Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM

4,301 posts, read 4,414,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
I must say I think reverence for the "Confederate flag" is one of the dumbest things in existence. Not because I associate it with racism; just because there is practically nothing to be proud of concerning the South, especially in regards to its history.

That being said, since I don't consider it be a racist symbol, I see no problem with letting a school put it on display.
No one is saying that it should be revered. Just respected within a historical setting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2012, 08:57 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,397,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
No one is saying that it should be revered. Just respected within a historical setting.
Yes. That's why I said "Let the school display it", after saying that respecting the flag in other ways is just dumb.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Yes. That's why I said "Let the school display it", after saying that respecting the flag in other ways is just dumb.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 AM

Seems we all agree on this. But I'm seeing a lot of "in that setting/context" posts; I wonder if anyone would oppose if the school displayed just the Confederate flag? Their intentions might be questionable, to say the least, eh?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:27 AM

I can't speak for others, but there should only EVER be two flags displayed permanently - the US and their state's flag. Historical flags have no place. My fav is the Gadsden Flag (Don't Tread on Me) from the Revolutionary War, but that has no place outside of it's historical setting. No foreign nation's flags should be flown and that includes those that were contested and brief (like the Confederacy).

Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,004,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
I can't speak for others, but there should only EVER be two flags displayed permanently - the US and their state's flag. Historical flags have no place. My fav is the Gadsden Flag (Don't Tread on Me) from the Revolutionary War, but that has no place outside of it's historical setting. No foreign nation's flags should be flown and that includes those that were contested and brief (like the Confederacy).

Old 10-19-2012, 09:28 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,294,841 times
Quote:
Seems we all agree on this. But I'm seeing a lot of "in that setting/context" posts; I wonder if anyone would oppose if the school displayed just the Confederate flag? Their intentions might be questionable, to say the least, eh?
Correct. The flag displayed as part of a history display or lesson is fine, otherwise, no. Not appropriate.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:02 AM

10,190 posts, read 7,965,958 times
Quote:

There is no reason for a school to display a Confederate flag other than in a historical setting.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:05 AM

7,816 posts, read 6,402,815 times
It should be displayed freely, history lesson or not.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Correct. The flag displayed as part of a history display or lesson is fine, otherwise, no. Not appropriate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
There is no reason for a school to display a Confederate flag other than in a historical setting.
Personally, I agree. But would legislation against this be justified if a school did it anyway? In your opinions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies