Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 07:55 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,847,004 times

Advertisements

No. Colonialism is actual demographic change of either the population or resident leadership. Economic control is not colonialism. There is another term for it....neo-xxxx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 08:14 AM

11,579 posts, read 13,957,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay F View Post
I wouldn't mind boycotting China but it's near impossible when you shop at Wal-Mart.
Dumbest Post of the Day. Be proud.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:26 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,529,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
No. Colonialism is actual demographic change of either the population or resident leadership. Economic control is not colonialism. There is another term for it....neo-xxxx
Listen . . . it doesn't make a damn what the official defnition of Colonization is.

The reality is the reality.

A rose by any other name is still a rose.

As I said, it doesn't make a damn if we have given up our Sovereign rights ON PAPER.

What China is in the process of doing is essentially a take over of our autonomy as a nation -- and what is so brilliant -- WE DID IT TO OURSELVES.

If it makes you feel secure that the USA still retains its sovereign powers, who am I to deny you that warm and fuzzy feeling?

You can call it anything you want . . . we are beholden to China - and becoming moreso every day that our debt escalates and our dependency on them for foreign goods remains.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:27 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,847,004 times
Unfortunately, here we part company. The Masses vs. the properly educated.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Unfortunately, here we part company. The Masses vs. the properly educated.
What an arrogant statement.

I plainly explained that it does not matter what you CALL IT, it is what it is.

Call it whatever you want, my friend.

Maybe you should call it what the State Department calls it - China is our Preferred Trade Partner.

They are our BFFs.

Or maybe we should call it what China calls us -- A Debtor Nation.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:37 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,308,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonchica View Post
I'm freaked out at the thought that China may try to "colonize" the U.S. See 45 Signs That China Is Colonizing America. It's clear the government (Democrat or Republican) is going to tip toe around the issue and not do anything meaningful. It will take the American people leading a movement to boycott products made in China and pay a higher price for home-grown products for American corporations to take notice and reduce outsourcing.

Anyone willing to take this step with me?
[I know that some things will be impossible to find 100% authentically made in US like cell phones & laptops, so as a compromise, I'd rather use a competitor (even if foreign) that does not make things in China vs. American companies who manufacture in China.
Sorry but the American consumer and Corporate America have formed a 30 year partnership with China that shows no signs of ending anytime soon. As long as American consumers benefit from cheaper prices and American corporations benefit from fatter profits that relationship will continue.

Buy hey, if you want a nice rant, then knock yourself out.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:38 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,406,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
What an arrogant statement.

I plainly explained that it does not matter what you CALL IT, it is what it is.

Call it whatever you want, my friend.

Maybe you should call it what the State Department calls it - China is our Preferred Trade Partner.

They are our BFFs.

Or maybe we should call it what China calls us -- A Debtor Nation.
China has a lot of consumers, and our businesses want access to those customers.

People are upset at buying Chinese goods but people like cheap toasters and crap.

The answer isn't to boycott China, its to lower wages here to allow companies to compete with China. That doesn't mean pay people a quarter a day, just enough to offset it compared to transportation costs of the Pacific ocean.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:40 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,400,602 times
I guess people don't remember the 1980's when Japan was supposedly taking over our entire country. Jingoism is alive and well in this country I suppose.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
China has a lot of consumers, and our businesses want access to those customers.

People are upset at buying Chinese goods but people like cheap toasters and crap.

The answer isn't to boycott China, its to lower wages here to allow companies to compete with China. That doesn't mean pay people a quarter a day, just enough to offset it compared to transportation costs of the Pacific ocean.
I totally agree with you.

I am not in the corner of the "boycott China" group b/c it is waaaaaay past that.

I agree with you 100% and have been saying this since the early 2000s - that what has to happen is lowered wages so we can compete w/ China.

But any time I have stated this, people get mad as hell and call me names, LOL.

I try to point out - our standard of living is going to necessarily have to go down - smaller houses, less individual debt - or we are gonna sink this ship.

You are the first person I have interacted with who sees this as the rational and necessary approach to getting this country back to work over the longterm.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I guess people don't remember the 1980's when Japan was supposedly taking over our entire country. Jingoism is alive and well in this country I suppose.
And we owed Japan how many TRILLIONS of dollars at that time?

Oh. We didn't.

End of your jingoism discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies