Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times

Advertisements

Fair enough, I found this Jane Smiley gal.....I may have to take back that comment about Coulter having no counterpart.
Less venom but more arrogance.

This one is a slam dunk.....

Jane Smiley: Conservatives Cost a Lot of Money - Politics on The Huffington Post

More in here.....more subtle but moore is a sarcastic and funny guy.....

MichaelMoore.com : A Liberal's Pledge to Disheartened Conservatives ...by Michael Moore

This slate article is a dooooooozey......
The unteachable ignorance of the red states. - By Jane Smiley - Slate Magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2007, 08:20 PM

78,433 posts, read 60,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Well... we'll have to agree to disagree. I'm trying not to be partisan, maybe I can't help it, but to me it doesn't fit the criteria. I wouldn't think it fit the criteria if someone accused "the far left faction of the Democratic Party" of being racist, if they had earlier separated that faction from "liberals" as a whole. My issue isn't that she said that she "likes conservatives," but that she explicitly separates the two terms... it seems obvious from the quote that she's not referring to the WHOLE Republican party or the WHOLE of conservative America but instead the right wing of that America. But you definitely have got me down for the count... after the above Paul Krugman article only one Half Coulter remains for me to exact my self-imposed punishment.
No punishment should be imposed....you are providing a valuable service. (seriously).

There are GROSS idiots on both sides of the political fence. Everyone should seriously take a step back if you have fallen so in love with a party that EVERYTHING they do is just OK with you.

If you do this, you will be taken for granted. See the NAACP for the poster child of whom is not courted other than lip-service. Look how the hispanic vote is chased by both parties....why? Because THEY will vote for either party.

Support issues and those that actually champion your issues and you will not be disappointed and milked like a cow.

Old 10-11-2007, 08:37 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,068 times
And we have...

YouTube - Alabama State Tuba's Playing Tank Fanfare

Approximately Four Coulters (Michael Moore's message was more of a half-Coulter than a full one)!

I made a tactical error in loosening the original regulation that the liberal articles must refer to conservatives as mentally diseased or incapable of rational thought (which I still believe would be a tough one to find two articles for from "legitimate" sources), but congratulations for proving the ignorance I realized I displayed a couple of hours ago, but didn't want to go back on it. America loves you, the US loves you, your state loves you, your city loves you, and the world loves you! The universe should fall apart if not for the great wisdom of the man of math,

I should have stuck with the original command

"Also, if anyone can pull up an article from a respected liberal website containing the same sort of "all conservatives are irrational morons who can't think" nonsense that would be the opposite of these articles, I would be happy to read it and recant my position."

But then again, maybe the "Red State" article came close to that... most of the left-wing "propaganda" I'm used to hearing comes from The Nation's website or similar sources that dedicate more time to talking about policy, war, etc. than name-calling Conservative America, apparently I'm ignorant when it comes to the breadth of liberal punditry out there, which isn't surprising since I live in Alabama, where you can make political attack ads out of an opponent simply being "too liberal..." Actually my upbringing was sort of similar to that described in the Jane Smiley piece.

But anyways:

#1:

Proved wrong I was when

I thought that I'd end

Debate by trying

To see if lying

and slandering would send

Messages from bend-

ed thought process sins,

Make fun of people not politic-ians,

You won the missi--aan!

Are you a Christian?

Or already got religion?

#2:

I should have made my standards tighter

So that way I could really fight your

Onslaught of articles of a lighter

variety that make fun from left side or

right or,

try to say conservatives up tight or

Greedy, don't care about needy snipers!

#3:

Song of defeat, because I choose to greet

With challenge that people turn out to meet

Cause I hadn't read these people you quote

For the most part now see what they wrote

Agree with most and boast that coat-

ing over ignores that weapon tote-

ing Republicans smote

by the fierce blades of reason

and treason-ous liberals out for hunting season

Keep wheezin and coughin

Cause I don't think, left slander often

Matches that of right,

less name calling but still it's slight

ly apparent in the articles that you post

But I still hold that for the most

Part left generalize less

When it comes to other half of American-ness

In two days I shall return........ not because of the challenge but because I seriously need to stop being on this website so much.

Last edited by fishmonger; 10-11-2007 at 09:29 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 09:00 PM

2,935 posts, read 5,001,068 times
But overall, I have to agree with Yeledaf in that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Ann Coulter is a highly effective polemicist who gives the haters on the left a taste of their own unreasoning venom.

Last edited by fishmonger; 10-11-2007 at 09:30 PM..

Old 10-11-2007, 11:30 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
I've never read an article from a liberal pundit trying to paint conservatism in general as some sort of deranged mental disorder with no possible rational basis. What is it about conservative punditry that seems to emphasize degrading an entire worldview and a large portion of society, rather than simply those in power who practice their approximation of it? Is it philosophical differences, mental differences, "team" mentality... I don't get it.

Also, if anyone can pull up an article from a respected liberal website containing the same sort of "all conservatives are irrational morons who can't think" nonsense that would be the opposite of these articles, I would be happy to read it and recant my position.

Townhall.com::Liberals: A Puzzlement::By Burt Prelutsky

EDIT:

And more

AnnCoulter.com - Archived Article: Never Trust A Liberal Over 3 (http://www.anncoulter.com/cgi-local/article.cgi?article=24 - broken link)

"Liberls R stupd and lovd the USSR and they all lie an cheet!"
Many Liberals did in fact hale the USSR as the good guys and we the bad guys inspite of how they raped and pillaged from their sattelite nations. Many Liberals do in fact speak of anyone who is conservative as racists, bible bangers, cruel, and backward. This isn't news its been this way for the longest.
Was it not a few of the liberals in dc who described our soldiers as jack booted nazi's? Why is it that the Liberal press is more than willing to hammer anyone who believes in the death penalty for convicted killers. Liberals have made their bed. Not all are bad. I would vote for Liberman because he is a fair minded man. He leans liberal but he is indeed open minded.
Al Gore? LOL
John Kerry? LOL
John Edwaeds? LOL
Ted Kennedy? LOL
When do any of those 4 rely on facts to make a point?

Old 10-12-2007, 03:55 AM

99 posts, read 198,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
"Commentary" and "journalism" are not the same, though you use them synonymously. I would be interested in your views of "legitimate" vs "non-legitimate" commentary. I have a feeling that the former would be mostly liberals, the latter conservatives.

The mainstream media is not impartial. It is basically hostile to conservative viewpoints. For example: would you consider Chris Matthews an "impartial" jounalist? How about Keith Olbermann, who does co-coverage of the debates when he wears his "straight" mask while working with Matthews?

Besides, as you well know, bias often expresses itself in the choice of stories to be covered, rather than in the commentary on those stories. The MSM goes nuts over Larry Craig, but forgets Barney Frank; it dwells lovingly on Mitt Romney's Mormon "baggage" while ignoring Harry Reid's; and reports ominously on the Christian Right's unhealthy influence on the Republican Party while passing over the nutballs of MoveOn/Code Pink/Daily Kos and their death-grip on the DNC.

The Left has virtually the entire broadcast and print media, not to mention taxpayer-funded NPR and PBS to hammer home its propaganda and point of view.

The Right has Fox and some AM radio stations. And you blame them for being a little shrill?

Come ON.
Very good post!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies