Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Smoking Cool?
Yes 19 19.19%
No 80 80.81%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 06:07 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,784,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Secondhand smoke puts kids in the emergency room all the time if they are prone to asthma. I had to quit going to bars back when smoking was allowed because every time I went and sucked in secondhand smoked I'd spend the wee hours of the night in emergency. Secondhand smoking dangers are real. I think I agree with you about third hand smoking. That seems far-fetched.

CDC - Fact Sheet - Adult Cigarette Smoking in the United States - Smoking & Tobacco Use
Just about the last bunch of idiots I'm gonna believe, now or ever, is the messed up CDC.

As far as your personal issues, perhaps they were caused by other things (I mentioned jet fuel), and simply aggravated by cig smoke. I'm not convinced. There are far too many other things causing overwhelming cases of asthma and other breathing conditions.

I don't know. I just know there are too many healthy smokers and too many unhealthy non-smokers. It doesn't compute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,919,213 times
Is it cool to defy death and win? Yep...some will die from smoking- others will die at 90 with a smoke in one hand and a glass of whiskey in the other...Death does not play favorites..It can some for the clean lunged jogger as well as the filthy smoker.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:18 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,844,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Is it cool to defy death and win? Yep...some will die from smoking- others will die at 90 with a smoke in one hand and a glass of whiskey in the other...Death does not play favorites..It can some for the clean lunged jogger as well as the filthy smoker.
Everytime I fire that ^^ "stinger" (MIG welder) up...I get a face full. Am I going to stop building cars and racing?
Hell no....that's what girly men do!

Old 10-28-2012, 06:26 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,528,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverboat Gambler View Post
A man has got to do what a man has got to do.
Well it's your choice and I certainly don't support making it illegal or anything (as long as we can make weed legal, since it is less harmful )

Old 10-28-2012, 06:29 PM

1,019 posts, read 2,768,235 times
Thankfully, smoking is indeed still cool because it's still an act of rebellion. The anti-smoking lobby is composed mainly of overly-moralistic *******s who think it's their god-given right to tell other people how to live their lives. I don't smoke, but I sleep better at night knowing that in our modern risk-averse society, one can still decide to light up a cigarette without being arrested for their own protection.

Old 10-28-2012, 06:42 PM

1,438 posts, read 1,155,432 times
Depends on who's doing it. Some hot Italian or Irish(or a mix) guy leaning up against a building/car smokin, I'm sorry but that's sexy and cool. Me smoking? It doesn't look cool (to my knowledge) but it sure as hell makes me feel better.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:42 PM

31,313 posts, read 20,964,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
What percentage of those who are around second hand smoke contract asthma. What's the average for the population?
Second hand smoke is totally harmless for 99.9% of the population.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:57 PM

488 posts, read 416,145 times
Is being a titmouse with no spine significant only as a paranoid whiner with assertion issues cool? Hot? Tepid?

Is it cool to go around demanding prohibitions like some entitled corporatist of Morality, Inc?

Old 10-28-2012, 09:59 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,183,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Look at an image of someone with lung cancer. Still cool?
Not just lung cancer...throat cancer, heart attacks, & strokes too.

Smoking also stains your teeth, stinks, harms your immune system, & makes your voice raspy over time.

Its cool to be a social smoker when you drink or what ever, but letting it take over your life is just stupid.

Old 10-29-2012, 06:43 PM

8,145 posts, read 10,790,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Its cool to be a social smoker when you drink or what ever, but letting it take over your life is just stupid.

I guess if it was just kept to this, it wouldn't be so deadly, right? I mean, eating a candy bar or drinking a glass of wine on occasion is not going to have devastating consequences. But having to take a "break" every 30 minutes or so to eat a candy bar or drink a glass of wine is probably going to cause you problems, right?.

I was a smoker for 18 years, I get it. It is relaxing to smoke, it is even fun to smoke. It goes great with a cup of coffee or a beer, something people who have never smoked don't understand. And, it's not easy to quit, but no way is it impossible.

I quit when I saw what a slow, painful, horrible death my 38 year old cousin endured from lung cancer because he refused to even try to give them up. I saw the pain it cause his two young sons. It was one of those sons that found him dead. I realized then it was the same as playing Russian Roulette - you've got to have a death wish to continue. I don't mind dying, but I decided I didn't want to go out of here gasping for breath, coughing up bits of my own tissue, and knowing all along I did it to myself.

I still carry the extra 20 pounds I gained after I quit, but never any regrets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies