Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you pay the price for American goods?
Yes, of course. 45 61.64%
No, I determine what I buy by price. If a sweater from China cost $20 compared to the $50 American made one, I'll choose the Chinese made. 16 21.92%
Different Option. 12 16.44%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 12:43 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOREBOY View Post

I'm not sure if I'd be willing to pay money for either of those boots, they're not really my style. But if they were my style, and the price different wasn't so large (say about $40 or $50 higher for the American made) I would go with the American made rather than the ones not Made in America unless they were made in Italy or something; if they were made in Italy and were $120, I'd go for the Italy made.

I wear boots all the time so I'm willing to spend money on them. Red Wing makes a fantastic boot and they have many styles.

Red Wing Shoes | Red Wing Work Boots

S.B. Foot Tanning Company - YouTube

Crafting Sole Molds - YouTube

The Factory - YouTube!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
I had to buy a motor & pulley for the drivers side window of my Camry.

The one made in the States was $80. The one in Japan was $120. The guy said they were the exact same part. So I bought the American.

Couldn't figure why they even carried the Japanese one. Or why they didn't bump up the price of the American one.

Japan is in the same bost as the US with the labor and other issues and actually worse becsue of the lack of domestic resources.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:52 AM

3,807 posts, read 4,278,129 times
Nope. I don't care where or who makes my products. The cheaper the better for me. China, Nicaruega, or Cambodia. The cheaper the better. The less I spend for my goods the better. Plain and simple.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM

19 posts, read 33,243 times
I for one do not care, I just prefer higher quality products no matter where they are from.

Old 03-13-2013, 12:59 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Nope. I don't care where or who makes my products. The cheaper the better for me. China, Nicaruega, or Cambodia. The cheaper the better. The less I spend for my goods the better. Plain and simple.
I can understand that so I propose an additional question for you; if you were a millionaire (you may be one for all I know) would you be willing to pay the price for American goods or is it just a cheap thing? I ask this because I often have debates with people around people in DC about eating completely higher-end/organic foods v. eating some McDonalds and sometimes organic foods. I'm the latter because the cost of eating all Organic foods is a bit too steep for my budget but a lot of people in this region make the argument that eating completely organic foods will save me money in the long run with health-care costs. I think if I had the money I'd try to eat all organic but as I said, today I can't afford to eat all organic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDean87 View Post
I for one do not care, I just prefer higher quality products no matter where they are from.
Yeah, I'm sort of, kind of the same way. Banana Republic has pretty good quality clothes and all but the thought that a man could've killed himself right after making my goods simply because he wasn't treated better by the company whom employees him scares me away; of course it can happen in America too but mass-suicides are far too common in those countries with sweatshops. I guess its just my conscious in a way.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:09 AM

Quote:
I can understand that so I propose an additional question for you; if you were a millionaire (you may be one for all I know) would you be willing to pay the price for American goods or is it just a cheap thing?
Most of the wealthy people I know are wealthy becsue they don't squander money. Having said that most of the products on the market today are cheap junk, people of wealth and a little bit of common sense don't buy cheap junk because most of them are well aware the more costly but better product is worth the investment. Joe Schmoe might find it hard to justify buying a $400 lawn mower when he can get one at Wal Mart for $150 but Joe Schmoe is going to buy that same lawn mower 4 or 5 times and end up paying more in the long run.

Quote:
but a lot of people in this region make the argument that eating completely organic foods will save me money in the long run with health-care costs.
The nutritional value of organic products and the regular ones are exactly the same. Organic products may taste better I guess some arguments could be made about the chemicals used for pesticides and what not but if you have a house full of hungry mouths and no money....

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-13-2013 at 01:24 AM..

Old 03-13-2013, 01:18 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,444,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most of the wealthy people I know are wealthy becsue they don't squander money. Having said that most of the products on the market today are cheap junk, people of wealth and a little bit of common sense don't buy cheap junk because most of them are well aware the more costly but better product is worth the investment. Joe Schmoe might find it hard to justify buying a $400 lawn mower when he can get one at Wal Mart for $150 but Joe Schmoe is going to buy that same lawn mower 4 or 5 times and end up paying more in the long run.

I'm not saying squander money, but if you could afford to eat better, would you do it or would you still try to mix it up? And yeah, I'm the guy you see that will spend the $400 on a lawn mower; I hate cheap stuff because in the long run like you said, you'll have to replace the cheap lawn mower far too many times. I'm guessing you and I have found common ground on buying quality goods. If I could buy a Chinese made lawn mower for $400 that would last for seven years v. an American made lawn mower that cost $400 as well that would last for two years, I'd probably go with the Chinese made; but how often does that happen?

The nutritional value of organic products and the regular ones are exactly the same. Organic products may test better I guess some arguments could be made about the chemicals used for pesticides and what not but if you have a house full of hungry mouths and no money....
That's the argument I always use as well in regards to spending your few last dollar on McDonalds that can last a few days or spending your few last dollars on organic food that will only last one day. Its been about 50/50; even if I were wealthy and somehow I lost my wallet but still had about $10 in my pocket, I'd probably get the McDonalds because it can last more as opposed to eating one healthy meal and starving for a few days.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 AM

Here's some great American companies for you, all located in Eastern PA except Hitzer which is in Indiana.

Leisure Line Coal Stoves - Automatic Coal Stoker Stove Home Heating Systems
Residential Boilers | Gas Boilers | Oil fired Boilers | Electric Boilers | Coal stoked Boilers | EFM Residential
Keystoker
AHS Coal Stoker Boilers
Axeman-Anderson - Anthratube Coal Boiler
Alaska Stove
Harman Stove Company
Reading Stove
Hitzer Stoves

And the best part is they use a fuel produced in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Old 03-13-2013, 01:22 AM

Quote:
I'd probably get the McDonalds because it can last more as opposed to eating one healthy meal and starving for a few days.
You aren't saving any money buying food at McDonald's at least where I live. I can lay out a fantastic home cooked meal for what it cost at McDonald's.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:30 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,756,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDean87 View Post
I agree, and "made in America" doesn't always mean better quality.

Also, it's often difficult to determine where goods are made since companies have shops all over the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies