Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2013, 01:24 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Sorry, that is for DC, not the rest of the states. Federal law does not trump state law.
Are you seriously that uneducated? That doesn't apply to DC, it's a Supreme Court ruling. It's only listed as DC because that's who asked the Court for Certiorari. Supreme Court decisions are binding on the entire country. That's how Constitutional law works. The 2nd Amendment was already incorporated to the States.

Quote:
The 2nd amendment is not incorporated and therefore is not transferable to the states.
It is incorporated. See McDonald v. Chicago.

You really need to stop discussing this as you don't even know how our legal system works.

Quote:

Read up on incorporation and see what amendments have been incorporated. The 2nd amendment isn't there.
Incorporation of the Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amendment II
Right to keep and bear arms

This right has been incorporated against the states. See McDonald v. Chicago (2010).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2013, 01:26 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,864,280 times
Introducing legislation isn't the same as a law being passed. People would be amazed at the goofy proposed legislation these folks try to get passed. Anyway, Missouri? The "I'm stubborn state" turning in their weapons? Good luck with that.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:29 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnewberry22 View Post
An ASSAULT weapon.

Are you hunting white tail deer with an AK47?
It is legal in most places. The 7.62x39 cartridge is equivalent to a .30-30.

Old 02-14-2013, 01:44 PM

4,395 posts, read 4,909,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And that right still exists. It just isn't unlimited like you want it to be. But guess what. No Constitutional Amendment is unlimited, not even the 1st.
The 1st is completely unlimited. You can even bring up the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" argument. Nothing stops me from doing that. No one has gone into my brain and burned out part of it that controls speech. But if I do abuse that right of free speech, then I must pay the consequences. It could be as simple as being thrown out because I bothered the other attendees. I could be ticketed for disturbing the peace. If the crowd runs out and people are injured, then I am held responsible based on said injuries.

Old 02-14-2013, 02:53 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,947,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Are you seriously that uneducated? That doesn't apply to DC, it's a Supreme Court ruling. It's only listed as DC because that's who asked the Court for Certiorari. Supreme Court decisions are binding on the entire country. That's how Constitutional law works. The 2nd Amendment was already incorporated to the States.

It is incorporated. See McDonald v. Chicago.

You really need to stop discussing this as you don't even know how our legal system works.

Incorporation of the Bill of Rights - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Amendment II
Right to keep and bear arms

This right has been incorporated against the states. See McDonald v. Chicago (2010).
Sorry Fiyero, I stand corrected.

You are correct, it was incorporated with that case.

Looks like we are exactly what the founders didn't want, a country ruled by a single government with the full powers to control, dictate and regulate being in the hands of a strong and powerful central government.

Enjoy everyone! You made the bed, sleep in it.

Last edited by Nomander; 02-14-2013 at 03:13 PM..

Old 02-14-2013, 03:04 PM

15,061 posts, read 8,624,668 times
Quote:
What in the hell are natural rights?
You will naturally find out what they are if you try to take them away.

You have a natural right to life, which naturally implies the right to defend your life. Self defense has always been considered a natural right ... except to the modern left wing nitwit society who don't believe anyone has any rights at all, except for a few, like gay marriage, and the right to kill babies.

Old 02-14-2013, 03:41 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,769,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
The 1st is completely unlimited. You can even bring up the "yelling fire in a crowded theater" argument. Nothing stops me from doing that.
The first is not unlimited. Yelling fire is not legally protected and you can be arrested for it, thus you have no Free Speech in that case. In order for it to be free, there can't be consequences to saying it.

Quote:
No one has gone into my brain and burned out part of it that controls speech. But if I do abuse that right of free speech, then I must pay the consequences. It could be as simple as being thrown out because I bothered the other attendees. I could be ticketed for disturbing the peace. If the crowd runs out and people are injured, then I am held responsible based on said injuries.
I don't think you understand the meaning of the 1st Amendment. Freedom of Speech means you are free to express your opinions without persecution from the local, state, or federal government. But that speech is not unlimited, because not all forms of speech are protected. Inciting violence is not protected.

By your ridiculous logic, there is no law against murder since you can go out and kill someone any time you want.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:02 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,030,436 times
Quote:
An ASSAULT weapon.

The 2nd amendment has nothing to do with hunting.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM

664 posts, read 773,401 times
Quote:
An ASSAULT weapon.

who decides what is an "assault" weapon? You outlaw "assault" weapons and pretty soon that 100 year old bolt action rifle is going to be an "assault" weapon. I've seen idiots in the media and politicians call hollow point bullets "assault" bullets recently. The very same type of bullets used by EVERY single police department in this country, federal included. The idiocy knows no bounds. You start the slope now, it's a long slippery ride down to the bottom.

Old 02-14-2013, 04:58 PM

29,407 posts, read 21,998,309 times
Minnesota has put up a bill with the same language in it. It appears a concerted effort by the gun grabbers. Expect more states to follow along. The media is off the gun grabbing hysteria now so they will try and push this nonsense through with little fanfare.

https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bin/bldbi...l&session=ls88
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies