Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the U.S. Second Amendment protect ammunition purchases?
Yes - its a part of the right to bear arms. 49 92.45%
No - only allow citizens to bear firearms, not ammo. 2 3.77%
People shouldn't be allowed to own guns or ammo. 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM

18,014 posts, read 15,769,371 times

Advertisements

The RIGHT to keep and BEAR arms implies that said arms be fully functional. Ammunition is an integral part of that. Just as powder and ball was in the 1700s. Firearms are useless without ammo. Please. Common sense indeed!

If the military has 30 round magazines, so do we the People. If the military uses the 5.56 , we have access to the same. Or, any other small arms cartridge that is in service. The same applies to types of standard service weapons, albeit civilians are limited to semi auto only, and I , personally, find that acceptable. I am an AIMED fire advocate, the military is an AREA fire group. With the same amount of ammo, aimed fire has twice or more hits, from RIFLEMEN, as spray and pray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2013, 01:22 PM

54,516 posts, read 34,023,498 times
The Second Amendment is exactly what it says, with no gray areas for the anti-gun crowd to find excuses to bannish it from our constitution - The Right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, plain and simple.

Here's one perfect example why law-abiding citizens should be allowed to carry arms, it's news you won't hear on the biased mainstream media, but it happens numerous times throughout the United States, everyday.

Armed citizens take down suspect robber; getaway driver on the loose | azfamily.com Phoenix

Old 04-03-2013, 01:29 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,460,731 times
Since the Founders were smarter than todays leftists, I believe they understood it to be self evident that without ammo, a gun was useless, and therefore, the Second Amendment includes the right to purchase ammo. If there were no right to ammo, the Second Amendment would be vitiated.

Such an arguement is therefore spurious.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:35 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,460,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but "firearm" is not in the constitution.
The arms that were in common use for protection during the time the Bill of Rights was drafted, and the arms used to win our independence, were "firearms," a.k.a. "guns." — But nice try.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:44 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,978,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzymuscle25 View Post
So the new question at hand is does the 2nd amendment also protect ammunition purchases... Seems the left (democrat gun grabbers) have maybe found a loophole to this whole trying to ban guns thing by doing something new in CT... blocking / heavily regulating ammunition purchases (Ammunition for handguns and rifles/shotguns/long arms) by requiring certificates of approval from the state.. Who'd have thought?
Since banning ammo undermines the intent and renders the second amendment utterly useless, I would say yes, ammo is also protected.

Personaly, I think the NICS check on gun purcheses should be lifted from gun sales, and applied to ammunition sales.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,812,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Since banning ammo undermines the intent and renders the second amendment utterly useless, I would say yes, ammo is also protected...
Not necessarily; you can always throw your guns at attackers...

Old 04-03-2013, 07:37 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,836,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeerleader View Post
The right to arms is not a gift from the framers that they gave to us and that is limited to just what they were familiar with and aware of . . . The right to arms is a retained right, a timeless liberty interest completely held out from the grant of power that "We the People" conferred to the framers, empowering the government, allowing it to exist and function.

The foundation for your statement is perfectly backwards. the government doesn't get to lock the people into a time warp, freezing the activity that government will allow . . . It is government's ability to act that is frozen in time and manner and place by the simple structure of the Constitution. The rights of the people can expand; the powers of government are static unless We the People decide to grant it more power by amending the Constitution.

Much, much more painful than your sarcastic tone is the profound ignorance of fundamental constitutional principles you suffer from.

Old 04-03-2013, 08:27 PM

5,637 posts, read 6,557,560 times
I have to say I'm encouraged by the results of this poll so far. I'm not sure I've seen a poll quite this lopsided at C-D.

Old 04-04-2013, 09:21 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,292,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
I don't believe the law bans all ammunition, just high capacity clips.

the highest capacity CLIP I have ever seen before hold 10 rounds of ammo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies