Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2013, 05:23 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,882,511 times

Advertisements

Iraq War Veteran Tomas Young joined the Army because our country had been attacked. He wanted to strike back at those who had killed some 3,000 of his fellow citizens. He did not join the Army to go to Iraq, a country that had no part in the September 2001 attacks and did not pose a threat to its neighbors, much less to the United States.

He was paralyzed in an insurgent ambush in 2004 in Sadr City. His life is coming to an end and he is living under hospice care.

Quote:
I did not join the Army to “liberate” Iraqis or to shut down mythical weapons-of-mass-destruction facilities or to implant what you cynically called “democracy” in Baghdad and the Middle East. I did not join the Army to rebuild Iraq, which at the time you told us could be paid for by Iraq’s oil revenues. Instead, this war has cost the United States over $3 trillion. I especially did not join the Army to carry out pre-emptive war. Pre-emptive war is illegal under international law. And as a soldier in Iraq I was, I now know, abetting your idiocy and your crimes. The Iraq War is the largest strategic blunder in U.S. history. It obliterated the balance of power in the Middle East. It installed a corrupt and brutal pro-Iranian government in Baghdad, one cemented in power through the use of torture, death squads and terror. And it has left Iran as the dominant force in the region. On every level—moral, strategic, military and economic—Iraq was a failure. And it was you, Mr. Bush and Mr. Cheney, who started this war. It is you who should pay the consequences.
Quote:
I have, like many other disabled veterans, suffered from the inadequate and often inept care provided by the Veterans Administration. I have, like many other disabled veterans, come to realize that our mental and physical wounds are of no interest to you, perhaps of no interest to any politician. We were used. We were betrayed. And we have been abandoned.
Dying Iraq War Veteran Writes Last Letter To Bush And Cheney

4,488 soldiers and Marines died in Iraq.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:32 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,704,544 times
Quote:
I have, like many other disabled veterans, suffered from the inadequate and often inept care provided by the Veterans Administration. I have, like many other disabled veterans, come to realize that our mental and physical wounds are of no interest to you, perhaps of no interest to any politician. We were used. We were betrayed. And we have been abandoned.
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Does the word "sequester" ring a bell?

P.S. When you join the military, you don't get to pick and choose your battles. Congress does that for you. Not Bush. Not Cheney. Congress does.

/fail

Old 04-06-2013, 06:10 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,505,114 times
Congress did not start the war, Bush started the war, as only he had the authority to do (which he constantly reminded everyone of in 2002.)

Old 04-06-2013, 06:11 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,240,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Congress did not start the war, Bush started the war.
Bush started the war with Congressional approval, and Congressional funding.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bush started the war with Congressional approval, and Congressional funding.
He made clear he was starting the war with or without Congress, as did his father in 1991.

Yes, Congress should've refused to vote an authorization and refused funding, but that does not alter the fact that only one person had the authority to order the guns to fire and the bombs to drop.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,240,110 times
Quote:
He made clear he was starting the war with or without Congress, as did his father in 1991.

Yes, Congress should've refused to vote an authorization and refused funding, but that does not alter the fact that only one person had the authority to order the guns to fire and the bombs to drop.
He doesnt have the authorization to start a long term year war withing Congressional authority. Educate yourself better..

[MOD CUT/off topic]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 04-07-2013 at 09:17 AM..

Old 04-06-2013, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
He doesnt have the authorization to start a long term year war withing Congressional authority. Educate yourself better.
He certainly believed he did. And if he'd ordered it without an authorization vote, as he often threatened to do, and as Bush 41 promised to do in 1991--would you expect the troops to mutiny en masse? Didn't think so.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:34 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,704,544 times
Quote:
He certainly believed he did. And if he'd ordered it without an authorization vote, as he often threatened to do, and as Bush 41 promised to do in 1991--would you expect the troops to mutiny en masse? Didn't think so.
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.....blah blah. Doesn't change the facts.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Woulda, coulda, shoulda.....blah blah. Doesn't change the facts.
Yes, and the relevant fact here is that George W. Bush launched a war of aggression against Iraq, a war which undercut American security while also destroying the lives of thousands of Americans and hundreds of thousands of Iraqis.

"Congress made me do it!" is not an excuse Bush is craven enough to offer on his own behalf, and I therefore feel justified in rejecting it when made by others.

Old 04-06-2013, 06:42 PM

2,860 posts, read 3,396,502 times
It was an immoral war. Sorry this young guy chose to do so like so many youngesters did after 9-11, but it's the way it is. I'll pray for him.

And...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm. Does the word "sequester" ring a bell?

P.S. When you join the military, you don't get to pick and choose your battles. Congress does that for you. Not Bush. Not Cheney. Congress does.

/fail

This. You sign up, you lose a significant amount of rights. Kid should have had better guidance from his parents. I feel very bad for him though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies