Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 02:51 PM

1,923 posts, read 2,413,164 times

Advertisements

I need a job is what I need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 02:57 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,262,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parried View Post
I need a job is what I need.
Do you acknowledge your asset? I am the most understanding guy i think you most likely could ever talk too but i don't put up for whiners when they can do something about it. Some one that is very depressed cannot just go out there and do it. I think you fir that picture. There are people in wheel chairs is worse shape than you. What is your advice to them? Have you considered any volunteer work?
Please answer my questions.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:05 PM

I'm the type of person who speaks out while "doing something about it". I didn't want this thread to turn into a thread talking about me but more of how screwed up priorities are in this country.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:49 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,123,434 times
Quote:

My question to america is.....instead of giving me an SSI payment every month why don't you give me a job I can handle with my impairment.......I'd get alot more satisfaction out of my life then. My impairment has improved in recent years from when I was younger. I may have a disability but I want to WORK and I hope one day my life changes around. I do wish more people would be willing not to give me a handout but help me be able to take care of myself.
The answer to your question: It's not up to "America" to give you a job. It's not anybody's obligation to pay you to do work you are not able to do, or even pay you to do work you are able to do. I don't know what your handicap is but just wanting to work is not good enough, you have to be able to do the job. I'm not trying to sound mean, and I applaud you for wanting to get out and do it and support yourself, but it's not the place of the gov't to find you a job, nor is it the responsibility of any business owner to just hand you a job if you cannot be reasonably accommodated or are not the best candidate. You also need to remember the job market right now is tough for everyone.

That being said, there are a ton of companies that offer legitimate work from home employment, I was just looking at them today. Some of these include LiveOps, 1800Flowers, there are a lot of freelance writing jobs, transcribing (check mturk.com for lots of them, but they don't pay a ton). There are a lot of opportunities and people would never even know you're disabled (depending what your handicap is). You can make things to sell on Etsy, do graphic design...the possibilities are truly endless if you keep an open mind.

I feel like your entire OP was just sort of ranting, though, and you have a poor attitude about life in general. Maybe that is why you're not finding a job, since attitude can make or break it for a potential employer.

You said you don't want a handout but for people to help you take care of yourself...that is basically a handout, though.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Aspergers.
Then working from home is a perfect opportunity for you. However, what I said still stands, employers probably will not even know you have a disability, at least not when they hire you, unless you are wearing it like a scarlet letter.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
At first Vocrehab seemed to be like anything else, I went to alot of appointments for no reason. Then it took me 2 months to get my drivers license. I remember having very long talks with them about how difficult employers have made it to find a job and some of the things I've been through to find a job. It's been a long journey. It's funny because there are people all over this country I've talked to who know what I'm talking about but government employees look at you like you are crazy. After a long WHILE of failed job leads, which consisted of emails offering "advice" I could have picked up on any mainstream job website and mysterious job listings where they wouldn't even tell me the name of the company. I'm going to work for a company I don't even know the name to? Sounds exciting. They wanted me to find a job on my own and I told them why do you think I got this license for.....to stare at? I'm not qualified for much except unskilled stuff. Unfortunately it's a brick wall to get hired. I've said this millions and millions of times on this forum. They told me about the college stuff but I'm not going to burn up any more time on things that lead nowhere then where I already am. I've seen some people say that when they went to Vocrehab they got job in no time because the managers were in cahoots with the agency. Why doesn't that exist out here? You see government employees trying to get people on the dole, but no interest in helping people who want to work get jobs. They closed my case 2 months ago. They expected me to do what I always was doing, which was fruitless. They wanted me to get a car after finding a job. I told them I need the car in the first place in order to obtain a job because without putting on the applications that I can work ANYTIME.....it's going right to the shredder. Public transit is not an option. They were more in a rush I think, while I've heard some people were involved with voc rehab for 1-3 years. All I know is they didn't really want to follow my best interests.

As far as going public, I'd need someone to help me do anything like that. I'd like to see justice against employers who waste peoples time in their hiring processes. It seems very odd to me that employers would still discriminate and play games against people with disabilities (and people in general) when we should be more supporting to those who want to work. The last thing we need is to keep expanding the welfare state to unsustainable levels, which is what we are doing now.

Is this what taxpayers and employers want? More people on welfare programs? People with impairments like myself on the dole when I am perfectly willing to work but not getting the fair shake? Maybe I have more of a conscience then other people but I don't see anything good about having to live off taxpayer funds for the rest of my life. I'm not getting the fair shake though. I've done everything possible to get a simple JOB and not one has hired me yet. I can't take it year after year. I don't know what's going on. People in positions of power and authority and even the average joe schmoe have went dog eat dog. We all encourage each other that wanting to work is a bad thing and living off others is a good thing. We put each other in these situations. Time to get the game rolling again but the people with the keys aren't budging.

The very people who critic the welfare system 24/7 are the ones who are perpetuating it by not hiring folks like myself. My sorry excuse of a life slips away every day and I have no social life or people to talk to. Plenty of people on the internet who find it more amusing to attack me instead of offering to help. Well next time you complain about too many people being on disability remember the ones who want to work.

Very few people in this country understand my situation and it feels very bad.
I really feel like you are just being negative. Just like ANYBODY else who is getting started in the vocational world, you have to start somewhere. Why do you feel you're not getting a fair shake? B/c you need to have transportation to work? That is required of anyone working outside the home. You should not rely on a gov't agency to find you a job, esp when it sounds like they are trying to help you but you are not wanting to do what they tell you to do.

Just as you claim there are people lumping all people on disability into one group of leeches, you are also lumping all business owners into a group of people who will not hire the disabled. As a business owner, I would hire anyone I thought could do the job, disabled or not. What are you not able to do as far as jobs are concerned?

I guess I'm not understanding what you want, you complain, complain, complain, but what are you doing to help your situation other than say, "I want to work"?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:07 PM

Quote:
I didn't want this thread to turn into a thread talking about me but more of how screwed up priorities are in this country.
I don't agree with you here at all. Business owners hire people who can do the job they are offering, that is their priority as an employer. Nobody is going to give you a job you can't do, it would be a waste of money and time to train you just to have you quit or not be able to do the job after all. That's why I'm asking what your limitations are, b/c to me, it's just sounding like you don't want to take advice you are given re: finding a job. What accommodations might you need?

Old 04-10-2013, 04:15 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,784,338 times
OP, I am sorry you are having a rough time.

If this is anything, maybe this will make you smile: I knew a man who worked at the DMV in Las Vegas, as many years, as I can remember and he was totally blind.

He had to have someone tell him what bills the customer handed him, but he maneuvered around pretty well. I just checked and there is a Nevada Committee of Blind Vendors.

Perhaps this can help you check with your local DMV (where you live) and see if they are hiring with specific regard to your disabilities.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I don't agree with you here at all. Business owners hire people who can do the job they are offering, that is their priority as an employer. Nobody is going to give you a job you can't do, it would be a waste of money and time to train you just to have you quit or not be able to do the job after all. That's why I'm asking what your limitations are, b/c to me, it's just sounding like you don't want to take advice you are given re: finding a job. What accommodations might you need?
Again......I know I need transportation. But the individuals who were handling my case at Vocrehab think I don't need it. I DO. I KNOW THIS! That's why I got my drivers license! TO DRIVE! Armed with my own vehicle, I can apply for jobs with OPEN AVAILABILITY......to increase my chance of being considered for the job. Vocrehab wanted me to put down limited hours. Doing that gets my application thrown in the shredder!

Can only work monday through thursday 12-4? Trash. I CAN DO BETTER. OPEN AVAILABILITY! NO COMMITMENTS!

As far as the jobs go......I'm applying for everything from fast food, grocery store carts/shelf stocking/ basically the jobs anyone could do. I can do these jobs. I know what I can do.

I've been in retail before. Are you saying I'm not capable of stocking shelves? You are sadly mistaken.

Last edited by parried; 04-10-2013 at 04:36 PM..

Old 04-10-2013, 05:11 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,744,174 times
B.S. I Jumped through enough hopes to get on SSDI with 100% disability back in 88/89..after a few years their of slave wage and medicare quacks I told them to keep their money and I'll keep my disability.... that was in '91...I make 6 figures now and work harder then lots of people on here I bet.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies