Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2013, 02:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,954,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Richard Nixon was impeached for making the IRS go after his political opponents.

(cue the liberals whiners who will point out Nixon wasn't impeached... since he got out of town just ahead of the posse)

But today, when Obama does the same thing, all the IRS has to do is say "Oops, I'm sorry", and that makes it all better.
i am not a liberal, but nixon was not impeached, though articles of impeachment were approved by the house judiciary committee, they just never made it to the full house floor for a vote before nixon resigned.

and dont forget that during the clinton years the IRS was tasked with auditing conservative groups as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:07 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,991,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Richard Nixon was impeached for making the IRS go after his political opponents.

(cue the liberals whiners who will point out Nixon wasn't impeached... since he got out of town just ahead of the posse)

But today, when Obama does the same thing, all the IRS has to do is say "Oops, I'm sorry", and that makes it all better.
The difference is, according to the article, that the Ohio IRS personnel weren't ordered by Obama or said they had political motives.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:14 PM

27,745 posts, read 16,258,182 times
My God does the party of NO Shame have any sane members left to denounce this

Old 05-10-2013, 02:27 PM

500 posts, read 377,070 times
I apologize for this thread. There are at least four threads about this now, one of which was started before I started this one.

I ask the moderator to merge then all into this one, which at first glance, appears to be the first one started by smittyjohnny:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ve-groups.html

Old 05-10-2013, 03:17 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,898,822 times
This story is blowing up quick. Actually, shockingly, all the main stream media is reporting on the story.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,080,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
[URL="http://finance.yahoo.com/news/irs-apologizes-targeting-conservative-groups-144349480.html?l=1"]IRS apologizes for targeting conservative groups - Yahoo! Finance[/URL]

Naturally it was "low level" workers fault!
the Buck coesn't stop with Obama. It never gets close - ever, never. And it gets within 1,000 miles, he hides under his bed with hi Etch a Sketch as his did on 911 duriong the BG attack.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:32 PM

41,000 posts, read 49,390,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
This story is blowing up quick. Actually, shockingly, all the main stream media is reporting on the story.
No one is exempt from the anger or rile of the IRS if they so elect. Any party in power could use the IRS to abuse, destroy and imprison any American no matter their politics.

Old 05-10-2013, 03:52 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,410,934 times
There is a long history of the IRS being used as a political cudgel. FDR did it. Other presidents did it too.

New Deal Or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America - Burton W. Folsom, Jr. - Google Books

It's just another example of why a limited government approach is the way to go. With big government, inevitably the power will be usurped and abused by not nice people.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:01 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,798,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
There is a long history of the IRS being used as a political cudgel. FDR did it. Other presidents did it too.

New Deal Or Raw Deal?: How FDR's Economic Legacy Has Damaged America - Burton W. Folsom, Jr. - Google Books

It's just another example of why a limited government approach is the way to go. With big government, inevitably the power will be usurped and abused by not nice people.
Limited government is not immune to abuse. Transparency is the key.

Old 05-10-2013, 04:26 PM

23,655 posts, read 17,564,801 times
Default I like this person's post after the article---

ldo
Huh ?
How about investigating ALL Tax Exempt organizations. The biggest problem areas will probably be Progressive Churches and Democrat Liberal Progressive Non-Profit organizations claiming Tax Exemption status.

What about the IRS NOT:
  1. Taking to Federal Court the 41 Obama White House staffers, and some of their aides, along with HUNDREDS of Congressional Representatives and HUNDREDS of government workers who continue to NOT PAY THEIR BACK IRS TAXES ?
  2. Terminating paying out about $ 4,200,000,000 per year (and rising) to Illegal Aliens (Immigrants) who file IRS tax returns using their ITIN and claiming the Additional Child Tax Credit for children, NOT THEIRS, living in MEXICO.
The IRS is not a proper steward of American taxpayer dollars but is finding time to go after tax exempt organizations.
I can hardly wait to hear the horror stories when the IRS comes after YOU with a hefty tax after finding out YOU don't have the "proper" health insurance plan.
The IRS is "tainted" from TOP to bottom. Folks like Lerner should be FIRED, along with the HEAD of the IRS.
I am a firm believer that ALL government agencies are littered with incompetency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies