Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you pay the price for American goods?
Yes, of course. 45 61.64%
No, I determine what I buy by price. If a sweater from China cost $20 compared to the $50 American made one, I'll choose the Chinese made. 16 21.92%
Different Option. 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 11:38 AM

33,153 posts, read 19,785,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Sounds like a chicken/egg scenario.

70's style pensions went the way of the Dodo bird. No one is willing to pay a pension tax.
ye pensions went away in the 80's and 90's with the yuppies

they dint want pensions...they wanted MOBILiTY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 11:41 AM

1,118 posts, read 2,299,828 times
No, I buy by quality. Quite frankly American-made stuff just isn't particularly good and doesn't do a whole lot to boost the economy, anyway. Buying something for the sake of its origin means propping up firms that might not actually manufacture good products. It's also just wasting money if you're paying too much for something that's not good enough.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:42 AM

20,019 posts, read 12,537,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
I used to be "buy only american"

then I grew up...most things are made in foreign countries to begin with

most of them are higher quality than american

and its cheaper

I buy based on prices and QUALITY.and the made in the usa stuff, just doesnt cut it anymore

the best selling appliance company (currently) is LG....do you know what LG is....Lucky-Goldstar( formally just known as Goldstar) a Korean company

this has been happening for decades, since the 70's..and really increase in the mid 90's after nafta/cafta/gatt were signed in 1993

the only way to reverse it would be to:
1. make 100% import tarrfis on anything coming into the us...even frrom us companies like GE (hq'd in CT) that manufactures all their stuff in mexico/maylasia
2. reduce the corporate tax to ZERO
3. give companies tax exempt status for local property taxes

as long as wages, taxes, electric rates, and properties are cheaper overseas , and the cost to ship it in (import tariffs) are low, it cant change and will probably get worse

I dont see these changes that I just listed happening

were are now(since the 90's, it started in late 70's)) a global economy

look at things

we pioneered microwaves...not one is american made anymore
we poineered tv's............none are american made

the best selling appliance company (currently) is LG....do you know what LG is....Lucky-Goldstar( formally just known as Goldstar) a Korean company

even levi jeans are made overseas.

we lead the steel industry......not anymore
we lead the car industry.....not anymore...people would rather buy a foreign car........why is the number 1 and 2, 3 and 4 LUXURY cars in america NOT Cadillac, and Lincoln,.....why lexus (overprices toyota)...infinity (overpriced Nisson) and BMW, and Mercedes and acura(overpriced honda)

infact in the top 10 luxury cars only cadi places with the cts and the srx

my old boss (back in 1999) told me as (I was moving up the chain) that we have gone from a manufacturing counrty to a country of managers.....and it is true

most of the kids today dont WANT to work, at least dont want to work in a 'hands-on' kind of job, like factory or manufacturing..they all think about the 9-5 white collar job, just pushing buttons on a computer...most dont want to get their hands dirty
What and who are they going to manage? Everyone can't be a manager. There are not enough jobs for that.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,664,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
WHAT?????

Let the Chinese citizens figure out how to get far pay for fair work. Dragging tht USA down to their work ethics and standards is insane and unnecessary. The Made in China crap is crap. I'd pay double to purchase Made in The USA....and I have. Better quality and sends a strong message. Buying from Germany is fine as their products rock. I'd much rather but from Mexico than China and all other Fair Trade places.
But as has already been explained over and over again; you will not be able to buy an American made car IF you isolate and protect that market. No company is going to exist for long selling cars to only American consumers. They could not afford to build it at a price you could afford to pay.

Very quickly in such a scenario you would have stamping mills looking overseas for roll stock or castings because those mills could not afford to pay higher wages and prices for materials than competitors.

Your cars built here and ONLY sold here would be off the charts expensive ~ ~ that's the very reason this whole nonsense started in the first place! YOU started screaming for cheaper prices on goods you were seeing manufactured and sold cheaper elsewhere.

Sam Walton was no dummy regardless of his ethical or moral imperatives. He provided what YOU demanded.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,436,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoking66 View Post
and doesn't do a whole lot to boost the economy, anyway.

Huh? A service economy is doomed to failure. You need to make stuff if you want to remain on top.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:47 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,436,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
you will not be able to buy an American made car IF you isolate and protect that market.
When you have a country like China subsidizing and dumping products on the market below their value what is your solution?

Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,558,963 times
I use to sincerely and honestly feel this way, and would seek out goods and furnishings made in America, which you can find, with a little internet searches.

I use to feel years and years ago, made in America were better quality items, i truly and sincerely did. If i am going to keep it real and honest here, as always i have to give my honest opinion. American made goods are not what they use to be, as far as furniture made in American, to wall clocks, to Hamster cages, yes a huge hamster cage we just got in with Made and assembled in America, the damn thing is a piece of junk. I have to be honest here, the one from petsmart and made in China, was better made, with more quality iron used.

I am one who has always gone out of my way to buy America goods, even if paying thousands more, which i can. But quality also means just as much to me, and the reason i would seek out buying american goods, is because of better quality items. Not going to pay thousands more, if the quality is just not there.

So i am on the fence about this, yes i still buy made in america items, but really check the price now with the quality of the item, i want to purchase. I have got to say, having furniture made in America and yes paying thousands more for the item, being truthful, the quality of the furniture is not what it was around 25 years ago.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:56 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,486,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are you sure about that? Every little part was made in the United States?
Of course not every part was Made in the USA, but it was assembled here to say the least. I have a 2008 Jeep Wrangler.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM

9,317 posts, read 18,846,926 times
We always choose American made over China and will avoid it if possible. If you need ceramics/ mixing bowls, knick knacks etc...please buy from a local potter. We need to support American artisians when we can. Just the way I feel. Let China worry about their starving 7 year olds.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:05 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,278,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
But as has already been explained over and over again; you will not be able to buy an American made car IF you isolate and protect that market. No company is going to exist for long selling cars to only American consumers. They could not afford to build it at a price you could afford to pay.

Very quickly in such a scenario you would have stamping mills looking overseas for roll stock or castings because those mills could not afford to pay higher wages and prices for materials than competitors.

Your cars built here and ONLY sold here would be off the charts expensive ~ ~ that's the very reason this whole nonsense started in the first place! YOU started screaming for cheaper prices on goods you were seeing manufactured and sold cheaper elsewhere.

Sam Walton was no dummy regardless of his ethical or moral imperatives. He provided what YOU demanded.
DId you not read my post. I said I do purchase Fair Trade items.. My experience with Chinese manufactured goods is negative. They make crap. They do not practice Fair Trade policies either. It's the Chinese model that has set a low bar for quality of product and bad work ethics. I did not demand inferior quality ever, btw. Sam Walton did not initiate the Made in China age of greed. As I understand it, after he died his kids got infected with the avarice virus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies