Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 08:48 AM

24,813 posts, read 24,505,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I totally agree with you.

I am not in the corner of the "boycott China" group b/c it is waaaaaay past that.

I agree with you 100% and have been saying this since the early 2000s - that what has to happen is lowered wages so we can compete w/ China.

But any time I have stated this, people get mad as hell and call me names, LOL.

I try to point out - our standard of living is going to necessarily have to go down - smaller houses, less individual debt - or we are gonna sink this ship.

You are the first person I have interacted with who sees this as the rational and necessary approach to getting this country back to work over the longterm.
I don't think people have to lower their cost of living that much. But working an assembly line job at Delphi in Detroit and making the equivalent of 75 dollars an hour is asinine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 09:04 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,795,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I don't think people have to lower their cost of living that much. But working an assembly line job at Delphi in Detroit and making the equivalent of 75 dollars an hour is asinine.
I agree, but the lowered wages are going to have to be such significant cuts - it will necessarily lower the standard of living. That is a good thing, b/c so much of our "lifestyle" has been purchased on credit and that trend has to stop (folks have shown signs of curtailing that behavior on their own).

We have become very bloated w/ our "need" for bigger and better.

Until this recession, the average American traded cars every 3.5 years. In the 60s, the average family did not even OWN 2 cars and they didn't trade that often.

The average size of homes has escalated dramatically over the last 2 decades. We are already seeing a scaleback on that . . .

People are just going to have to get more realistic about lifestyle and purchasing only what they can afford, not finance.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:14 AM

340 posts, read 644,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterboy7375 View Post
Thern dont shop at walmart.
What "made in" is your computer? Toyota for example has plant in the USA and have a profit, USA car industry cannot survive if the make cars in USA??? And owners are big patriots...

Old 08-16-2012, 11:47 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,855,514 times
Another reason to boycott China is their widespread use of sex selective abortion. They kill millions of baby girls.

Old 08-16-2012, 11:53 AM

16,923 posts, read 10,681,990 times
China is just taking advantage of poor economic decisions made by the US government. Force the government to deal with the debt problem, make US manufacturing more competitive and eliminate the federal reserve system, and there will be no need to boycott china.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:01 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,944,913 times
Personally, I think foreign investment of all kinds, including from China, is a good thing. Getting worked up because a foreign movie theater chain buys a third rate US movie theater chain (or because some property developer from China actually wants to invest in Michigan) is stupid.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,944,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And we owed Japan how many TRILLIONS of dollars at that time?

Oh. We didn't.

End of your jingoism discussion.
Yes, we did. I guess you're just not old enough to remember it.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:18 PM

48,493 posts, read 97,238,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I guess people don't remember the 1980's when Japan was supposedly taking over our entire country. Jingoism is alive and well in this country I suppose.
yep and I alos remmber when japoan actual;ly restricted cars because the auto industry said that would fix their problem. It didn't and quailty went downhill sellig consumers refective cars.

Old 08-16-2012, 01:17 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,563,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonchica View Post
I'm freaked out at the thought that China may try to "colonize" the U.S. See 45 Signs That China Is Colonizing America. It's clear the government (Democrat or Republican) is going to tip toe around the issue and not do anything meaningful. It will take the American people leading a movement to boycott products made in China and pay a higher price for home-grown products for American corporations to take notice and reduce outsourcing.

Anyone willing to take this step with me?
[I know that some things will be impossible to find 100% authentically made in US like cell phones & laptops, so as a compromise, I'd rather use a competitor (even if foreign) that does not make things in China vs. American companies who manufacture in China.
I'll do it after the iPhone 5 is released.

[and buy only "Made in Taiwan" from then on]

Old 08-16-2012, 01:19 PM

8,087 posts, read 9,904,004 times
I do purchase USA-made when possible and refrain from purchasing Chicom if an alternative is available.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies