if expressly making a "whites only" scholarship is OK because it superficially sounds like all the other scholarships which recognize those whose road have been infinitely more difficult and are members of groups who have been historically disadvantaged? Utterly stupid and absurd.

Whites are not part of the class of people who have been historically discriminated against in this country, and today enjoy the benefits of an "unearned privilege." Simply having white skin affords whites a greater degree of consideration, a far easier time of it, and far, far less adversity to overcome. A "whites only" anything is pure Klan-speak, and barbaric ignorance in its supreme form.

Race matters. Blacks and native Americans have been negatively impacted far more than any other minority race, and therefore deserve more consideration across the board. Blacks for instance are discriminated against today (and for centuries) as a matter of course, their road far more difficult simply because of the color of their skin. This harder road is one whites don't ever (and have never) come close to experiencing, and it should be recognized. A black kid who applies to Berkeley with a 4.0 GPA had to travel much further to get there than his/her white counterpart with the same average simply because the color of his/her skin meant he/she was given less consideration every step of the way.

A "whites only" scholarship is about the greatest symbol of regression and ignorance since the unveiling of the Confederate flag.
Let me explain something that is very simple to understand, if not so simple to accept:

I did not exist during the time of the slave trade. I never owned slaves, never worked as a foreman on a southern plantation, and never owned a special bedsheet for the occasional night out on the town. So forgive me when I state that I WILL NOT BE HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR THE SINS OF MY FATHERS, NOR OF MY RACE OR GENDER!!! I was not responsible for paving those roads that were harder to travel, I was not responsible for the laws passed that kept them down, and I was not responsible for their lack of opportunity. So stop with this bleeding heart sh*t and crying that every God D*mn generation that follows must be held to account for the past.

I did not create that past so I will damn well not be held answerable to it! How many generations must pass before the debt is paid, hmm?

I will treat my fellow man (and woman) - regardless of their race, color, religion, national origin and orientation - with all of the respect that these fellow members of humanity deserve until they either earn more or garner less, based on individual worth. I am, without a doubt, color blind - believe it or not.

We - well, most people - have bent over backwards in the last 3 decades or so making sure that those that were oppressed have been getting the equal treatment they deserve as members of humanity and society. Sure, there are gains still to be made. But let's not swing that pendulum so far to the other side that you forget that EVERYONE DESERVES THIS EQUAL TREATMENT, AND NOT AT THE EXPENSE OF ANY OTHER GROUP!!

This is so simple a concept that it's ridiculous to even type, but I'm sure some people need to hear it: What's fair is fair. Don't cry for equality at the expense of others. Unfortunately, the world is still of discriminating people - not all of which are "white."

Last edited by Starman71; 05-16-2013 at 04:48 AM..

Old 05-16-2013, 04:41 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,882,586 times
Quote:

What a very racist post. Perhaps you might need to attend diversity training.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:53 AM

207 posts, read 433,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Draper View Post
You said Whites don't get his scholarship and there are plenty of White students who have received it. I suppose you think the White recipients are fake
To Don Draper. Straight from Bill's scholarship website...

http://www.gmsp.org/publicweb/faq.aspx

"Students are eligible to be considered for a GMS scholarship if they: Are African American, American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian Pacific Islander American** or Hispanic American Are a citizen, national or legal permanent resident of the United States Have attained a cumulative high school GPA of 3.3 on an unweighted 4.0 scale or have earned a GED Will enroll for the first time at a U.S. located, accredited*** college or university (with the exception of students concurrently pursuing a high school diploma) in the fall of 2013 as a full-time, degree-seeking, first-year student. First-time college enrollees can also be GED recipients. Have demonstrated leadership abilities through participation in community service, extracurricular, or other activities Meet the Federal Pell Grant eligibility criteria Have completed and submitted all three required forms: the student’s application (Nominee Personal Information Form), an evaluation of the student’s academic record (Nominator Form) and an evaluation of the student’s community service and leadership activities(Recommender Form) by the deadline *American Indian/Alaska Native Requirements: American Indian/Alaska Natives will be asked to provide proof of tribal enrollment or certificate of descent from a U.S. Federal or State recognized tribe if selected as a GMS finalist. **Asian Pacific Islander American includes persons having origins from Asia and/or Pacific Islands. Asian includes persons having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia or the Indian subcontinent. Pacific Islander includes persons having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa or other Pacific Islands. Citizens of the republic of the Marshall Islands, Federated States of Micronesia and the Republic of Palau are eligible to be nominated. This is not an all inclusive list. Please see the U.S. Census Bureau listing at www.census.gov."

Whites need not apply to be a Bill Gates Millenium Scholar. The picture you brought up was his program for awarding 'underprivileged' high schools grants, and a handful of students from these selected high schools are awarded scholarships.

Last edited by PGC Native; 05-16-2013 at 06:02 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 AM

207 posts, read 433,040 times
Quote:

We get it...to you whitey is bad and evil and must repent for the rest of time. It's scary that public schools are teaching this mindset. I had to endure this spiel in Into to Sociology as a college freshman. This argument holds pretty weak when we have a black family in the white house.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 AM

59,315 posts, read 27,477,308 times
Quote:

Yet you haven't complained about "blacks only" scholarships. Hmm!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies