Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2012, 11:36 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,155,198 times

Advertisements

Heck the railroad bums would ride the boxcars and collect in six different states and stay drunk back when they were paper stamps... an awful lot of them weren't even used for food and no one was complaining back then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM

3,345 posts, read 3,090,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Even working 8 a hour you still need food stamps, we can debate Medicaid since I believe only the truly needy need that but food stamps is a must for people living in hard times.... Food stamp fraud had to stop.

And what poor person can just move away and move to a cheaper town? Your broke remember.

Like I said some unemployment benefits pay more than minimum wage jobs.
Why can't someone do something to better themselves? Trade program, college etc.

In past generations people did something about it instead of making excuses.....

Old 09-04-2012, 11:38 AM

25,231 posts, read 17,040,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post

Yep. Things are going great. Let's give him 4 more years and see if we can get that number higher before the 2016 election.
And he will get it, enjoy.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:41 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,098,327 times
I am mixed in my position. I am in favor of keeping people fed and supporting family farms but opposed to Big Ag subsides. I am completely opposed to the Gasohol scam.

I am well aware that food is grown all over the country but the majority of our grain and animal feed is grown in the RED state midwest.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:46 AM

1,710 posts, read 3,155,198 times
I wish Ron Raygun was still around, in his days you could get a big 5 pound brick of government cheese in addition to your stamps.....great tasting stuff too.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,512,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
There's no relationship between poverty and crime. Nice attempt at spreading fear though.

Crime is easy to handle anyway. There's nothing in the US Constitution or its Amendments that states that citizenship is permanent, or that it cannot be revoked.

People wanna commit crimes, fine, just revoke their citizenship and deport them.

Uh, then people can cancel their cable/satellite/cell-phone/internet and use the money to buy food, right?
Oh, I'm sorry. I thought we were having a rational discussion here.

Old 09-04-2012, 11:50 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,132,512 times
Quote:
There's no relationship between poverty and crime. Nice attempt at spreading fear though.

Crime is easy to handle anyway. There's nothing in the US Constitution or its Amendments that states that citizenship is permanent, or that it cannot be revoked.

People wanna commit crimes, fine, just revoke their citizenship and deport them.

Uh, then people can cancel their cable/satellite/cell-phone/internet and use the money to buy food, right?

You're going to have "much larger problems" whether you like it or not.

You're going to have college graduates living in multi-generational households with mummy and daddy and grandpa and grandma for decades to come.

And then working people sharing apartments and rental homes with total strangers...in order to make ends meet.

And then here's some single 18-year old high school drop out kid with 2 or 3 kids of her own living in her own personal private residence paid for by the tax payers -- the very same college graduates who are working minimum wage jobs.

People aren't blind you know. They'll start saying, "Hey, wait a minute, I stayed in school, went to college, did everything society expects me to do, and I'm working a minimum wage job and can't afford to live by myself, but someone who told society to go to hell gets an apartment for free."

What's wrong with that picture?

Portending...

Mircea
If someone is born here, where do you deport them to?

Old 09-04-2012, 11:58 AM

1,102 posts, read 1,161,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A&M_Indie_08 View Post
Why can't someone do something to better themselves? Trade program, college etc.

In past generations people did something about it instead of making excuses.....
Just what I was thinking....Grant you there are more people and maybe less jobs....but....in the past when one could not find a job in their field they either relocated to where work was more abundant or worked multiple jobs...I know I have in the past....

I know this is about food stamps....and I think sometimes they are necessary....but they should primarily be reserved for people who can not work....or as a supplement for those who are working and still do not have enough money for food...

Old 09-04-2012, 11:59 AM

8,732 posts, read 6,816,056 times
Quote:
Households. 46.7 Million households.

People do not receive Food Stamps. They are issued solely to qualifying head of household.

You forgot to mention the part about there being about 110 Million households, and 46.7 Million receive Food Stamp benefits while 99 Million have cable/satellite.

So, for all you working tax-paying Americans, how do you feel about the fact that you are paying the cable/satellite/internet bills for 46.7 Million households?

Well, ~50% don't pay taxes, so why should they lower themselves to pay their cable/satellite/internet bill?

You might as well pay their rent for them too. Oh, wait, you're already doing that.

Amused...

Mircea
Qualifying head of household includes their dependents. There are also families where the head of household works but because of their level of income they may also qualify for food stamps.

I think the increase may be have been helped by Obama when he was going on Spanish-speaking shows and fliers being distributed where he was promoting/encouraging people to get on food stamps because he was concerned about them having a good "healthy food plan".

Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 PM

31,384 posts, read 37,251,991 times
"Food-Stamp Use Climbed To Record 46.7 Million In June, U.S. Says"

I AM SHOCKED, SHOCKED I SAY!

Who would think that a record number of people would be on food stamps in a period of high unemployment, underemployment, and declining wages?

It is truly amazing how that could an increase in food stamp recipients could rise under such conditions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies