Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Could you forgive a pedophile?
Yes 76 24.28%
No 237 75.72%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:56 AM

1,738 posts, read 2,092,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smittyjohnny38 View Post
Whoever would forgive an individual who hurts a child in this manner is a disgrace. My guess is they would probably forgive these animals from afar as long as it wasnt their child. I cant imagine anybody who would forever forgive an animal that did this to one of their own. Children are precious! The reason the world is screwed up is because children are neglected and abused. Then these children grow up and do the same to their offspring. If I ever saw anybody hurt a child in this manner I would have no problem seriously maiming that sick individual!
UMMMM.... did you read my first post on this subject? I WAS molested and I forgave my molester
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I think so much hysteria has come into the issue. And the government responds with illogical solutions. It seems Amerit***s are driven by emotion, little logic is involved. And it is hypocritical.....a grown woman "Dates" a 15 year old young man and there is no calls for castration or slaughter........even jokes about the relationship.

So in my opinion, the definition should be changed and Amerit***s should calm down. People consider a 30 year old guy having a relationship with a 15 year old girl Pedophila......it is not.....look up the definition.

IMHO much of the rest of the world is more grown up than the USA when it comes to sex. I think 13 is a reasonable age where a young adult can make decisions about whom they want to be with.

As for anyone having sex with prepubescents......very harsh punishment is merited. But when they do their time, they should be treated like humans.
I agree with most of what you say, other than that 13 age...a 13 yr old can't even work yet, and is still very much a kid.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:07 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,458,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
You are more concerned about the attitude towards child molesters/abusers than you are about the act of child abuse/child sexual molestation?

Really?
Sorry, I didn't phrase that very well. I meant I find the fact that there's like a witch-hunt for pedophiles, and that people are so easily convicted, also those shows like 'to catch a predator' more disturbing than people's inability to forgive. There's a place for righteous anger, but when people talk about hanging drawing and quartering pedophiles it sort of makes me cynical about the human race. Now I'm certainly NOT excusing them, but some of these pedophiles might've been abused themselves. Automatically making them monsters might not be the best way to tackle this. I'm all for totally preventing them from even having the opportunity to harm kids, but sometimes hysteria and anger can get out of control and innocent people get caught up in it. Again one only has to look back to the anti-reds scare or the witch hunts.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:11 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,550,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Eighteen seems rather high. I've heard that males really don't gain a lot of their emotional understanding of long term consequences till their early twenties, but moving the age of consent to twenty would be a joke. I'm betting that, if a thirty year old heterosexual male was given the opportunity for no-strings-attached sex with a seventeen year old female in states where the legal age is eighteen, quite a few would take up that offer. I'd be okay with sixteen, or maybe fifteen with an age gap provision where it's legal if they're within a certain age of one another. I like age gap provisions, because it just doesn't sound right for someone to hit a birthday and suddenly go to jail for sleeping with his girlfriend, which he'd been doing for months beforehand.
Interesting point, except that those situations can only arise when there is an age gap provision in the law to begin with. In my state, nobody can have sex with a person under 16. Two 15-year-olds having sex are each guilty of 3rd degree rape of the other. Two 12-year-olds having sex are each guilty of 1st degree rape of the other. So that specific problem doesn't exist here, although there are all sorts of other ones...

Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,550,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faeryedark View Post
I agree with most of what you say, other than that 13 age...a 13 yr old can't even work yet, and is still very much a kid.
13 is the age of consent in Spain. It was 12 there until 1996, and was 14 in Canada until 2008.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:14 AM

25,944 posts, read 16,711,254 times
Forgive? Maybe based on the circumstances.

But if it's a bonafide pedophile that lusts after children--I would say they are never worthy of trust ever again. I don't care how many alphabet soup PHD's say they are cured.

Old 09-24-2012, 07:47 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,397,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Interesting point, except that those situations can only arise when there is an age gap provision in the law to begin with. In my state, nobody can have sex with a person under 16. Two 15-year-olds having sex are each guilty of 3rd degree rape of the other. Two 12-year-olds having sex are each guilty of 1st degree rape of the other. So that specific problem doesn't exist here, although there are all sorts of other ones...
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of laws that seek to protect people from themselves by threatening punishment towards the persons their purpose is to protect.

Last edited by Clintone; 09-24-2012 at 08:19 AM..

Old 09-24-2012, 07:53 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,924,514 times
Yes I would. I was also abused as a child by a step-parent and I did forgive him. For me, forgiveness was a selfish act, as I needed to forgive (not forget) to move on with my life and stop torturing myself with the "what if's" of my life, like what would my life had been if that had not happened and what would I be like, would I be a better person, etc.

It was not easy to forgive but I did. In general, I feel that pedophiles - especially predators should continue to be treated with as much disdain as murders and rapist because in a way, they do both of these things to a child, depending on the severity of abuse.

But even though I am not religious, that experience taught me that I am capable of forgiveness in any circumstances. Once I put my mind into forgiving, and focusing on that in order to move on with my life, I will forgive.

For those of you who cannot, that is too bad. Forgiveness, does not equal trusting that individual around children. My own abuser was never prosecuted even though the authorities were called. Back then, people didn't want to speak about things like that, but I let everyone know in my hometown what that person did to me and I also attempted to prosecute him even after forgiving him because I felt he needed to be punished, but the statute of limitations had passed since it happened when I was a child and I didn't think about pressing charges until I was 20 years old (it occurred between 8-10 years old and I was told the statute was 7 years so I was a few years too late). I think they should be adequately punished and predator's and child rapist should spend the majority if not all of their lives in prison.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM

13 posts, read 16,903 times
I realize many people are disgusted by the very existence of men attracted to children, and so I'd ask you to think about whether you want to read this or not. No child is in any danger from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Since you are here, what exactly is it that attracts you to children?
I am attracted only to females, ranging from age 3 up through young women, but the attraction to the young girls is much stronger. Everyone knows the many ways that young girls at their best are appealing, and those are the same things that attract me. My reaction extends easily to a romantic component (unconditional positive regard), and -- only in my imagination -- to a sexual one. I do not fantasize about raping young girls, a disgusting image that commonly comes to mind. I imagine girls who are enthusiastic -- and I know well that that aspect is only fantasy. Even if I met a girl who seemed truly enthusiastic, I would never do anything with her for fear of her being severely harmed later. (I often become enraged thinking about men who somehow convince themselves it's really OK and abuse a girl.)

To make an analogy, many men are attracted to Angelina Jolie, and few people would think it especially evil if they fantasized about sex with her. But the chances that Angelina Jolie would want to have sex with any given man are very, very small. So are they fantasizing about raping her? No. She's transformed in their fantasies.

For those of you who are straight (not bi), do you really understand what it feels like to be attracted to someone of your gender? We're used to it, we accept it (and count on it), but do we really understand what it feels like?

Quote:
Do you have a type so to speak, like the way I am mostly attracted to dark women.
I tend to be most attracted to Caucasians with pretty faces who are happy, confident, and affectionate. Physical and personality are both important.

Quote:
Did anything out of the ordinary happen while you were growing up?
Not that I know of. These things are kind of a mystery. That's why you can't assume your son won't be a pedophile just because you did everything right raising him.

Quote:
Are you in a normal relationship as well, married?
I was married, raised 3 daughters (who I was never attracted to that way, some kind of anti-incest thing), got divorced for reasons having nothing to do with pedophilia, and have been involved for some years with a woman my age who freely admits to having a somewhat child-like personality. Now that I'm no longer parenting young children, I tend to avoid them, so as not to invite suspicion.

A somewhat longer bio of me is the Ethan Edwards tab here:
Virtuous Pedophiles - Who We Are

Ethan

Old 09-24-2012, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
13 is the age of consent in Spain. It was 12 there until 1996, and was 14 in Canada until 2008.
Yeah, well ... I have a personal experience with a 13 year who was molested by a 23 yr old family member (by marriage) she thought she was "in love" he was/is a player who manipulates.
My problems (other than the whole older and thus able to manipulate easier thing)
Is that a 13 yr old is still a child...doesn't reason well, can't work legally, can't drive..and if she gets pregnant (or if it'a boy gets someone pregnant) is not equipped to be a parent whether it's emotionally, financially, education-wise etc.
Nor, can they be counted on to use protection from pregnancy or disease...heck, a lot of adults can't...add to it, the "it's not gonna happen to "ME" attitude many teens have.

Now, in our personal experience, the whole she was "in love" thing...ended up with a slap on the wrist for him...but oh so much more pain and such for us...because she got herself in to trouble at school (therapy didn't help, cos we tried)
And later she made false accusations of sexual abuse against her dad...goaded on by "lover boy's" Aunt. (Her Aunt-in-law) After a trial and hung-jury and seeing what kind of antics the DA was willing to pull, my loved one took a plea to a lesser charge (something he still didn't do) rather than possibly get put away for 20+ years, and lose time with his family.
His daughter later admitted she lied, but it was too late and nobody will do anything.
She is now 19, pregnant, boyfriend left her, no job, a drop out, no driver's license

I want to add, that she still seeks after the same kind of guy, that the 23 yr old was..a "player" type
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies