Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 05:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,499,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Five reasons why an "assault weapons ban" will do nothing to prevent future mass-shootings.
These mass shootings are the result of people with mental health issues. So, I think we should be focusing on improving our mental health system.

[concentrate on the people doing the killing and not on what they use to do it]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2013, 05:53 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,998,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
These mass shootings are the result of people with mental health issues. So, I think we should be focusing on improving our mental health system.

You are being logical. That is not allowed in any gun discussion, particularly by pro-Second Amendment People.
10 lashes with a handful of cooked long spaghetti as punishment (self inflicted, of course).

Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,485,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
People buying firearms anytime, anyplace they want is a large part of the problem but Alaska is quite different than NY.

There are plenty of examples of murders where guns are allowed.

People that are mentally incompetent on a suicide mission don't really plan out an attack on "gun free zones", you're giving them too much credit and guns for the most part will never be allowed in schools although there are some that have taken that rather dramatic step.

The problem is the lack of care and respect that some gun owners show, a middle age house wife with an at risk son should not have taught him how to use them or made them available.
None of my firearms were purchased in Alaska. Most of my firearms were purchased in Los Angeles, with a few coming from Nebraska and Minnesota, and I do not consider it a problem. What I consider to be a problem are the nimrods who attempt to stop me from purchasing a firearm anytime and any place I want, or want to subject me to a background check.

There are more examples of mass shootings where ever firearms are prohibited. Anyone who supports "gun free zones" cannot be right in the head. They must be mentally diseased in order to WANT children and others to be shot. Not coincidentally, only liberal freaks support killing as many children as possible.

Let me guess, "gun free zones" is your idea of a retroactive abortion, right? I know how much liberal freaks are really into killing children, this is just another way to accomplish that sick goal.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:00 PM

11,153 posts, read 10,733,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
A great idea would be to allow any American adult to purchase an assault weapon with the following caveats:

1. 14 Day "Cooling Off" period before delivery of the weapon(s).
Why 14 days? Why not any other random arbitrary number, such as 3, 17, or 20? Do you really think that a waiting period is going to stop a mass shooting? And exactly why should a so-called "assault weapon" be treated differently from any other type of firearm, especially when many of the non-"assault weapon" firearms are much more powerful and have the potential to be much more deadly than those scary black guns?

Quote:
2. Thorough background check of psychological and/or criminal history.
We already have background checks.

Quote:
3. A questionnaire (100 questions minimum) to determine current psychological state.
Who grades this questionnaire and determines whether or not the applicant is mentally fit to own a firearm? And who appoints that person and/or agency? It's not like government agencies have shown themselves to be all that reliable in the last decade or so, is it?

Quote:
4. A current license to own a weapon (the license is granted after passing an approved state course on the proper and safe use and care of assault weapons).
There's a little part of the 2nd Amendment which states "shall not be infringed". This idea essentially infringes upon the rights of anyone who is illiterate or otherwise unable to take the course and/or pass the test.

Quote:
5. Each purchase will have a special tax that will support a "compensation fund" for families of previous mass shootings.
Sounds a lot like a poll tax, but let's think about this. Should you pay a special tax every time you exercise your right to free speech? How about the aforementioned poll tax - should you pay a special tax in order to vote? If your answer to either of these questions is no, good for you - you at least have a basic understanding of what an idiotic idea that would be. Now explain why it's okay to tax one right but not any of the others.

Quote:
If you think these requirements are too much of an inconvenience for you to own an assault rifle then tell the families of these kids your problems.
I've got a better idea. Why don't you explain to those families why, in the interest of reducing the incidents of mass shootings, we have created hunting preserves for the criminally insane where they know that they can inflict the maximum amount of damage before being stopped. Stop blaming people who support the 2nd Amendment and believe in personal responsibility for the laws that allow this kind of stupidity to happen. We didn't pass idiotic laws which place our children in danger - that blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the left.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:05 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,752,561 times
Quote:
A great idea would be to allow any American adult to purchase an assault weapon with the following caveats:

1. 14 Day "Cooling Off" period before delivery of the weapon(s).

2. Thorough background check of psychological and/or criminal history.

3. A questionnaire (100 questions minimum) to determine current psychological state.

4. A current license to own a weapon (the license is granted after passing an approved state course on the proper and safe use and care of assault weapons).

5. Each purchase will have a special tax that will support a "compensation fund" for families of previous mass shootings.

If you think these requirements are too much of an inconvenience for you to own an assault rifle then tell the families of these kids your problems.
You would use children to advance an agenda that would create more victims all in the name of public safety...You sir sicken me beyond measure.

Old 11-04-2013, 08:45 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,553,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Why 14 days? Why not any other random arbitrary number, such as 3, 17, or 20? Do you really think that a waiting period is going to stop a mass shooting? And exactly why should a so-called "assault weapon" be treated differently from any other type of firearm, especially when many of the non-"assault weapon" firearms are much more powerful and have the potential to be much more deadly than those scary black guns?

We already have background checks.

Who grades this questionnaire and determines whether or not the applicant is mentally fit to own a firearm? And who appoints that person and/or agency? It's not like government agencies have shown themselves to be all that reliable in the last decade or so, is it?

There's a little part of the 2nd Amendment which states "shall not be infringed". This idea essentially infringes upon the rights of anyone who is illiterate or otherwise unable to take the course and/or pass the test.

Sounds a lot like a poll tax, but let's think about this. Should you pay a special tax every time you exercise your right to free speech? How about the aforementioned poll tax - should you pay a special tax in order to vote? If your answer to either of these questions is no, good for you - you at least have a basic understanding of what an idiotic idea that would be. Now explain why it's okay to tax one right but not any of the others.

I've got a better idea. Why don't you explain to those families why, in the interest of reducing the incidents of mass shootings, we have created hunting preserves for the criminally insane where they know that they can inflict the maximum amount of damage before being stopped. Stop blaming people who support the 2nd Amendment and believe in personal responsibility for the laws that allow this kind of stupidity to happen. We didn't pass idiotic laws which place our children in danger - that blame rests squarely on the shoulders of the left.
So, nothing to say to the families of the murdered children... like "sorry for your loss" or something along those lines?

Old 11-04-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
You would use children to advance an agenda that would create more victims all in the name of public safety...You sir sicken me beyond measure.
Well I am sickened by people using 2nd graders for target practice but, hey, I guess folks are "sickened" by different things.

To each his own.

Old 11-04-2013, 09:23 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,218,036 times
Quote:
Well I am sickened by people using 2nd graders for target practice but, hey, I guess folks are "sickened" by different things.

To each his own.
None of the things you proposed would make a material difference unless we can do a better job with mentally ill people. Requiring a "license" after training might produce more accurate and deadlier shooters.

The casualty count in Newtown would have been the same if Lanza had just used pistols - like Cho did at Virginia Tech.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
None of the things you proposed would make a material difference unless we can do a better job with mentally ill people. Requiring a "license" after training might produce more accurate and deadlier shooters.

The casualty count in Newtown would have been the same if Lanza had just used pistols - like Cho did at Virginia Tech.
At least it is a proposal.

The gun enthusiast side only cares to protect themselves.

What about the kids of Sandy Hook?

Don't you guys have even a little compassion for them?

Old 11-04-2013, 11:22 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,950,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

One would think we should do this and not restrict guns. But NO, we have to restrict guns. Don't get me wrong we have issues with people getting guns when they shouldn't and quite frankly we need to work on the NICS system to tighten up the mental health reports for background checks. To me, this is a big reason why we are having all these mass shootings. That and irresponsible gun owners like the mother in Sandy Hook who left the guns she shot in her house rather than some place else that her sociopathic son couldn't get to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies