Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2012, 08:53 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times

Advertisements

This article states that Congress in 2011 passed fewer bills, did less debating, held fewer votes etc. etc. than in any Congressional year since records have been kept since, well, whenever it was started.

I'm not sure why they phrase it as a BAD thing, though.

The Framers deliberately designed this government to be a cantankerous, difficult machine for getting anything done... because they believed that people could get along just fine without government sticking its nose into eveything, regulating everything, restricting everything. Or at least most things. The way they designed it, four very different groups had to agree before any bill could become law and stay that way: (1) a group of citizen-legislators (House), (2) a group of professional politicians (Senate), a single man of high integrity (President), and a group of men sitting as judges, who were often lawyers (Courts). Only if all four of those groups all agreed, could a bill become a law and not get tossed out later.

Some of those definitions, especially the third, might sound unfamiliar today. But that's how they designed it.

Sounds to me like, at long last, government is starting to act exactly as it is supposed to. The fewer regulations and restrictions (that's ALL a government can do) that get passed, the better off we all are.

And we can directly thank the House freshmen of 2010, who, also at long last, hold similar views to the Framers themselves.

So what's the problem here?
----------------------------------------------------------------

Congress logs most futile legislative year on record - Washington Times

Congress logs most futile legislative year on record
Outlook for House, Senate also shows scant accomplishment for ‘12 session

by Stephen Dinan
The Washington Times
Sunday, January 15, 2012

It’s official: Congress ended its least-productive year in modern history after passing 80 bills — fewer than during any other session since year-end records began being kept in 1947.

Furthermore, an analysis by The Washington Times of the scope of such activities as time spent in debate, number of conference reports produced and votes taken on the House and Senate floors found that Congress set a record for legislative futility by accomplishing less in 2011 than any other year in history.

The Senate’s record was weakest by a huge margin, according to the futility index, and the House had its 10th-worst session on record.

Of the bills the 112th Congress did pass, the majority were housekeeping measures, such as naming post office buildings or extending existing laws. Sometimes, it was too difficult for the two chambers to hammer out agreements. More often, the Senate failed to reach agreement within the chamber.

That left much of the machinery of the federal government on autopilot, with the exception of spending, where monumental clashes dominated the legislative session.

“Absent unified party control with a bolstered Senate majority, I think it’s just very hard to get things done, particularly in a period when revenues aren’t growing and the decisions are how to cut, and how to cut in the long term,” said Sarah Binder, who studies Congress as a Brookings Institution scholar and professor at George Washington University. “Congress just isn’t very good at solving long-term problems.”

The futility record could be short-lived. The full House returns from a monthlong Christmas break on Tuesday to begin the second session, but all sides expect election-year paralysis, meaning some of the usually routine bills may run into trouble.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2012, 08:54 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Doesn't bother me a bit.

Old 01-16-2012, 08:59 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Yes, it is a bad thing. Governments are supposed to get things done, to work--that is after all what we pay them for. We can debate about what they should or shouldn't be doing, but it's bad when they can't agree on how to follow through with the most basic of government functions-like, say, budgets, taxation, borrowing, among many other things.

Our congress is an embarassment to our country and an absolute disgrace.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:15 PM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,370 times
I agree that this congress is a disgrace----a totally inept, incompetent, and pathetic failure. This Congress has been spearheaded by an element that has trained its footsoldiers to flood the process with idealogy, slogans, and by all mean total avoidance of responsibilty dealing with the very serious problems that face our country.

This large segment of legislative avoiders and stonewallers have been meticulously coached that their goal is to defeat the incumbent President in any fashion they can-----and that the easiest way to do this is to gridlock and tie up the congressional process.

To their chagrin their plan is falling apart----the approval rating of our esteemed legislators sits at around 10%.

I am not advocating a political sway here----I am moderate and an independent. However, one thing I wont be independent about is the foolish tripe and trash that our congressional legislators are giving to us----both dems and repubs.

We have devastating problems facing this country---huge problems. Stop playing games---get to work-----Please remember the name of your congressional legislator and in fact ask them and their office what they are doing to solve our problems. If you think they are stonewalling, than invite them to retire in November.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Yes, it is a bad thing. Governments are supposed to get things done, to work--that is after all what we pay them for. We can debate about what they should or shouldn't be doing, but it's bad when they can't agree on how to follow through with the most basic of government functions-like, say, budgets, taxation, borrowing, among many other things.

Our congress is an embarassment to our country and an absolute disgrace.
Failure to pass a budget is the only major issue I really have with Congress at the moment. I might remind you and others that it's Democrats who have utterly failed in this piece of governance. Harry Reid and Democrats have failed to take up a budget in over 980 days.

The real question then becomes: How far will you go chastising Democrats until you hold short in order to not let your ire spill over into Barack Obama's column....particularly as it effects his re-election chances?

My guess is that you're not that upset. Democrat incumbents will still get your vote.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:56 PM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Failure to pass a budget is the only major issue I really have with Congress at the moment.
Really?

The clowns in congress showing such a poor understanding of reality and such a blind following of party ideology (namely, that everything the other party does is the worst thing ever) that our country's credit rating got downgraded isn't a pretty big issue?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Really?

The clowns in congress showing such a poor understanding of reality and such a blind following of party ideology (namely, that everything the other party does is the worst thing ever) that our country's credit rating got downgraded isn't a pretty big issue?
There are plenty of issues that i'm not happy with. But lets be fair...our credit rating was not downgraded as a result of 2011 alone...it's the result of the last 11 years and beyond. If i'm going to point the finger at anyone, it certainly won't be the year 2011 and one political party. It would start 50 years ago with Lyndon B. Johson's Great Society.

If I had to place a bet, i'd wager that your "blind following to party ideology" comment is aimed directly at the GOP.....meaning you have no intentions of blaming Democrats for their equally obstructive views in 2011 or years prior. Right?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:05 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times
haha, go to your boss and tell them your production was down from the previous year. Then tell them it's a good thing and see how they react.

Of course if this were a Dem controlled house the title would read "What a waste of tax dollars! Congress isn't productive!" Then go on with the usual pseudo outrage and standard go-to talking points.

So for a change, why not try and get real? There is a direct correlation between a tea party controlled house that essentially produces little more than gridlock and an approval rating of 9%. Am I really surprised you applaud such a result?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:30 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
I actually think the house and senate should follow Obamas lead and play more golf, take more vacations and play more basketball. The less they legislate, the less they screw up. While I agree that a budget should have been in place 3 years ago, and still hasn't, I really wish they had not passed the 2000 page health care disaster and I really wish the president would stop circumventing the constitution and doing things without congressional approval. We don't need a dictator here, we need a leader. Someone who can actually work with both sides to accomplish common and practical goals. We need a smaller and more efficient government that is more responsive to the people who sent them to Washington. As it stands now virtually every bill passed has a bunch of crap in it that we don't need but will be forced to pay for. It has gotten ridiculous.

Old 01-17-2012, 07:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Not happy they couldn't come up with a budget and had to raise the debt ceiling but I am happy that no major spending bills got passed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies