Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:22 PM

990 posts, read 945,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everest209 View Post
I'm in my 20's, and have only followed politics closely for the past few years. This really seems like a no-win situation no matter if you got Obama or Romney. I don't have the historical prospective of what the choices were like years ago or more even more recently with a race like Gore vs Bush, was that race as ridiculously stupid as this one? So, i'm just looking for some input, have all campaigns been this frustrating, or does this one go above and beyond?
Kerry v Bush. 2004
(not to mention the sleazy John Edwards v the evil Dick Cheney)
South Park lampooned that election perfectly:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5gXRPXs0PQ

Bush had already proven that he was an idiot and had already made a ton of mistakes as president. The country had been attacked and then we launched multiple wars which were clearly stupid wars. Kerry was the best the Democrats could muster and he was a pathetic candidate. The VPs were probably the two most morally corrupt VP candidates in history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2012, 12:44 PM

25,903 posts, read 20,885,728 times
Quote:
I'm in my 20's, and have only followed politics closely for the past few years. This really seems like a no-win situation no matter if you got Obama or Romney. I don't have the historical prospective of what the choices were like years ago or more even more recently with a race like Gore vs Bush, was that race as ridiculously stupid as this one? So, i'm just looking for some input, have all campaigns been this frustrating, or does this one go above and beyond?
Worst choice in my lifetime?
Absolutely not.

Most recently, I think that Bush v. Kerry was worse.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Status: "Democracies tend to decline into despotism. (Aristotle)" (set 15 days ago)

16,233 posts, read 11,473,903 times
The worst, by far, was Lyndon Johnson -- "two-faced" dolesn't provide enough "faces" to describe the man's insincerity. Promised everything to everyone in his coalition, couldn't raise the revenue to pay for it, so began "monetizing" the debt by running the printing press, thereby triggering inflation which did not subside until Ronald Reagan took office.

We're in for more of the same if Obama is re-elected.

Old 09-11-2012, 01:14 PM

37,885 posts, read 41,346,052 times
McCain/Obama 2008

Two Senators, neither one with executive experience at a time when dealing with budget and debt issues, employment issues and crisis management was highly desirable experience for the job of President.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:14 PM

16,828 posts, read 15,292,815 times
Quote:

in order:

obama
carter
bush gw
bush the 1st

Old 09-11-2012, 03:20 PM

26,210 posts, read 19,673,874 times
Bush/Kerry in 2004.

I was so pissed the Democrats nominated someone so unlikeable in a time of war to run against the idiot frat boy from Texas.

Two seriously bad choices, although one really did not compare to the other in terms of how bad they were.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:21 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,904,001 times
Being in Canada and watching American elections for a while- being 62 years old...I would say it is like going shopping and all the food is past the expiry date...There really isn't a choice- The best you can do is bring the food home- wash it- cut out the rotten parts and make due...you don't have a choice...what do you have? One honest old man that no one wants...One rich pretty boy- and a guy who got in cos' he has a nice voice and was black...and now he wants back in cos he has had a taste of the addictive potion called power

It's as if all these candidates where made in China and you were buying them at Walmart...Poor old Ron Paul- He probably is your best bet but the nature of America in general is dishonest and superficial these days and no one wants him...He just won't fit in_Instead like dumb woman in a bar- You are going to go home with the cute liar instead of the good potential husband.

Old 09-11-2012, 03:28 PM

4,255 posts, read 3,499,474 times
I voted for bill clinton in 96. He was the last person I voted for , instead of against.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:36 PM

11,765 posts, read 14,771,594 times
If I'm understanding the question it is trying to get at what presidential election presented the worst choice between the two candidates.

According to those terms, I would have to say it was 1980.

On the Democratic side we had a conservative who had initiated a policy of capital punishment for pot smokers (paraquat) and had continued the policy of coddling dictators like Pahlavi while attacking the fundamental values that had been embodied in strong liberal social legislation.

On the Republican side we had an undereducated moron who started his campaign with an openly racist appeal to southern white voters, carried it on with racially based attacks on public assistance recipients, and gave voice to the vicious, meanspirited views of the worst type of sorehead. In addition, if we could have seen into the future we would have been able to foresee his fondness for right-wing dictators and what was probably the worst part of his legacy, his ability to convince the American people that they could have everything they want from government without paying for it.

I hated to vote for Carter, but I literally had no choice. As bad as he was, we would be far better off as a country if he had been reelected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies