Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-23-2012, 07:00 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,633,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
My childrens elementary school has an entry close to what I just described. I think it would be tough to get into that school without authority. Physical security is the answer to what happened at Sandy Hook, not gun control whcih never works
A shotgun will take care of all but the most hardened locks, and any firearm will take out glass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,788,902 times
So now you have a beat up lock and a broken window and an armed secretary ready to blow the psycho away

Sorry, physical security is the answer at least with regards to public schools

Quote:
Originally Posted by DentalFloss View Post
A shotgun will take care of all but the most hardened locks, and any firearm will take out glass.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:48 PM

2,677 posts, read 2,633,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
Sorry, physical security is the answer at least with regards to public schools
If it works against an over-armed psychopath, I'm good with it.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:11 PM

5,320 posts, read 6,297,333 times
To be honest I think LaPierre's comments the past couple of days have done more damage to the gun lobby than Newtown. Most people were too busy trying to comprehend the heartlessness, tragedy and bravery of the staff to really start threading the entire thing into some Washington, DC legislative agenda.

But this guy has come off like an absolute kook.

At a minimum they need to close gun show loopholes on background checks and drive criminal & financial punishment for making guns available to crazies through the roof (ie- you let people know you have xyz & don't lock them down like Ft Knox; you assume some responsibility.) And I don't care what anyone says- I went to high school with a guy who was described as a mass-murderer who was caught on his first murder and a couple of lesser criminals. It was pretty easy for people to piece together who was trouble waiting to happen. As much as the parents/preacher/repectable white folk feigned shock three town busy bodies could track their path to violence with a swiftness that would put an FBI profiler to shame. I think we need to start rescinding gun rights for a pattern of lesser crimes. If people can harp on gateway drugs ad naseum we should also be able to piece together who is felony conviction waiting to happen.

I think the whole upcoming debate is going to be like Clarence Thomas- Anita Hill. The Rs will absolutely win on Capitol Hill but the Ds will gain some pick ups the next election. Although in this case it would be minimizing losses since the D ticket had such strong coattails during the presidential year.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM

5,563 posts, read 7,268,257 times
A gun is pretty much like a bible. When you realise there is no bogeyman and not everyone is out to get you, you have no need for either of them.

Reading comments here, it does seem christianity indoctrination and the love of guns starts at an early age. Odd that my parents were pacifist xians and abhorred guns. My father, brother and I all served in the armed forces and even then developed no interest in guns. For awhile I was an armourer so if I had a potential fetish for guns, that was worked out my system rather quickly. Having superior armaments, training et al, only delayed the political will of the masses in the futile civil war we "fought".

I own a gun but it is not an extension of who I am. Bought under the false premise of "self defence", I have never needed it and it never made me feel safe; if anything it gave a false sense of security. It is no more than just a toy for adolescent men. I realise now that if my destiny is to be a victim of a senseless crime, there is very little I can do about it. So many cases here in SA where legal gun owners were killed with their own guns.

I guess that scripture of living and dying by the sword still has merit. Many of these senseless crimes would not have occurred if there had not been a gun to start off with...

This is what makes the whole debacle of faith so ludicrous, the same people that embrace an afterlife spend lots of moolah on gunz to try and stay alive.

Old 12-23-2012, 09:03 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,728,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombieApocExtraordinaire View Post
If certain laws are enacted today making gun ownership a felony, you'd either have to give up your guns or be a "felon" (you can only be a felon if convicted of a felony btw).

I don't use written laws as a source of my morality. I follow my own morality and use the laws as a guideline-i.e is it worth the risk breaking it?

And as I always say: show me an adult, I'll show you a law he has broken. We all make the above decisions. Just some of us are a little bit more honest with ourselves why we're doing it.
Gun lovers - tell me ~ would you sell a gun to a six year old as Zombie has indicated he would be willing to do?

Do tell.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:03 AM

14,845 posts, read 8,288,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerSA View Post
A gun is pretty much like a bible. When you realise there is no bogeyman and not everyone is out to get you, you have no need for either of them.

Reading comments here, it does seem christianity indoctrination and the love of guns starts at an early age. Odd that my parents were pacifist xians and abhorred guns. My father, brother and I all served in the armed forces and even then developed no interest in guns. For awhile I was an armourer so if I had a potential fetish for guns, that was worked out my system rather quickly. Having superior armaments, training et al, only delayed the political will of the masses in the futile civil war we "fought".

I own a gun but it is not an extension of who I am. Bought under the false premise of "self defence", I have never needed it and it never made me feel safe; if anything it gave a false sense of security. It is no more than just a toy for adolescent men. I realise now that if my destiny is to be a victim of a senseless crime, there is very little I can do about it. So many cases here in SA where legal gun owners were killed with their own guns.

I guess that scripture of living and dying by the sword still has merit. Many of these senseless crimes would not have occurred if there had not been a gun to start off with...

This is what makes the whole debacle of faith so ludicrous, the same people that embrace an afterlife spend lots of moolah on gunz to try and stay alive.

I never liked guns, all the way up till I was about 29, I would have gladly voted to get rid of them. I have one friend who absolutely loves guns(and I've gone shooting with him at the range). He spent much of his life in the military. Another friend hates guns, and he has even been robbed multiple times. Beat up so bad he nearly died. And still doesn't want anything to do with guns.

I think the debate about guns is a strange dynamic.

In my opinion, people who like guns are less afraid of dying than people who hate guns. I think people who hate guns are absolutely terrified of death. And people who love guns, think there are much worse things than death, and would be willing to die for some great cause if they felt it necessary.

I'm sure that plays into your Christianity argument. Because it is certainly true that many people of religious foundations would sacrifice their life for their faith. But it is really sacrificing their lives for an idea, to preserve the world as they believe it should be. To stand up for what they believe is right.

I do believe that as an individual, that you are safer without a gun than with a gun. But I believe that as a society, we are all better off because the people are armed. And I have very little faith in our government, or the police.

Do I personally want a gun? I've thought about it, but it seems like a really bad idea under the circumstances. But do I want to take away everyone elses guns? That seems like an utterly foolish thing to do.

It seems to me that people who hate guns, are the kinds of people who don't really stand for anything. They are the "live life for right now" kind of people. They look at everything on a micro or individual level, rather than looking at things on the macro or societal level. They look at things based on how it might affect them personally, rather than how it affects everyone. And I feel like many of them see the world with sort of rose-colored glasses. Refusing to accept the world for as it is, but rather wanting to believe that the world is better than it really is, or at least it can be, or should be.

The people who want to get rid of guns have their hearts in the right place. They want a safer world. They want a better world. The problem is that they refuse to acknowledge the causes of why the world is what it is. They have tried so hard to turn the world on its head, to create a new world. And they refuse to accept the world in way but basically perfect. And they don't understand why their plans never work.

People who like guns tend to see the world for what it is. They realize people aren't perfect, not will people ever be perfect. People who appreciate are what I might consider realists. Who say, you can't fix the problems of the world by wishing them away. Or by spending money. People, individuals, have to fix their own problems. And we need to make sure we give people the tools they need to accomplish those ends.

But if we go back to the Christianity argument, my point-of-view is much the same. I'm not a Christian, never really was. I'm an agnostic, which probably leans more towards deism than atheism. But not because I believe this or that. But rather, its because I have a bias.

In my view, a world without any point whatsoever, is a terrible world. A pointless world.

While I don't care much for the different sects of Christianity. I can't help but appreciate how Christianity has been a force for good in its history. And the Christian haters really need to keep things in perspective, rather than demonizing everything Christians have ever done.

As Ghandi said, I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. I think that is sort of an important distinction.

Who can dislike Christ?

I haven't been to church since I was probably 10 years old. I didn't read a single passage from the bible from 10 years old till about 29 years old. In fact, it wasn't till I came to this forum that I even paid any attention to what the bible said. But I've come to appreciate the New Testament. And it's hard for me to find true fault in someone who preached such great things. And I simply don't see how atheism makes us better people.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 AM

10,553 posts, read 9,710,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
I never liked guns, all the way up till I was about 29, I would have gladly voted to get rid of them. I have one friend who absolutely loves guns(and I've gone shooting with him at the range). He spent much of his life in the military. Another friend hates guns, and he has even been robbed multiple times. Beat up so bad he nearly died. And still doesn't want anything to do with guns.

I think the debate about guns is a strange dynamic.

In my opinion, people who like guns are less afraid of dying than people who hate guns. I think people who hate guns are absolutely terrified of death. And people who love guns, think there are much worse things than death, and would be willing to die for some great cause if they felt it necessary.
Wouldn't it be the reverse?

Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,154,589 times
dumb thread, the guns being sold are 99% to gun owners and dealers who are buying to resell to stupid people who will over pay or harders buying out of fear. If you look at the stats the homes that own guns is not going up its the people who already have a gun. Do you really thing there are millions of people who were just sitting on the fence to buy an AR.? LMAO. No not at all. Its the usual suspects buying and hording. Ihave already see this on Armslist, New AR being offered for 1600 and even dealers one add said Coming in soon, 5 bushmasters 1500 each.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:08 PM

415 posts, read 619,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
It will not be a one day deal but a long process, with guns increasingly seen as inappropriate. In the future many will prefer the $200 government (and private donors) money over their piece. Ammunition will also be less accessible (and yes I know, some will still produce it in their garage).
Take smoking for example: it is not illegal to smoke, yet I see less and less people doing so. It is now banned on subway and train platforms, in city parks, etc.
Bottom line: it may take 20+ years and still not every weapon accounted for, but there will be a certain decline.
Smoking is not a constitutional right. Gun ownership (and the supreme court has repeatedly affirmed this) is a constitutional right guaranteed by the second amendment.

Altering the constitution would require 2/3 of the senate, 2/3 of the house and 38 states to agree to change the constitution. It isn't going to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies