Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 11:47 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,872,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
I don't know, the best comparison I can give. Is its like I need a car to get to work. My car was stolen/wrecked/broke down, etc...

I go to a car dealership. I NEED a car to support my family and more, but I am focusing primarily on what color the car is. Rather then is it a good car I can afford? Yes the color is important, but in the list of priorities it should be. Can I afford it? Is it a good car for me(big enough, reliable, etc...) then I can focus on frills like the color.
Pretty stupid analogy. The ability to marry the person you love and gain 1500 federal and state benefits is more important than the paint color of a car. I guarantee you, if heterosexual marriage was banned tomorrow, a heck of a lot of people would start viewing it as an important issue.

The woman in the DOMA case before the Supreme Court has to pay $300,000 in estate taxes because her marriage isn't recognized by the Federal government. I doubt she can afford a car for her family with a bill hanging over her like that, much less worrying about the color.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 11:51 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,872,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
If these social issues are so important to you why are you entrusting them to the circus in Washington?
Because tyranny of the majority affects everyone in this country. Mississippi sure as heck isn't going to ensure gays are viewed as equals until hell freezes over. Places like that must be dragged into the 21st Century.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:53 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,719,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It takes money to create Utopia and DC isn't taking that into account.
Yeah, it takes a lot of money to give gays the same civil rights as others, and also to allow gays to marry and bring in more cash into their household(you do know two income earner homes have more disposable cash, right? which means good for the economy). It takes so much money to address the problems of women earning less than their male colleagues in the workplace. It takes so much money to provide a livable wage, so the burden of paying for those who are just making the bare minimum(that'd be you the taxpayer paying for this burden) would be lessened. It takes so much money to provide women with contraceptives since that could help in reducing unwanted pregnancies/reduce single parent households/reduce the all too familiar occurrence of a young girl who gets pregnant having to forgo her education to care for her child, damning her to a life of minimum wage(and once again YOU the taxpayer paying for that).......do you see yet how these social issues are also economic issues? Do you?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:57 AM

1,618 posts, read 2,642,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because tyranny of the majority affects everyone in this country. Mississippi sure as heck isn't going to ensure gays are viewed as equals until hell freezes over. Places like that must be dragged into the 21st Century.
And how exactly does it affect YOU if THEY want to live in the 16th century? If they want to live in the 16th century, let them. Remember, when you give the Feds power, they could use it to drag the entire country into the 21st century....or they could use it to drag the entire country back to the 16th.

You're better off leaving that power in the hands of your state. And the people who want to live in the 16th century can go be happy in their state. Because frankly I don't want either one of you running my country.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:02 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,052,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
Yeah, it takes a lot of money to give gays the same civil rights as others, and also to allow gays to marry and bring in more cash into their household(you do know two income earner homes have more disposable cash, right? which means good for the economy). It takes so much money to address the problems of women earning less than their male colleagues in the workplace. It takes so much money to provide a livable wage, so the burden of paying for those who are just making the bare minimum(that'd be you the taxpayer paying for this burden) would be lessened. It takes so much money to provide women with contraceptives since that could help in reducing unwanted pregnancies/reduce single parent households/reduce the all too familiar occurrence of a young girl who gets pregnant having to forgo her education to care for her child, damning her to a life of minimum wage(and once again YOU the taxpayer paying for that).......do you see yet how these social issues are also economic issues? Do you?
Gay marriage is not the only social issue.

Give women "free" contraceptives isn't really FREE, is it ? Someone has to pay.
Give women "free" abortions isn't really FREE is it (medicaid) ? Someone has to pay.
And yes medicald now covers abortion in 15 states.

A livable wage is not the doing of the government unless they go fascist or communist or hire everyone in America and then yes, taxpayers pay their salaries.

You haven't mentioned education, illegals, Blacks, greater number of people on social welfare programs.
Sure, Uncle Sam can take care of everyone but it costs money; more than we take in via taxes.

Sure, they are all "economic" issues because they involve spending money.
Money we don't have.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Gay marriage is not the only social issue.

Give women "free" contraceptives isn't really FREE, is it ? Someone has to pay.
Give women "free" abortions isn't really FREE is it (medicaid) ? Someone has to pay.
And yes medicald now covers abortion in 15 states.

A livable wage is not the doing of the government unless they go fascist or communist or hire everyone in America and then yes, taxpayers pay their salaries.

You haven't mentioned education, illegals, Blacks, greater number of people on social welfare programs.
Sure, Uncle Sam can take care of everyone but it costs money; more than we take in via taxes.

Sure, they are all "economic" issues because they involve spending money.
Money we don't have.
So, then minimum wage laws are fascist? And why don't you calculate how much would have to be paid to prevent something, than having to pay to correct something. You do know it's cheaper to go the preventive route, right? The greater number of people on social welfare programs ties into that livable wage/healthcare problem/contraception availability problem/the pro-life vs. prochoice problem(letting women decide what they want to do with their body, is cost effective). Think outside of the box.....and learn that mathematical equations are a lot more complex than 1 + 2=3.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,052,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
So, then minimum wage laws are fascist? And why don't you calculate how much would have to be paid to prevent something, than having to pay to correct something. You do know it's cheaper to go the preventive route, right? The greater number of people on social welfare programs ties into that livable wage/healthcare problem/contraception availability problem/the pro-life vs. prochoice problem(letting women decide what they want to do with their body, is cost effective). Think outside of the box.....and learn that mathematical equations are a lot more complex than 1 + 2=3.
No, but to make a "livable wage" which would be different in every city and state would require more government intervention. Either that or take over the means of production and then one doesn't have to worry about livable wages..just vote in the guy that promises you the best salary.

I should have to pay for someone else to PREVENT their bad mistakes.
Let them pay and let them learn from their mistakes.

Why is the guilt so freely thrown around because I'm tired of paying for the growing number of poor "victims of society" that need everything paid for by taxpayers.

Before last year women had no problem paying for their own contraceptives.
Those on medicaid already got them for free.

Being on the pill and having a health insurance card will not fix America.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
No, but to make a "livable wage" which would be different in every city and state would require more government intervention. Either that or take over the means of production and then one doesn't have to worry about livable wages..just vote in the guy that promises you the best salary.

I should have to pay for someone else to PREVENT their bad mistakes.
Let them pay and let them learn from their mistakes.

Why is the guilt so freely thrown around because I'm tired of paying for the growing number of poor "victims of society" that need everything paid for by taxpayers.

Before last year women had no problem paying for their own contraceptives.
Those on medicaid already got them for free.

Being on the pill and having a health insurance card will not fix America.
You see these things as some type of end game, they are not. Economist who understand these issues, know that these are steps to healing the economy, not an end game(which it seems you are espousing). The wage gap between the top earners and the bottom earners is at historic highs. When the gap between the two were closer together the country did better, why is that? And once again, you're paying for those things you detest, whether you like it or not, being it the crime issues associated with those who are socioeconomically depress/your taxes which are higher when the businesses get all the gains and the public gets to handle the businesses losses/a poorly educated populace/ an unhealthy populace/poor single women who don't have access to contraceptives or the right to abort the pregnancy if they so wish/and many many more.... and that is just a fact of reality. Might as well understand these economic/social issues a little better, and realize that before your conservative friends feed you more of that fantastically absurd ideals they are trying to push.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:33 PM

3,740 posts, read 3,096,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
Don't get me wrong, its cool with me gay people can get married, just go to work and pay taxes and you are fine by me.

But why is gay marriage such a massive issue? I mean its definitely worth mentioning, but it seems alot of people are revolving a large part of there vote based on it. I mean its estimated only about 4% of the poulation is gay, The media/TV is very gay friendly

Abortion, this topic will be argued for a long time. It is a topic so split there will likely never be a change as you push away half of your voters.

I mean I understand, war, foreign policy, jobs, taxes, economy, etc.... Just seems like a large part of the population is fooled by smoke and mirrors, and doesnt see real issues.
Social Issues are NOT important. They are used by DemocRATS and Progfressives cover so they can pretend they care abou "the people" while minute-by-inute they strive to wrest control of the poeople's destinies to their own power-hungry hands.

Old 01-27-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
And how exactly does it affect YOU if THEY want to live in the 16th century? If they want to live in the 16th century, let them. Remember, when you give the Feds power, they could use it to drag the entire country into the 21st century....or they could use it to drag the entire country back to the 16th.

You're better off leaving that power in the hands of your state. And the people who want to live in the 16th century can go be happy in their state. Because frankly I don't want either one of you running my country.
So, you were cool with 'Jim Crow' laws in the south? I mean, that's what those states wanted, right? We should've just left them to their "16th century" ways, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies