Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-26-2013, 11:19 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,076,028 times

Advertisements

If you have a religious issue with this ruling - please bring it elsewhere. I am interested in discussing what this ruling means within the context of the law.

I am interested in discussing how striking down DOMA will apply to states where same sex marriage is not legal.

First, there's the issue if a legally gay couple moves to a state where their marriage is not recognized. How does Federal law treat them then? Are they considered married or not? Do benefits confer with the place of where you married or where you live?

Second, many states use Federal tax filings for the basis of their own tax forms. Does this increase complication? I know it will but does this mean each state where same sex marriage is not legal now how to change how they collect taxes?

Finally, what about institutions who accept Federal funding but are located in a state where same sex marriage is not legal? Does that institution have to provide married benefits (e.g. insurance for spouse) or do they follow the state's laws where they are located?

Not looking at all of the morality, rightness, or wrongness of this ruling, I am curious on how it changes how business is done in the majority of our states now.

991 posts, read 1,115,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
You seem to be intimately acquainted with your invisible friend. Tell me, why is He all-powerful, all-perfect, all-knowing, and all-wise, yet can't handle money? He always needs money!
George Carlin. Love it.

Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,936,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
As far as I know the government isn't forcing anyone to eat shellfish. Our leaders are on the road to forcing us to approve of an abomination, raising it to the level of His blessed sacrament.
The government isn't forcing anyone to get gay married either.

10,564 posts, read 12,870,502 times
There is nothing "supreme" about any western court. There is not one supreme person in any of these courts...Just chumps who do the bidding of their political friends. Try to find a judge these days that actually uses real judgement to decide a case...YOU WON'T find one single judge - ALL judges rule on POLICY dictated to them from government- The Supreme court are hacks that do what they are told.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,284,809 times
Quote:
Disgusting ruling. Justice Kennedy is a vile man an agent of the devil.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:20 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,308,854 times
Way to go supreme court!! Everyone here is very happy, although the outcome was only expected given it's a fairly cut and dry case. Equal protection to citizens.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,817,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
So are jurors free to acquit if they disagree with a law under which a defendant is charged?
They certainly are, that is always true. It's called "jury nullification".

But that's got nothing to with this case. the decision to not defend, was made by the state governor, not by any jurors. Does the Governor have any authority to refuse to defend legally passed laws of his state, whether he likes it or not?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:21 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,690,368 times
Apparently there was one guy outside SCOTUS today with a sign that read: "If I can't marry my boyfriend, I'll marry your daughter!"

Old 06-26-2013, 11:22 AM

42,732 posts, read 30,005,186 times
Quote:
As far as I know the government isn't forcing anyone to eat shellfish. Our leaders are on the road to forcing us to approve of an abomination, raising it to the level of His blessed sacrament.
The government isn't forcing anyone to eat shellfish.

The government isn't forcing anyone to marry anyone, either.

The government isn't forcing anyone to approve of anything.

If you don't like people eating shellfish, you're free to continue disliking people eating shellfish.

And if I choose to bow my head and thank God for the blessings he's given me, including that scrumptious Lobster dripping in garlic butter, it's no skin off your nose, is it?

Old 06-26-2013, 11:23 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,302,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
There is nothing "supreme" about any western court. There is not one supreme person in any of these courts...Just chumps who do the bidding of their political friends. Try to find a judge these days that actually uses real judgement to decide a case...YOU WON'T find one single judge - ALL judges rule on POLICY dictated to them from government- The Supreme court are hacks that do what they are told.
And the US constitution is the specific body that tells them what to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies