Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 09:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,116,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
When doping is so incredibly prevalent in the sport to that point where you can't possibly win without it, then it becomes not the athletes who are at fault but the regulatory organization's fault for allowing it to go on as much as it was.
The attempt to make the grand tours drug free has been a legalistic climb comparable to topping the alp d'huez. Doping has been apart of the Tour since its inception when riders used strychnine, amphetamines and cocaine (just to name a few). In 1930 Tour organizers had to remind riders that the Tour would not reimburse riders for their drug expenditures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 10:20 PM

741 posts, read 1,681,740 times
I feel sympathy for Lance too.. I don't even believe that he is guilty, no matter how many people say that he is.. There was no PROOF..

Old 10-20-2012, 10:27 PM

90,296 posts, read 120,975,122 times
^^Just 26 or so eyewitnesses! There is none so blind as he who will not see!

Old 10-21-2012, 07:13 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,806,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciaMomof6 View Post
I feel sympathy for Lance too.. I don't even believe that he is guilty, no matter how many people say that he is.. There was no PROOF..
see how clueless people are? lance used and so did everyone he competed against.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:18 AM

4,423 posts, read 7,381,539 times
Nothing is real anymore. Doping, steroids, even golf clubs have gotten so big you can't miss the ball. That said, I'm disgusted with Lance and what he did to his body especially since he's a cancer survivor. I think he should back away from Livestrong and let others continue the good work.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:20 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,359,505 times
Assuming for the moment that the accusations are true (and I'm inclined to believe they are), I'm not gonna shed a tear for the guy. The "everyone else is/was doing it" defense is a playground retort not worthy of an adult with integrity. If you're required to cheat to be competitive, then the proper thing to do is walk away and find another outlet for your energies.

And yet there's a certain irony of having his medals and TdF wins stripped and awarded to other people who were almost certainly dopers too.

Last edited by Drover; 10-21-2012 at 08:49 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 07:24 AM

15,884 posts, read 21,493,253 times
I am really split. Cycling is a dirty sport - you don't even qualify for the Tour if you don't juice if reports are correct. On the other, how can you present yourself as a winner if you're cheating?

My big concern is Livestrong. They are the only major cancer organization that was able to offer substantive help during my battle. In particular, there is a definite skew within their services toward young adults. Many people I know were able to afford emergency fertility measures upon diagnosis thanks to the services that Livestrong provides. Lance's downfall reflects very poorly on an amazing organization - and my real fear is that it will cause donations and grants to dry up, negatively impacting future support-seekers.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:43 AM

13,716 posts, read 9,044,544 times
For the past several years, while driving to work in the early morning, I frequently would have to exercise caution on the narrow roads due to a local group of youngish men (mainly early to mid thirties) riding their racing bikes.

This group of about 10 or 12 men took their biking seriously: they each wore the attire worn by Mr. Armstrong and other biking professionals, complete with artificial sponsor badges on their clothes and helmets.

I was reminded of the aftermath of the original movie "Rocky". When that movie came out, jogging became a real fad. Thus with Mr. Armstrong's success, you had men dressing up like Mr. Armstrong and buying expensive bikes.

I have not seen this group for at least two weeks. It would be a shame if they disbanded due to the disgrace of Mr. Armstrong, since they obviously enjoyed riding together, and it is good exercise. Hopefully, some other sports idol will come along that these young men can emulate, such as table tennis or such.

As to Mr. Armstrong: if he feels that he is being unfairly harmed by that sports authority, he should sue for libel and slander. Indeed, I guess he would need to sue his teammates. Perhaps even Ms. Sheryl Crow, since she has money.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:21 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,806,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Assuming for the moment that the accusations are true (and I'm inclined to believe they are), I'm not gonna shed a tear for the guy. The "everyone else is/was doing it" defense is a playground retort not worthy of an adult with integrity. If you're required to cheat to be competitive, then the proper thing to do is walk away and find another outlet for your energies.

And yet there's a certain irony of having his medals and TdF wins stripped and awarded to other people who were almost certainly dopers too.

cheat???? its just a job. its not about cheating to win a game, its about getting a high paying job. there is no cheating. maybe to the millions of screaming fools its some kind of game of sport where "sportsmanship" has some kind of childish goofy meaning. something so unimportant as guys throwing a ball through a hoop or riding a bike faster than another person. these are just the job requirements and if you want that high paying job, you do what it takes.

besides, im not sure how you can call it "cheating" if all of them are doing it anyway. its a job requirement.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:04 PM

14,767 posts, read 17,143,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
cheat???? its just a job. its not about cheating to win a game, its about getting a high paying job. there is no cheating. maybe to the millions of screaming fools its some kind of game of sport where "sportsmanship" has some kind of childish goofy meaning. something so unimportant as guys throwing a ball through a hoop or riding a bike faster than another person. these are just the job requirements and if you want that high paying job, you do what it takes.

besides, im not sure how you can call it "cheating" if all of them are doing it anyway. its a job requirement.
again, no.
He is a professional rider, who is required to adhere to the UCI rules, which are part of WADA.

He broke those rules. Therefore, he cheated.

Its a job of a different nature. He told the world that he did it cleanly, he is a liar and a cheat.

They're not all cheating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies