Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 PM

19,904 posts, read 22,830,404 times

Advertisements

So I'm law abiding and don't mind taking a proficiency test and have a full background check before I'm allowed to purchase a firearm.

Just like before getting a drivers permit. And rechecked in every so many years making sure there are no medical provisions prohibiting operation of a motor vehicle. And having insurance and registration and so forth and so on. I moved here and had to take a test to make sure I know the difference between a griz and a black bear to get a bear permit and prove proficiency with my Matthews bow before being granted an archery permit. All these things make sure I am not a detriment to society or some jack-leg in the woods.

So why make access to lethal instruments so easy and not take steps to ensure some sense like what is described above? Just cause?

This issue is going to keep building so far up in crest that if us folks don't come up with solutions, others will do it for us that DON'T enjoy what we enjoy. We should be pushing damn hard for existing laws to be enforced and coming up with solutions to keep looney-tunes from getting firearms.

I encourage you all not to think short term. Time is not on our side, that I can be assured of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,758,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
That presumes that those teachers would choose to be armed. In a school. A place of learning.

My wife is a teacher. She should not have to 'arm' herself in order to teach children in a safe environment. She would not choose to carry a firearm in a school, as would most other teachers. Arming an entire society does not magically make society safer. To even think in such terms is simply delusional and simply does not merit an argument to the contrary. Access laws to firearms in this country are way too easy. Hell they're easier than getting an archery permit to hunt in Montana.

And before anyone even begins to spout off that I'm some hippie liberal creep- I am a veteran, a sportsman, lived in WV and MT most of my life, and own more firearms than most of you that are espousing the graces of unfettered firearm ownership. And most of my ilk feel the same way. There is no reason that we, as a society, can't keep a lid on the access to firearms to looney's like the one that shot those kids to an early grave. A REAL patriot and American would stand up for those kids. Not the frekkin' NRA, not some hollow organization driven by corporate profits.

You want to defend our rights as lawfully abiding firearm owners and sportsmen? Then come to the table with real solutions- not some looney "let's arm all the teachers" diatribe. That logic will get you nowhere except the bunker you may have dug in your backyard.
Arming an entire society does not make it safer? really?

Countries with Highest Murder Rates - World Top Ten

so that is a lie as well

As for your wife, fine if she does not want to be armed, fine, why should other teachers not have the right to protect themselves and their students?

Yes that is right, a" Real" patriots would give up their rights, and the NRA is just a corporate shill, never mind they are the oldest civil rights organization in America, as well as fighting to preserve and expected the 2nd Amendment, not give it all to avoid being shamed by a bunch of emotionalistic statist who want a monopoly of force and violence, who would not wait for a moment to pimp the murder of children, and prostitute their parents.

When you compromise on principals and fundamentals what do you have left? nothing..

Old 11-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Arming an entire society does not make it safer? really?

Countries with Highest Murder Rates - World Top Ten

so that is a lie as well

As for your wife, fine if she does not want to be armed, fine, why should other teachers not have the right to protect themselves and their students?

Yes that is right, a" Real" patriots would give up their rights, and the NRA is just a corporate shill, never mind they are the oldest civil rights organization in America, as well as fighting to preserve and expected the 2nd Amendment, not give it all to avoid being shamed by a bunch of emotionalistic statist who want a monopoly of force and violence, who would not wait for a moment to pimp the murder of children, and prostitute their parents.

When you compromise on principals and fundamentals what do you have left? nothing..
Oh BS. The NRA stopped being a voice for sportsmen and responsible gun owners long ago. Look at the period when their majority income shifted from membership dues to corporate PAC money. It's as hollow as it gets. Their nothing more than a PAC for corporate interests, not for us countrymen.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
So I'm law abiding and don't mind taking a proficiency test and have a full background check before I'm allowed to purchase a firearm.

Just like before getting a drivers permit. And rechecked in every so many years making sure there are no medical provisions prohibiting operation of a motor vehicle. And having insurance and registration and so forth and so on. I moved here and had to take a test to make sure I know the difference between a griz and a black bear to get a bear permit and prove proficiency with my Matthews bow before being granted an archery permit. All these things make sure I am not a detriment to society or some jack-leg in the woods.

So why make access to lethal instruments so easy and not take steps to ensure some sense like what is described above? Just cause?

This issue is going to keep building so far up in crest that if us folks don't come up with solutions, others will do it for us that DON'T enjoy what we enjoy. We should be pushing damn hard for existing laws to be enforced and coming up with solutions to keep looney-tunes from getting firearms.

I encourage you all not to think short term. Time is not on our side, that I can be assured of.
driving is not a right, owning a gun is. and you are innocent until proving guilty...so yeah.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Oh BS. The NRA stopped being a voice for sportsmen and responsible gun owners long ago. Look at the period when their majority income shifted from membership dues to corporate PAC money. It's as hollow as it gets. Their nothing more than a PAC for corporate interests, not for us countrymen.
Yeah they stopped from 1934 to 1970, after 1970 they final woke to see the damage already down to the 2nd amendment..

and yes, they do take money..who does not take money when it comes to promoting their views and values?

and its only hollow to you...and you know what? I dont care what you believe..I find it sicking you would give up your rights all for what? the feelings of safety..

I take GOA,JPFO, ect are all hollow as well right?

if you dont believe what I believe its hollow and a corporate shills...got it. its getting old quick..

Old 11-05-2013, 11:40 PM

Just as anyone can own a car. The ability to operate it legally is another story. It takes at least an exam and some accountability to operate a vehicle. Not a perfect system, but at least some accountability. And I will submit that a lot of drivers shouldn't be allowed to continue to operate a vehicle, but nothing like I said nothing is perfect.

When purchasing a firearm there is no test to ensure they can operate or responsibly use it. No classes. No nothing except no "hey- your NICS is clean so go forth and shoot it up". I guess it's a right to have access even if you are a menace to society. Great.

Personal transactions are even less stringent (basically non recorded). You can straw man a transaction to any felon you want and have no liability in the matter.

There isn't even a requirement to learn basic responsibilities of gun ownership. That was something my parents insisted that I take back in the D-A-Y when the NRA focused more on training than political grandstanding. Hell the sportsman safety program my kids took here in Montana was sponsored by the Fish Wildlife and Game Dept and paid through lisc. fees etc. I asked the sportsman club hosting the course if the NRA sponsored it and he said not in a LONG time.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah they stopped from 1934 to 1970, after 1970 they final woke to see the damage already down to the 2nd amendment..

and yes, they do take money..who does not take money when it comes to promoting their views and values?

and its only hollow to you...and you know what? I dont care what you believe..I find it sicking you would give up your rights all for what? the feelings of safety..

I take GOA,JPFO, ect are all hollow as well right?

if you dont believe what I believe its hollow and a corporate shills...got it. its getting old quick..
No- I don't believe that unfettered access to firearms is a great idea and arguments to support that position are growing very, very tiresome and very quickly.

I am very much for a pro-active stance, as a gun owner and an avid sportsman. That's what I believe.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Just as anyone can own a car. The ability to operate it legally is another story. It takes at least an exam and some accountability to operate a vehicle. Not a perfect system, but at least some accountability. And I will submit that a lot of drivers shouldn't be allowed to continue to operate a vehicle, but nothing like I said nothing is perfect.

When purchasing a firearm there is no test to ensure they can operate or responsibly use it. No classes. No nothing except no "hey- your NICS is clean so go forth and shoot it up". I guess it's a right to have access even if you are a menace to society. Great.

Personal transactions are even less stringent (basically non recorded). You can sell straw man a purchase to any felon you want and have no liability in the matter.

There isn't even a requirement to learn basic responsibilities of gun ownership. That was something my parents insisted that I take back in the D-A-Y when the NRA focused more on training than political grandstanding. Hell the sportsman safety program my kids took here in Montana was sponsored by the Fish Wildlife and Game Dept and paid through lisc. fees etc. I asked the sportsman club hosting the course if the NRA sponsored it and he said not in a LONG time.
Once again owning a car is not a right..

Why should I have to talk a class? should I have to take a class to be able to speak? or have my 4th amendment rights protected?

Hey background checks dont work, and they dont stop people for stealing guns or buying them on the black market..so yeah..

once again, personal transactions are unstoppable, ant not a major issue, most buy from the black market, not off of back page.

Hey its a right not a privialge, its not perfect, but this nation was founded on freedom, liberty, and free men being in charge of their lives, and their rights, not the lie of safety and security.

The NRA still trains people, the Eddie eagle program is a great program and has saved countless lives. they are just focusing alot more at protecting and defending the right to keep and bear arms.

After the National Firearms Act, The Gun Control Act of 1968, The Hughes Amendment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 that banned the manufacturing of new machines guns after May 19, 1986 they have been late to the party, and untill these laws are repealed we will not stop.

My rights trump your dead.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Once again owning a car is not a right..

Why should I have to talk a class? should I have to take a class to be able to speak? or have my 4th amendment rights protected?

Hey background checks dont work, and they dont stop people for stealing guns or buying them on the black market..so yeah..

once again, personal transactions are unstoppable, ant not a major issue, most buy from the black market, not off of back page.

Hey its a right not a privialge, its not perfect, but this nation was founded on freedom, liberty, and free men being in charge of their lives, and their rights, not the lie of safety and security.

The NRA still trains people, the Eddie eagle program is a great program and has saved countless lives. they are just focusing alot more at protecting and defending the right to keep and bear arms.

After the National Firearms Act, The Gun Control Act of 1968, The Hughes Amendment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 that banned the manufacturing of new machines guns after May 19, 1986 they have been late to the party, and untill these laws are repealed we will not stop.

My rights trump your dead.

Actually owning personal property is a right. Such as a car. And taking classes are a great thing and SHOULD be required. Like basic grammar and math in school. And Eddie Eagle? Ha- I havn't seen his logo since I shot .22 competition as a kid. 35 years ago. C'mon.

Great- go after everyone being able to own own a machine gun. Pick your side bud.

Old 11-06-2013, 12:24 AM

21 posts, read 33,171 times
But as an Aussie it is far to late for Americans to do a buy back.

And good god people saying a teacher armed with a pistol is going to see off some nutter with a AR 15, far better to have steel doors on class rooms with steel shutters on the windows.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies