Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does the U.S. Second Amendment protect ammunition purchases?
Yes - its a part of the right to bear arms. 49 92.45%
No - only allow citizens to bear firearms, not ammo. 2 3.77%
People shouldn't be allowed to own guns or ammo. 2 3.77%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2013, 08:14 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,808,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonarchist View Post
Efficiency is not governable without infringement.

I don't trust those U.S. flags with the gold fringes on 'em.
The 2nd Amendment doesn't guarantee the right to efficiency, though. Ammunition is still available and obtainable in Connecticut, just not in high capacity magazines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2013, 08:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,377,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrzymuscle25 View Post
I gave the libs a choice.. what we all know they think is the "right" choice (for the children's sake as they all say).. no rights for citizens to own any weapons for self defense.
Well this liberal disagrees with your choices.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:30 PM

29,669 posts, read 16,723,823 times
Quote:
The constitutionally broad term, "firearm" includes ammo, as it subsumes the components of the "fire".

The Constitution was not written using the narrow term, "gun".
i don't believe it was written using the word firearm as well. I could be wrong though...

Old 04-02-2013, 08:43 PM

14,916 posts, read 13,162,155 times
Quote:
The constitutionally broad term, "firearm" includes ammo, as it subsumes the components of the "fire".

The Constitution was not written using the narrow term, "gun".
Hate to break it to you, but "firearm" is not in the constitution.

Old 04-02-2013, 08:46 PM

3,846 posts, read 2,399,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Hate to break it to you, but "firearm" is not in the constitution.
Sorry about that.

I was just checking to see if you read.

Heavens, I've been out dunned!

Old 04-02-2013, 09:05 PM

37,625 posts, read 19,545,549 times
Quote:
So the new question at hand is does the 2nd amendment also protect ammunition purchases... Seems the left (democrat gun grabbers) have maybe found a loophole to this whole trying to ban guns thing by doing something new in CT... blocking / heavily regulating ammunition purchases (Ammunition for handguns and rifles/shotguns/long arms) by requiring certificates of approval from the state.. Who'd have thought?
There was no such thing as "ammunition" when the Constitution was written. All rifles then were flintlocks and muzzleloaders that took separate charges of powder, wadding, and shot to fire.

It's hard to say wht they would have included if they had been clairvoyant.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:13 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,877,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
There was no such thing as "ammunition" when the Constitution was written. All rifles then were flintlocks and muzzleloaders that took separate charges of powder, wadding, and shot to fire.

I guess the Internet isn't covered by the first amendment then.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:15 PM

10,190 posts, read 7,999,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post

There was ammunition. I put the ammo in bold above. FYI

Old 04-02-2013, 09:21 PM

24,524 posts, read 23,266,912 times
The laws will be struck down as unconstitutional but before that will be impossible to be implemented as nobody will obey them and they won't be enforceable.
Many politicians will lose their jobs over this insanity.

Old 04-02-2013, 09:24 PM

408 posts, read 216,545 times
Quote:
So the new question at hand is does the 2nd amendment also protect ammunition purchases... Seems the left (democrat gun grabbers) have maybe found a loophole to this whole trying to ban guns thing by doing something new in CT... blocking / heavily regulating ammunition purchases (Ammunition for handguns and rifles/shotguns/long arms) by requiring certificates of approval from the state.. Who'd have thought?
For now, lower courts are interpreting ammunition "rights" in the context of the self defense right doctrine from Heller. Some ownership regulation of handguns is permissible so it stands to reason ammo purchase and possession regulations, as long as they are not onerous or outwardly prohibitory, would be permissible as well, for now.

Heller held the DC statutes were unconstitutional because they made it “impossible for citizens to use [their handguns] for the core lawful purpose of self-defense.” Surely heavily restricting the purchase of ammo, to the point of making it impossible for citizens to use their guns, is arguably a violation of the 2nd Amendment.

For this in action, see the 2010 DC Court of Appeals case of Herrington v. United States.

As far as I understand the ammo portion of the Connecticut law, I think it would pass constitutional muster currently.

Let's put it this way . . . Right now, the right to possess and use ammunition is on the same plane as the right to possess and use the firearm it is chambered for. If a purchaser's permit and extensive background check is permissable to purchase the gun, it can be applied to the ammo for the gun.

I'm not saying that is be-all-end-all, I think that once SCOTUS gets to review more law, (and I think this entire Connecticut one is perfect to challenge), the protection sphere of the 2nd will be established far beyond the baby steps of Heller and McDonald and this CT law and much much more in many other jurisdictions will be invalidated.

For those interested, the best synopsis of the new CT law I have found is HERE

Last edited by Jeerleader; 04-02-2013 at 09:38 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies