Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,119,311 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by logline View Post
Okay, whatever makes you forget that more gun control is coming.

Unlike 100 years ago, today you need:
You need training and a permit to conceal carry...
You need a background check...
You need a waiting period (that was in fact INCREASED later)...
You are now restricted from using armor-piercing ammo...
You now need a trigger lock on all new guns...
You need to get your gun in person (no more mail order guns over state lines)
You need to own semi-autos, no more automatic weapons.

ALL OF THE ABOVE was the result of increasingly tighter gun control. The noose is tightening and the gun nuts are too stupid to see it coming. Go figure.
Hey genius, guess what? Every single one of your points above are erroneous, with the exception of the trigger lock and automatic weapons. Laws vary by State, meaning most of what you posted doesn't apply in many places. In other words, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Let me demonstrate:

At least 4 states don't require a permit for concealed carry.
I can buy a gun from an individual without a background check.
A waiting period is state-specific. I walked in, bought a gun, and left with it in Ohio earlier this year.
I buy "armor piercing" ammo every year, and have done so for many years.

See how easy it is to debunk your ignorance?

There's absolutely NOTHING to suggest that any of the above will change. It's all a figment of your wild imagination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,194,933 times
Quote:
I hate to break it to YOU, but a majority of the entire U.S. population now disagrees with you. Get a clue.

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/pollingcenter/polls/3348

a poll of 620 adults does not make it 300+ million people.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:04 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,471,872 times
Quote:
Okay, whatever makes you forget that more gun control is coming.

Unlike 100 years ago, today:
You need training and a permit to conceal carry...
You need a background check...
You need a waiting period (that was in fact INCREASED later)...
You are now restricted from using armor-piercing ammo...
You now need a trigger lock on all new guns...
You need to get your gun in person (no more mail order guns over state lines)
You need to own semi-autos, no more automatic weapons.

ALL OF THE ABOVE was the result of increasingly tighter gun control. The noose is tightening and the gun nuts are too stupid to see it coming. Go figure.
All the above is not correct. To make it easy for you I bolded some of your mistakes. Here's a hint. Think state's rights!

Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Just because Barack Obama want's new controls proposed by January doesn't mean those controls will be put in place anytime soon. You seem to forget that Congress doesn't even have to bring the bill to the floor for a vote, much less put it into committee for mark up.

Unfortunately for you, Barack Obama is not a dictator. Just because he says it, doesn't mean he'll get it. He's at the mercy of Congress.
I never mentioned Obama, you did. Congress will add restrictions... just watch.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:06 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,444,022 times
Quote:
I hate to break it to YOU, but a majority of the entire U.S. population now disagrees with you. Get a clue.

Polling Center: Should there be restrictions on gun ownership? - Elections & Politics from CNN.com
I hate to burst your bubble but gun sales are at a all time HIGH
According to the California Department of Justice, gun sales increased 49 percent after the November election, compared to the same time last year.
And sales on Black Friday jumped 59 percent from the year before, spokeswoman Michelle Gregory said. The agency expects 725,000 weapons will be legally purchased this year, almost twice the 370,628 firearms bought five years ago.
http://www.pe.com/local-news/topics/...of-tragedy.ece

What is funny is on the crime gun map CA has the 2nd to highest crimes and they have the strictest laws. While Illinois and Louisiana have the highest.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...map-statistics

Last edited by Miborn; 12-19-2012 at 10:21 PM..

Old 12-19-2012, 10:10 PM

50 posts, read 100,969 times
The posters here who think they'll still win the gun rights battle after Newtown remind me of Karl Rove on FOX... "No, really... Obama didn't win Ohio."

Btw, the same voter base --women-- who elected Obama are going to end the NRA. It's not your country anymore, cowboys.

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Another right wing statistical fail.

If you are trying to correlate gun sales with gun ownership, you are on the wrong side of the equation.

The number of gun owners has been in steady decline. Gun ownership has declined from 29% in 1980 to 21% in 2010. What you are witnessing is an increase in gun buying by individuals that already have guns.

In short, gun sales to not correlate to the increase in voters.

Sorry.

3,598 posts, read 4,948,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Hey genius, guess what? Every single one of your points above are erroneous, with the exception of the trigger lock and automatic weapons. Laws vary by State, meaning most of what you posted doesn't apply in many places. In other words, you have no clue what you're talking about.

Let me demonstrate:

At least 4 states don't require a permit for concealed carry.
I can buy a gun from an individual without a background check.
A waiting period is state-specific. I walked in, bought a gun, and left with it in Ohio earlier this year.
I buy "armor piercing" ammo every year, and have done so for many years.

See how easy it is to debunk your ignorance?

There's absolutely NOTHING to suggest that any of the above will change. It's all a figment of your wild imagination.
Those states are a small minority, but thanks for providing a list of loopholes which should be closed in this next round of gun control. I'm sending that list to my congressman.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,206,249 times
Look, if you want a history of gun control over the last 36 years. Just compare these two images.

http://www.gun-nuttery.com/maps/1986.gif

http://www.gun-nuttery.com/maps/2011.gif

In 1986, there were 8 states that issued carry permits, and one state which didn't require a permit to carry. By 2011, you have 37 states that issue carry permits, and four states that don't require a permit.

We aren't going in the direction of more gun control, sorry. You are losing. You have lost.

Old 12-19-2012, 10:19 PM

266 posts, read 410,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I think you misunderstand the gun lobby. Right now, even as the left is condemning guns for this massacre. Not only are gun lobbyists arguing against more gun control. They are actually arguing for less gun control. They aren't just saying we don't need more restrictions on buying guns. They are arguing that we need to get rid of gun-free zones. They are even arguing that we need to arm the teachers.

You think the gun lobby is on the defensive. But they are actually on the offensive. And while certain parts of the country are leaning more and more towards more gun control. Other parts of this country are moving the opposite direction.
What is the logic behind this? More guns = less shootings? So two people pointing guns at each other is safer then two people with no guns? The last thing we need is armed teachers. Some teacher is gonna get fed up with a student and just blow his head off. Hey, I got a good idea lets just start giving out guns. As a matter of fact I know a few guys that just got out of prison that would love a new AK-47 for Christmas. Better yet lets arm the clerks at Wal-mart with AR-15's just incase things get a little out of hand this holiday season that will definitly keep everyone safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies