Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:31 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,667,069 times

Advertisements

Does that make OK to display the flag?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 07:39 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,480,601 times
As a historical artifact, no, I won't fault a school for doing it--especially if they couch it with other historical artifacts.

That said, I would never do it myself. I hate the flag personally, and don't need the controversy from parents.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post

Yes. Like it or not, (and we may not necessarily be proud of that part of our history with slavery and all) it is a part of our history.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:52 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,167,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Sad. It's not even the Confederate Flag, it's either the battle flag of the Army of Tennessee, or The Second Confederate Navy Jack, used during 1863–1865.

If this woman is going to kvetch about something, she should at least find out what she is kvetching about.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:32 AM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
History is history. If you are going to be factual about it (instead of taking a revisionist approach), then the bad has to be displayed with the good. This includes showing the brutality of both sides, the brutality against Native Americans, and even the flags before the war for our independence. To not show any flag of the Confederacy is to hide and not seek to educate the student. Besides, if you are offended by any Confederate flag- then you must really hate our present flag. Slavery existed much longer under its banner than any Confederate flag. Also, the Confederate flag didn't oppress the Native American's. Am I advocating the hate for our flag? Absolutely not. It ticks me off when people mistreat our flag. Just sayin' . . . there is a standard that we apply to other flags that we don't do to our own. Respect the flags (even if you disagree with it) as you would have your flag respected.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:35 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,987,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
History is history. If you are going to be factual about it (instead of taking a revisionist approach), then the bad has to be displayed with the good. This includes showing the brutality of both sides, the brutality against Native Americans, and even the flags before the war for our independence. To not show any flag of the Confederacy is to hide and not seek to educate the student. Besides, if you are offended by any Confederate flag- then you must really hate our present flag. Slavery existed much longer under its banner than any Confederate flag. Also, the Confederate flag didn't oppress the Native American's. Am I advocating the hate for our flag? Absolutely not. It ticks me off when people mistreat our flag. Just sayin' . . . there is a standard that we apply to other flags that we don't do to our own. Respect the flags (even if you disagree with it) as you would have your flag respected.

I agree 1,000 percent! To add, if we don't learn from our history, how are we supposed to move forward as a country? I'm not saying dwell on it, as some like to do here, but it is important to learn from our past mistakes, or we're doomed to repeat them. There is a lot of truth to the phrase "history repeats itself."

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,953,123 times
Of course it should be displayed in a historic setting. It is a part of United States history. Whether you like it or not is beside the point. Many things have happened in history that we do not like but that does not change the fact that it happened.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:45 AM

538 posts, read 1,012,469 times
People are going to be offended just to be offended.

Display the flag.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:53 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,936 times
I must say I think reverence for the "Confederate flag" is one of the dumbest things in existence. Not because I associate it with racism; just because there is practically nothing to be proud of concerning the South, especially in regards to its history.

That being said, since I don't consider it be a racist symbol, I see no problem with letting a school put it on display.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
History is history. In that context, I have no problem with the display.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies