Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 02:32 PM

59,543 posts, read 27,803,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
That's actually an unconstitutional restraint on free speech, and the city would almost certainly lose in court if the ruling were challenged.
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People have filed complaints about flying the Confederate flag and have won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
You two have your personal opinions, but I'm speaking of conservatives in general... and in general, the times I've had this discussion the others disagreed. Heck, I have even heard conservatives say they (Latin American or ME flags) shouldn't be flown outside of people's HOMES!

Case in point, and I'm pretty sure this poster is a conservative:
So, you base your OPINION of how millions think by your expedience with a few? OK!

Old 03-13-2013, 05:31 PM

30,526 posts, read 52,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Well there you go again, blanketing all conservatives...when will you ever learn?
I'm not blanketing ALL conservatives, hence the words "in general" - that means more often than not, as opposed to everyone who identifies as conservative/liberal. I always try to avoid blanket statements, so if I do make one it's unintentional or based in reality.

Not sure why you'd say "there you go again," when I really don't do that too often... at least not as often as most people (from both sides) on this forum. Sure you're not confusing me with somebody else?

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-13-2013 at 05:44 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 05:34 PM

30,526 posts, read 52,236,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
So, you base your OPINION of how millions think by your expedience with a few? OK!
Wow, you two really have trouble with those "in general" type of statements, huh? Again, I am not saying ALL or even MOST - I am saying that when I do hear such complaints, they generally come from conservatives. If you think I'm lying, just go to the Illegal Immigration subforum and ask who's a liberal vs conservative, then compare the answers with their attitudes towards Mexican flags.

And give me a break, when this whole friggin' forum is filled with blanket statements and stereotypes... but now I see how that goes when a supposed "lib" (actually a Libertarian) tries it. Funny how you didn't call out monkeywrenching (who I was quoting), for making a BLANKET statement about liberals. Double standard much?

Last edited by gizmo980; 03-13-2013 at 05:43 PM..

Old 03-13-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Wow, you two really have trouble with those "in general" type of statements, huh? Again, I am not saying ALL or even MOST - I am saying that when I do hear such complaints, they generally come from conservatives. If you think I'm lying, just go to the Illegal Immigration subforum and ask who's a liberal vs conservative, then compare the answers with their attitudes towards Mexican flags.

And give me a break, when this whole friggin' forum is filled with blanket statements and stereotypes... but now I see how that goes when a supposed "lib" (actually a Libertarian) tries it. Funny how you didn't call out monkeywrenching (who I was quoting), for making a BLANKET statement about liberals. Double standard much?
"What does "in general" mean?
  1. Referring to a group of persons or a subject as a whole, as opposed to particular ones. For example, I am speaking about contracts in general, or Girls in general mature at a younger age than boys. [Late 1300s] For an antonym, see in particular.
  2. For the most part; commonly, usually. For example, In general the children behaved very well, or Our winters are quite mild in general.

I was basing my statement based on what I think, "in general" means.

Apparently, you have different meaning. Which is OK.

I HAVE complained to both sides for using blanket statements. I just DON'T do it all the time.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:12 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,621,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I think it the height of bad taste and an expression of ingratitude to fly another flag unless the American flag flies above it, but I can't abide making it illegal.
Beside it is more like it. Flag protocol is such that national flags are the same size and same height.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:21 AM

15,080 posts, read 20,564,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The National Association for the Advancement of Colored People have filed complaints about flying the Confederate flag and have won.
But wasn't that on public buildings?

[the flag in this case is on a private building]

Old 03-14-2013, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
But wasn't that on public buildings?

[the flag in this case is on a private building]
The NAACP has fought to NOT allow it to be flown ANYWHERE.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM

63,534 posts, read 29,615,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
I think this happens when they fly it above the American flag a public places.....like American schools.
And when the Mexican flag was hoisted above the American flag at a Post Office here in California. Now that's offensive and illegal and should be. Ethnic businesses such as restaurants not so much just as long as they don't do the above.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:26 AM

63,534 posts, read 29,615,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lybricks View Post
Haven't you heard? White is right.
I knew it wouldn't be long before the race card pullers jumped into this discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies