Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2012, 01:29 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,363,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
, they pose a threat to occupying soldiers.
Hence the reason they are being detained. You can argue the soldiers shouldn't be there but since they are they need to protect themselves, by any means available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2012, 01:36 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,990,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Hence the reason they are being detained. You can argue the soldiers shouldn't be there but since they are they need to protect themselves, by any means available.
Yep, wars ain't pretty. We ought to avoid them.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:39 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,176,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It involves more than simple "detainment." For how long are they being held? Let's say that we were to take old man McCain's advice and remain in Afghanistan for decades to come. Would it be acceptable to keep this children "detained" until they reach old age? Would that be okay in your eyes? Is it acceptable to keep 12 year-olds "detained" for a year? Far be it from me to offer advice on this, but maybe it should be instructive to us when children attack us as an occupational force that perhaps it is time to move on.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM

45,495 posts, read 26,772,775 times
Have to ensure there is a next generation of terrorists

Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,133,820 times
Quote:
I love how you put "children" in quotation marks. Since 12-16 apparently do not qualify as "children" in your world, would you care to delineate when childhood ends and adulthood begins? Mind you, I have a problem with throwing adults into our Hanoi Hilton without some form of due process, but I'll play along for argument's sake.

Would love to. Under 12, I would classify as "children". Even here in the U.S. crimes can be charged at adult level at 12 and over.

Do I have a problem w/ the absence of due process? Sure. But that was not the point of the post, and is a different topic all together.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,133,820 times
Quote:
It involves more than simple "detainment." For how long are they being held? Let's say that we were to take old man McCain's advice and remain in Afghanistan for decades to come. Would it be acceptable to keep this children "detained" until they reach old age? Would that be okay in your eyes? Is it acceptable to keep 12 year-olds "detained" for a year? Far be it from me to offer advice on this, but maybe it should be instructive to us when children attack us as an occupational force that perhaps it is time to move on.

Most detainees are not kept indefinitely. Many have been released and most returned to their home countries. Some have been recaptured and returned to Gitmo not many years after their release.

Old 12-09-2012, 01:59 PM

45,495 posts, read 26,772,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
Most detainees are not kept indefinitely. Many have been released and most returned to their home countries. Some have been recaptured and returned to Gitmo not many years after their release.
Im sure uncle sam gives them candy,coloring books and mini american flags to bring back home them

Old 12-09-2012, 04:10 PM

4,289 posts, read 3,830,836 times
Have to be cautious these days. What do you bet we gave some young Afghan kid a get out of jail free card in the past and that young kid grew up to be known as Osama and bombed the world trade center. I dont trust any of them. My wife is deployed to Afghanistan right now working with the locals and I fear for her life everysingle day. Other countries dont play fair like we do.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:19 PM

5,261 posts, read 4,176,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
Have to be cautious these days. What do you bet we gave some young Afghan kid a get out of jail free card in the past and that young kid grew up to be known as Osama and bombed the world trade center. I dont trust any of them. My wife is deployed to Afghanistan right now working with the locals and I fear for her life everysingle day. Other countries dont play fair like we do.
I'm sure they feel the same way about Americans, only their feelings are probably a tad more justified.

Old 12-09-2012, 04:27 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,297,631 times
Quote:
Acceptable for me? They used arms against US Soldiers and Marines? Death penalty applies. No, I don't care what age they are. No. I don't care what the reasons for us being there is.

They conspired with others to kill US Soldiers and Marines? Lock em up until the issue has been resolved. 2 yrs to 20 yrs. Not my concern and again, NO, I don't care about them.

I CARE about the United States men and women who are fighting for this country (leave the illegal war out of it, it isn't part of the equation). I'll do whatever is necessary, including torture, to keep OUR men/women safe.

THEY are the enemy and should be treated as such. A 12 yr old can pull the trigger of an AK, just as fast as I can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies