Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 02:50 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,409,560 times

Advertisements

Some of you probably know about the problems I've been going through even though I am young. I just wanted to know why is it that if you have any kind of real disability the only thing this country really has to offer you is to go on the dole and then in turn be persecuted by the "working folk". Also alot of politicians bend on their knees for you to vote for them as well once you are on the dole. Discrimination laws are a joke and there are even people who are against discrimination laws and employers are still getting away with it. I'd love to get a job instead of having to rely on a little SSI payment. I think it actually hurts my chances. I'm still allowed to work I just have to report the income I make to the social security office every month with pay stubs from the employer. But I'm already having a problem finding a job......any job. Who knew it would be so tough to get employed in fast food or a grocery shop. But it is where I am.

There just seems to be no opportunity for people with disabilities unless you are lucky and have the connections. Vocational Rehabilitation is a waste of taxpayer money. I wasted almost a year of my life with this organization and only got my drivers license out of it. Since 18 I've tried filling out job applications, I've been to independent agencies, I've tried posting ads on craigslist, I've tried talking to people on the streets, I've tried temp agency offices (who just want you to sign up for stuff instead of getting to WORK), I've tried walking in places, calling back companies in the phone books, my next idea is that I've made 2 poster boards saying that I'm looking for a job and will take anything. I plan to go on intersections and fly them. VR as it's called was worthless to me. They expected me to find a job with no transportation. Somehow I don't think being able to work monday through wednesday 12-3 is a very attractive application compared to someone who has no commitments. I am very ashamed of this country, and I do wish working folks would ease off on the disabled-difficulty-working bashing. Some of us have real issues either physical or mental. We are human just like you trying to survive. You have to remember that some of us really want to work...we are few and far between and we are out there. We aren't happy living in poverty. As the days pass by I wonder if I am dealing with things outside of my control. My real life stopped when I turned 16. Everything has been a blur since then. Meanwhile my life is wasting away and I go in circles. One day I feel hopeful and the next day I don't even want to be alive after all the corruption and issues I see that are allowed to go on while nobody does a thing about them in this world.

I've talked to people and had this conversation with people from all different walks of life and all have the same attitude towards my situation. That me wanting to work is a bad thing. But why? How did such a negative mentality infest itself into the conciousness of americans? It's crazy because I hear people who are outraged at the welfare system, and then I hear people who say if you have a recognized disability you wanting to work is a joke. Why is it a joke for? I actually have pride in myself and prefer to take responsibility instead of relying on others to foot the bill. I don't agree with wealth redistribution. Especially not when it's from people who are barely making it as it is.

My question to america is.....instead of giving me an SSI payment every month why don't you give me a job I can handle with my impairment.......I'd get alot more satisfaction out of my life then. My impairment has improved in recent years from when I was younger. I may have a disability but I want to WORK and I hope one day my life changes around. I do wish more people would be willing not to give me a handout but help me be able to take care of myself.

What was the age old lesson....give a man a fish and you feed him today. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Perfect saying but America isn't interested in practicing the latter. Just wealth redistribution.

Well it hurts people like me.

Last edited by parried; 04-08-2013 at 02:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2013, 03:12 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,234,949 times
You are young and i am old and pretty severely handicapped. Do not despair you will find your way and maybe more than once. You and only you in your situation can reinvent yourself or your life.
I learned very early on that the best defense against depression or your situation is looking around and you will see someone worse off than you. You are a smart person and your words alone can help you and someone else. YOU have a Drivers License. Look around you a see how those that don't have a license live. Sure you might be able to own a car or afford the gas but you that step ahead of so many others. You have computer skills that many others do not and you have good reading and writing abilities(think how bad it would be to not be able to express your self). Find somewhere to help out or volunteer and you will be starting you a new network. and this will lead you down the road to a better happier life,new friends and a better feeling about yourself.

Things you have going for you.
1.Age- You are young
2. You have computer skills
3.You have goods reading and writing comprehension
4. You have Drivers License
5. YOU WANT TO WORK!

I think around here you will find more people wanting to degrade and vilify you than have any sympathy or advice.

One thing i have noticed over the years is that when ever a handicapped person reveals it on an internet forum there are so many whole bodied people feel you need their advice whether you asked for it or not.lol

Old 04-08-2013, 03:21 PM

78,350 posts, read 60,547,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
Some of you probably know about the problems I've been going through even though I am young. I just wanted to know why is it that if you have any kind of real disability the only thing this country really has to offer you is to go on the dole and then in turn be persecuted by the "working folk". Also alot of politicians bend on their knees for you to vote for them as well once you are on the dole. Discrimination laws are a joke and there are even people who are against discrimination laws and employers are still getting away with it. I'd love to get a job instead of having to rely on a little SSI payment. I think it actually hurts my chances. I'm still allowed to work I just have to report the income I make to the social security office every month with pay stubs from the employer. But I'm already having a problem finding a job......any job. Who knew it would be so tough to get employed in fast food or a grocery shop. But it is where I am.

There just seems to be no opportunity for people with disabilities unless you are lucky and have the connections. Vocational Rehabilitation is a waste of taxpayer money. I wasted almost a year of my life with this organization and only got my drivers license out of it. Since 18 I've tried filling out job applications, I've been to independent agencies, I've tried posting ads on craigslist, I've tried talking to people on the streets, I've tried temp agency offices (who just want you to sign up for stuff instead of getting to WORK), I've tried walking in places, calling back companies in the phone books, my next idea is that I've made 2 poster boards saying that I'm looking for a job and will take anything. I plan to go on intersections and fly them. VR as it's called was worthless to me. They expected me to find a job with no transportation. Somehow I don't think being able to work monday through wednesday 12-3 is a very attractive application compared to someone who has no commitments. I am very ashamed of this country, and I do wish working folks would ease off on the disabled-difficulty-working bashing. Some of us have real issues either physical or mental. We are human just like you trying to survive. You have to remember that some of us really want to work...we are few and far between and we are out there. We aren't happy living in poverty. As the days pass by I wonder if I am dealing with things outside of my control. My real life stopped when I turned 16. Everything has been a blur since then. Meanwhile my life is wasting away and I go in circles. One day I feel hopeful and the next day I don't even want to be alive after all the corruption and issues I see that are allowed to go on while nobody does a thing about them in this world.

I've talked to people and had this conversation with people from all different walks of life and all have the same attitude towards my situation. That me wanting to work is a bad thing. But why? How did such a negative mentality infest itself into the conciousness of americans? It's crazy because I hear people who are outraged at the welfare system, and then I hear people who say if you have a recognized disability you wanting to work is a joke. Why is it a joke for? I actually have pride in myself and prefer to take responsibility instead of relying on others to foot the bill. I don't agree with wealth redistribution. Especially not when it's from people who are barely making it as it is.

My question to america is.....instead of giving me an SSI payment every month why don't you give me a job I can handle with my impairment.......I'd get alot more satisfaction out of my life then. My impairment has improved in recent years from when I was younger. I may have a disability but I want to WORK and I hope one day my life changes around. I do wish more people would be willing not to give me a handout but help me be able to take care of myself.

What was the age old lesson....give a man a fish and you feed him today. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.

Perfect saying but America isn't interested in practicing the latter. Just wealth redistribution.

Not sure what your impairment is but based upon what you wrote you are obviously intelligent and literate and could be doing something using those skills quite easily. With that said, I can appreciate your frustration but with the approaches you are taking SOMETHING is going to work out for you if you keep at it.

My suggestion is to find the local news, pick a specific reporter and send them what you just wrote and ask if they would mind featuring you on the news. I would think that would produce results for you.

In fact, make a form letter and email to 20-30 news agencies, reporters, Oprah (not joking) and just push getting the word out. Something will work out, might take a little time but I predict that you will eventually catch a break and not look back.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Not sure what your impairment is but based upon what you wrote you are obviously intelligent and literate and could be doing something using those skills quite easily. With that said, I can appreciate your frustration but with the approaches you are taking SOMETHING is going to work out for you if you keep at it.

My suggestion is to find the local news, pick a specific reporter and send them what you just wrote and ask if they would mind featuring you on the news. I would think that would produce results for you.

In fact, make a form letter and email to 20-30 news agencies, reporters, Oprah (not joking) and just push getting the word out. Something will work out, might take a little time but I predict that you will eventually catch a break and not look back.
I WOULD CONSIDER THAT "HEY LOOK AT POOR LITTLE ME."
Millions like this person in the same boat.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:33 PM

I had to come back and say. No it won't be easy because very few things worth having in life are easy or fair. As you get older you will see quite a few things that are slanted against a handicapped person. Look at the bright side. There has just about never been a better time to be handicapped. So many medical discoveries and the general populations more acceptance of handicapped persons as well.
I am an eternal Optimist.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post

VA Careers Home

MyCareer@VA

Old 04-08-2013, 03:45 PM

I didn't know this person is a veteran.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:47 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,238,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
I didn't know this person is a veteran.
Doesn't matter, the VA hires other people besides vets. The VA is EEO.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:50 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,224,621 times
I am hearing disabled and I can't work at jobs that require communication in a load environment. That doesn't mean I can't work at other jobs though.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Doesn't matter, the VA hires other people besides vets. The VA is EEO.
That is great. This old dog never knew that. You can learn something every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies