Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 10:39 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,435,416 times

Advertisements

Poor babies.

Stores worry holiday sales may be permanent - Retail - msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 10:49 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,298,565 times
If only we'd boycotted overpriced merchandise of our own volition, all this time.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:56 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,435,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
If only we'd boycotted overpriced merchandise of our own volition, all this time.
So true. So many people act like they're under some sort of magic spell to buy buy buy like little robots clutching their plastic. I call them stuff nuts.

They can keep their gold-plated toliet paper holders and their artisan ratatouille. I buy time, travel, and freedom.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:52 AM

26,351 posts, read 49,400,047 times
We have too much stuff in the USA. Period. These days, wife and I buy very little besides food or replacement items. Haven't been to a mall for years. I have enough neckties to last 3 men a lifetime.

I take my excess stuff down to the Goodwill donation center. One closest to me has a drive-thru donation line. Always 5-15 cars and mini-vans in the line disgorging contents, like gluttons vomiting from overeating. Amazing to see all the stuff that just keeps coming out of car trunks and vans. I don't know how Goodwill moves all the stuff through their process and onto the sales floor in their retail shops, of which there are several around COLO SPGS.

Inside the Goodwill store, it is jammed with usable clean clothing for all people, kitchen items, books, lamps, shoes, sporting goods, toys, household items, you name it, all at prices below ebay or yard sale prices. The outdoor storage area has enough bicycles to make Lance Armstrong grin.

I wish more people would go to Goodwill or Salvation Army as their FIRST stop and not to big box stores selling Chinese schlock, or increasingly ridiculous shopping malls, which to me are all the same from coast to coast.

Americans could keep billions of dollars of their money in this country each year if they'd buy used items at consignment shops and places like Goodwill and Salvation Army. I've used consignment shops to sell furniture and it works fine, they even pick up the items. I sold a desk via a consignment shop; it sold within a week for $400, which is $200 more than I offered it on CraigsList, where I had one inquiry.

I've said for years that we have too many stores in this country, don't know how they all stay in business. That's changing. More vacant storefronts are popping up here in COLO SPGS every week, and a shake out is occurring.

Folks all over the country should try The Freecycle Network to find a free yahoo list in their town, where excess stuff of all sorts, and I mean ALL sorts, is offered up for free to anyone who wants it. Though their goal is to keep stuff out of landfills, it's a great way to get usable items for free and avoid another trip to a retail store.

I'd like to see 2009 become the year we "just say no" to shopping our way out of every crisis.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:56 AM

5,170 posts, read 11,477,671 times
I love to buy used stuff, furniture, books etc. Stuff fills a void for many people that are overworked and want to "reward" themselves. If only they would realize their lives would be a lot happier if they would consume less and have more TIME to LIVE and have fun with friends and family.
Being debt free is the greatest gift you can give to yourself

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I love to buy used stuff, furniture, books etc. Stuff fills a void for many people that are overworked and want to "reward" themselves. If only they would realize their lives would be a lot happier if they would consume less and have more TIME to LIVE and have fun with friends and family. Being debt free is the greatest gift you can give to yourself
My favorite rewards are a bottle of decent Chardonnay, tender filet or bison burger at Ted's Montana Grill.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,298,565 times
I think we'll have moved out of the "sick overconsumption" era over the next few years. This has been a triumph of innovative business administration and marketing and graphics design but there's just too much now. Back to the pre-designer days...

Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM

61,254 posts, read 87,800,132 times
i saw the christmas sales at walmart yesterday nothing to write home about.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:01 PM

5,170 posts, read 11,477,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
My favorite rewards are a bottle of decent Chardonnay, tender filet or bison burger at Ted's Montana Grill.

My favorite meal would look a bit different, because we are vegetarians, but I LOVE good food and it doesn't have to be expensive. Simple, quality foods are often the best!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-07-2009, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I think we'll have moved out of the "sick overconsumption" era over the next few years. This has been a triumph of innovative business administration and marketing and graphics design but there's just too much now. Back to the pre-designer days...
Yes. I never liked paying extra for pullover shirts with a logo from some "designer dude" who has the stuff made in China like all the other stores do. No Polo shirt is worth $65 to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'd like to see 2009 become the year we "just say no" to shopping our way out of every crisis.
I recall the late 1980's, where we'd been through years of Reagan's funny-money economy and everyone was shopped out, the closets and garages were full, so shopping came to a halt and retail took it on the chin. That time is upon us again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies