Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 03:59 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,421,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Again, seriously??? Guns repel in the case of a burglary of an occupied building, and attract in the case of an unoccupied building. If the burglar is at all competent they're going to case the place, do their homework, and know whether someone is home. It doesn't always go according to plan (which should go without saying, but apparently not).

Man wounded by homeowner is charged with burglary | Local News | The Seattle Times
Alleged burglar shot by Woodinville homeowner: ‘I’m dying’ | The Today File | Seattle Times
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today/...-puyallup-cop/
The problem is how well the criminal "does his homework." That's MY POINT. You NEVER KNOW whether or not someone is home. Once, I lived in an apartment with a loft. The windows in my bedroom looked out over the roof of my living room. One night I went to bed early, about 9:00. Around 9:30, I turned over and looked out the window (my lights were off of course) and I saw someone standing at the window (they were very large windows) trying to break in! Of course I immediately called the police, they were there in a matter of several minutes and caught the guy. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE IS HOME OR NOT. I feel certain that person didn't know I was home that night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Criminals get away with a few crimes and they get brazen. Most people in my area own guns and there have been a lot of recent break-ins. They always steal the guns. They take that chance, they are dumb, a lot of them are on drugs and are young and invincible.

If they saw a published list of names, they would use it to stake out the homes which are a sure thing for guns. They are not smart, it is possible that they knock on the door with their dumb excuse looking for Bob, no one answers, they kick in door or window and get their azzes blown away. They aren't thinking that- they are thinking break in home, get guns, sell guns, get money for drugs.
Were the names and addresses of the people in your area who had their homes broken into published in the newspaper as being gun owners?

Maybe you generalize too much, about criminals and food stamp recipients? However, I do agree that most criminals are not that bright and in fact do have low IQs and little to no impulse control. But not ALL criminals are dumb for sure.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:16 PM

10,040 posts, read 9,534,699 times
Wouldn't the guards protecting them be on the pubilshed list?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:55 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,158,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
The problem is how well the criminal "does his homework." That's MY POINT. You NEVER KNOW whether or not someone is home. Once, I lived in an apartment with a loft. The windows in my bedroom looked out over the roof of my living room. One night I went to bed early, about 9:00. Around 9:30, I turned over and looked out the window (my lights were off of course) and I saw someone standing at the window (they were very large windows) trying to break in! Of course I immediately called the police, they were there in a matter of several minutes and caught the guy. YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE IS HOME OR NOT. I feel certain that person didn't know I was home that night.
As someone already pointed out you could walk up to the door and knock. You have their name and address, perhaps call them on their phone?

Do you people ever thoroughly think about what you suggest and explore the different angles?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:05 PM

14,887 posts, read 10,062,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Wouldn't the guards protecting them be on the pubilshed list?
Here's an actual photo of the crew they hired to protect them... those don't look like muskets to me.

Old 01-02-2013, 05:25 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,006,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Here's an actual photo of the crew they hired to protect them... those don't look like muskets to me.
I can assure you those are not muskets Looks just like an Ar-15 to me. Might be a Bushmaster IMG!

I believe i see a GLOCK too...

I hope this costs lots of money..... Do you think the NRA will pick up the bill?

Old 01-02-2013, 05:33 PM

19,023 posts, read 26,006,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
This happens and still you do nothing?

I had a bad guy once.... He was a bit too arrogant stating clearly that he was going to KILL every living thing in my house. The fact i had a double barrel 12 Ga shot in my hand, a phone with the cops on in my other hand, my Great Dane male standing before me growling. with my idiot x wife behind me already begging for her life and the life of my infant son at 3AM was most disagreeable to me.

When the cop on the phone said no one was coming, that the police were not my personal body guards, and that bad guy made something in his hands glimmer. I just lost my patience and shot that SOB down like the dog he was.

If there is ever any next time, I will be found shooting much faster than that time. At this point I am not sure i would bother to call the cops at all, and just shove the bad guy's body over the bank for the coyotes.

Between the yotes coons and assorted other wildlife a bull moose only lasts a few weeks around here.

Being that I hunt i might even take to keep said bad guys scalp.... Why not? No one would believe it was real

Last edited by CaseyB; 01-03-2013 at 04:44 AM.. Reason: rude

Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,067,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
Here you go. map and all

These people need to hear about how we think of them.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=...m&source=embed
I have called a couple numbers but got disconnected before someone answered or I could get to the answering machine. One person actually answered then hanged up immediately when I began to talk. I will keep calling them but does anyone have a specific list of those responsible for the article versus just everyone who works for the paper?

Anyways, I'm in Texas so I can't do much from here but call. But I invite patriotic gun owners in NY to give them a knock on the door and announce to them your displeasure with the article. Take away their safety at home, and see if they will try to do this stunt again.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:06 PM

3,168 posts, read 2,067,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
That's a waste of money. Few people will try anything where they work, presumably in the middle of a city (NYC?). Better to get them in quiet suburbia where there is privacy.

Old 01-02-2013, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
As someone already pointed out you could walk up to the door and knock. You have their name and address, perhaps call them on their phone?

Do you people ever thoroughly think about what you suggest and explore the different angles?
Yes.

And who would open the door to a stranger? So how would they know that no one is inside if no one answered the door? Some people screen their calls and don't answer to a strange voice. I never open my door to any stranger; I always ask who is there, or don't respond at all.

It has not been my argument that if criminals know you have a gun that they will stay away. That has been the argument of the pro-gun folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies