Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2013, 07:40 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,809,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
And you are sure it was not self defense? I don't know, you don't know and this will be up to a jury to decide, wouldn't you agree? and wasn't it Zimmerman's job to protect the neighborhood?
And wasn't he told by the police to back off? Had he kept a healthy distance from Trayvon rather than close the gap to get close enough for a confrontation maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't be on trial for murder and there wouldn't be a dead person.

Volunteering to be a part of a community watch group means watching the community, they are not self-appointed police. His "job" was to be aware of what is going on in the community and if there is something suspicious REPORT it to the police. He did report it to the police, and against the instructions given to him by the police, he took it a step further and pursued Trayvon.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:43 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,508,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
And wasn't he told by the police to back off? Had he kept a healthy distance from Trayvon rather than close the gap to get close enough for a confrontation maybe, just maybe, he wouldn't be on trial for murder and there wouldn't be a dead person.

Volunteering to be a part of a community watch group means watching the community, they are not self-appointed police. His "job" was to be aware of what is going on in the community and if there is something suspicious REPORT it to the police. He did report it to the police, and against the instructions given to him by the police, he took it a step further and pursued Trayvon.
Nope, he was not told by police to do anything.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:41 AM

22,718 posts, read 24,814,493 times
Logic and facts dictate that The Z-man will walk.

But I am sypathetic...I cry my eyes out, JUSTICE for The Skittlesbandit...NO JUSTICE = NO PEACE

Old 02-01-2013, 09:45 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,303,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Nope, he was not told by police to do anything.
Aw, yes......that rather vague directive from the dispatcher when Zimmerman told him he was following Trayvon: "We don't want you to do that."

Now, I think to most people, "We don't want you to do that" would be interpreted to mean: "Don't follow him."

However, if you are an armed wannabe vigilante who doesn't want to let another "a**shole get away," you interpret that to mean: "Well, golly, we would kind of prefer it if you didn't follow him, but, hey! a guy's gotta' do what a guy's gotta' do!"

And now we have all these Zimmerman supporters (probably 99% gun-toting wannabe vigilantes themselves) claiming that Zimmerman was not told to not follow Trayvon. Pathetic.

I've often wondered if that dispatcher has ever regretted using such a poor choice of words, that maybe if he had given a direct order of "do not follow!" that maybe a teenage boy would still be alive, Zimmerman wouldn't be on trial, and the lawyers wouldn't be soliciting money on the internet to keep Zimmerman well-fed and comfortable to the tune of $6,000.00 a month.

Or maybe Zimmerman would have still followed Trayvon and the results would have been the same.

I just hope Zimmerman doesn't walk based on those seven little words the dispatcher used. I hope that a jury will see those words for the intent in which they were meant and not twist them like the Zimmerman huggers have tried to do.

Last edited by Cinebar; 02-01-2013 at 09:54 AM..

Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM

11,184 posts, read 6,549,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
Hate crime, what hate crime? Against Trayvon maybe, but that would be pointless.
The FBI is or was investigating bringing hate crime charges against gz for racially profiling, stalking, and killing tm. I don't know the status of the investigation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until after the trial and if he's amazingly acquitted, arrest gz as he's leaving the courtroom.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,303,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
The FBI is or was investigating bringing hate crime charges against gz for racially profiling, stalking, and killing tm. I don't know the status of the investigation, but I wouldn't be surprised if they wait until after the trial and if he's amazingly acquitted, arrest gz as he's leaving the courtroom.
Link?

Old 02-01-2013, 10:00 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,736,463 times
I could swear I heard quite some time back that it was determined there was NO EVIDENCE of a hate crime and that the investigation was over.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:01 AM

1,596 posts, read 1,163,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I could swear I heard quite some time back that it was determined there was NO EVIDENCE of a hate crime and that the investigation was over.
That was then, then's not now.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:18 AM

79,334 posts, read 61,459,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
Yeah, like OJ retired as a millionaire and had a civil case brought against him.
Yeah, like Casey Anthony retired as a millionaire and has a civil case brought against her.

I....................don't........................ .think..............................so!!!!!
I've noted repeatedly that the SYG bars civil suits unless he is found criminally liable.

While there is no way in hell Zimmerman would win a civil suit, if he is found not guilty then the poster saying he may get millions is probably right because unlike OJ etc. he cannot be sued.

The US news media sucks and have made some very sueable offenses in their mass of media coverage. Doesn't make Zim a good guy or anything, just sloppy or unethical journalism work in some places.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:24 AM

79,334 posts, read 61,459,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Don't forget the feds still have the hate crime investigation against gz. So even if he amazingly isn't convicted, the feds will be waiting for him outside the courtroom.
If you think zimmerman evading conviction would be amazing, you haven't been following the SYG laws around the country. These are some REALLY bad, poorly worded laws. Without those laws then it would be a much bleaker scenario for Zimmerman.

There are MUCH more egregious cases than Trayvons death that were never even PROSECUTED....scary but true.

If you doubt this, then google Daniel Adkins. His killer never was charged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.