Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 02:58 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,665,179 times

Advertisements

Also, honestly is abortion really that big of a deal? Can't you have some personal responsiblity and practice safe sex?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandochuck View Post
Both sides love imposing their will upon each other.
I definitely agree with that. Why do peopel let them. Why not focus on the real issues of the US?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:00 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,800,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post
You need to realize, people will not always agree with you. People will always be against abortion.
Yes they will. In which case, they shouldn't have an abortion. The problem arises when they dictate other people must do what they want them to do.

Quote:
If gay marriage were legal, there woudl be a group protesting constantly against it.
It will likely be a small minority of extremists. 50 years ago, 96% of Americans opposed interracial marriage. How often do you see people opposing that making headlines now?

Quote:
Similar to abortion. Unfortuneately you are going to have to accept people have different views then yours, they may not be what you want, but its what people believe and it is their right to do so and you are going to have to be open-minded and accept it.
Once again, they can oppose it all they want. They don't have the right to deny other people access to those rights based on their beliefs.

Quote:
Opressed? Really? In the modern US, what group is oppressed?

Gays not being able to marry are just oppressed as Pro-lifers having to watch 1 million abortions a year.
Is this a joke? Gays can be fired or denied housing just for being gay in most states. Gays are still abused, bullied, attacked, kicked out of their homes, murdered, etc. Gay kids are still killing themselves in record numbers because religious nutjobs keep calling them abominations, deviant, and spawns of Satan.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:01 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,710,661 times
Quote:
I definitely agree with that. Why do peopel let them. Why not focus on the real issues of the US?
These are real issues of the United States. Your mind just has trouble understanding that, that's all.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:03 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,800,663 times
Quote:

Sorry I may be cold, but I want to focus on the greater good of our nation, once we get our wealth, credit, good again, we can focus on social issues.
Are you one of those people who are incapable of tackling more than one issue at a time? How does supporting gay marriage stop me from wanting a strong economy?

Old 01-26-2013, 03:17 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,631,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Are you one of those people who are incapable of tackling more than one issue at a time? How does supporting gay marriage stop me from wanting a strong economy?
Because if you support gay marriage you obviously must be one of those anti-Jesus communist pinkos who wants to destroy the church and the true bedrock of American itself. As well as taking away everyone's guns. [/sarcasm]

One thing social issues do is they tend to separate the world into us versus them, leaving little room for moderation or compromise. When your aim is to demonize the opposite side rather than figure out a way to work with them, demonization can be useful.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
Because if you support gay marriage you obviously must be one of those anti-Jesus communist pinkos who wants to destroy the church and the true bedrock of American itself. As well as taking away everyone's guns. [/sarcasm]

One thing social issues do is they tend to separate the world into us versus them, leaving little room for moderation or compromise. When your aim is to demonize the opposite side rather than figure out a way to work with them, demonization can be useful.
If the opposite side appears "demonized" maybe the shoe fits? Back during the Civil Rights fight(a social issue), those who were fighting against equal rights for blacks, looked pretty dang demonic to me. Same for those who oppose today's social issues in many cases.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:13 PM

1,618 posts, read 2,631,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterkeaton View Post
If the opposite side appears "demonized" maybe the shoe fits? Back during the Civil Rights fight(a social issue), those who were fighting against equal rights for blacks, looked pretty dang demonic to me. Same for those who oppose today's social issues in many cases.
And the people on the opposite side from you can say the same thing. And I notice you were non-specific about which "side" you are on, since "opposing" social issues is pretty generic. But you assume those opposed to your position are "demonic."

Frankly the only people I feel are "demonic" are the ones who feel they have the right to tell others how to live their lives. Unfortunately, that usually leaves me without a side to stand on, so to speak.

Old 01-26-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
And the people on the opposite side from you can say the same thing. And I notice you were non-specific about which "side" you are on, since "opposing" social issues is pretty generic. But you assume those opposed to your position are "demonic."

Frankly the only people I feel are "demonic" are the ones who feel they have the right to tell others how to live their lives. Unfortunately, that usually leaves me without a side to stand on, so to speak.
What exactly is someone trying to impose onto you? Is it that they want the same rights that you have, with regards to marrying who you wish to marry(see equality of marriage)? Is it that they want to be able to decide to do whatever it is with their body that they wish to(see pro-choice). Is it that a woman wants to be paid equal to that of her male colleague(see equality in the workplace). I just can't see how this imposes on your rights. Please, explain to me how it does?

Old 01-26-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:

Is this a joke? Gays can be fired or denied housing just for being gay in most states. Gays are still abused, bullied, attacked, kicked out of their homes, murdered, etc. Gay kids are still killing themselves in record numbers because religious nutjobs keep calling them abominations, deviant, and spawns of Satan.

Going to call bull**** on this right now.

Show me a case where a gay can legally be denied houseing for being gay.

Lots of people are bullied, attacked, and kicked out of homes and murdered.

Quote:
It doesn't but why does it seem like issues like gay marriage are publicized as much or even more. I just noticed in the last election, people wanted to vote fiscally conservative, but on social issues wanted to go liberal. In the ned they stuck with social issues. But it seems the latter would affect our lives more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies