Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 12:08 PM

17,089 posts, read 12,757,782 times

Advertisements

>Well, ~50% don't pay taxes<

That is a lie. ~50% dont pay federal income taxes. ~17% pay no federal taxes. State taxes start MUCH lower on the income scale and vary WILDLY from state to state.

Misconceptions and Realities About Who Pays Taxes &mdash; Center on Budget and Policy Priorities

Funny how payroll taxes never seem to count. I know people working crappy jobs who WILL LINE UP to trade situations with the whiners. They will just have to tough it out having to pay too much federal income tax. The whiners will be relieved of such problems. They can worry about how to pay the rent, pay to see the doctor, how they have to pay more for most types of insurance regarless of their person record and experience rate...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM

53,607 posts, read 35,574,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Food-Stamp Use Climbed To Record 46.7 Million In June, U.S. Says"

I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED I SAY!

Who would think that a record number of people would be on food stamps in a period of high unemployment, underemployment, and declining wages?

It is truly amazing how that could an increase in food stamp recipients could rise under such conditions?
four more years!

Old 09-04-2012, 12:11 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,961,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
"Food-Stamp Use Climbed To Record 46.7 Million In June, U.S. Says"

I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED I SAY!

Who would think that a record number of people would be on food stamps in a period of high unemployment, underemployment, and declining wages?

It is truly amazing how that could an increase in food stamp recipients could rise under such conditions?
GOP response: Let them eat cake.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:13 PM

3,345 posts, read 3,096,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
GOP response: Let them eat cake.
Yeah, only until the authoritarian Democrats try to ban cake because it has sugar in it.....

Old 09-04-2012, 12:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 85,074,640 times
High unemployment ? No way. 8.3% is just 3% above "normal" unemployment. Somehow that mere 3% is creating record numbers ? I don't think so.....

Now shadowstats says unemployment is 22% which is more indicative of what you see around you.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:27 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,748,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamellr View Post
Paying for food stamps is cheaper then paying for the Police State and increased Prison System you'd need to keep them from stealing everything that isn't nailed down if the food stamp program was lost.

People need to eat, and punishing everyone because of an erroneous perception that everyone on food stamps/welfare is "lazy," will only lead to much larger problems.
While I agree that there is a population of American citizens that actually receive and utilize the food stamps properly, there is a very large population of recipients who IMHO should not qualify for them. There are millions of illegal aliens crossing the border to give birth to anchor babies and citizens that abuse them and sell them to meet other "needs" that they find more important than purchasing food.

I have raised a child on my own and worked all of my life (began at the ripe old age of 15) and never received ny government assistancedespite paying taxes my entire life. I have found that if you never work and start milking the system from the beginning "they" have no problem "assisting" you for your entire life. Those of us who have worked all of our lives and may hit a rough patch are immediately denied in order to discourage us from even attempting to receive any form of assistance.

With 23 million unemployed Americans it will soon reach the point that the foodstamp and welfare recipients will outnumber the tax payers. If the recession continues to deepen, I can't help but wonder who will foot the astronomical price tag of these programs and when will they realize that this insanity need to end?

Old 09-04-2012, 12:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,987,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
but you must remember not to refer to 'o' as the food stamp president. that would be 'racist.'

or so the o-bots tell me.
Who knows, Obama may catch up to GW in adding people to the food stamp rolls, errr, naw the rate of growth is slower and thus not likely to catch up to Dubya, alas.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:39 PM

53,607 posts, read 35,574,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Who knows, Obama may catch up to GW in adding people to the food stamp rolls, errr, naw the rate of growth is slower and thus not likely to catch up to Dubya, alas.
mission accomplished, and then some.

obama left GW in the dust on this one years ago

Old 09-04-2012, 01:53 PM

25,231 posts, read 17,082,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
mission accomplished, and then some.

obama left GW in the dust on this one years ago

Oh, the Repubs left something alright, and it is still stinking up the place

Old 09-04-2012, 02:21 PM

31,313 posts, read 20,938,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Buzzcut View Post
Heck the railroad bums would ride the boxcars and collect in six different states and stay drunk back when they were paper stamps... an awful lot of them weren't even used for food and no one was complaining back then.

Yes they were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies