Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 12:04 AM

4,887 posts, read 5,058,550 times

Advertisements

Where could anyone put that amount of money, without using a finanicial institution? Think about it, a financial crisis happens, money in banks or invested could just disappear. Gold and commidities, thats just investments on paper. Land is only worth what someone will/can pay you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2012, 12:06 AM

29,407 posts, read 22,124,438 times
What bank would you put it in though? As I pointed out to my wife your only guaranteed 100K from FDIC if a bank tanks. How long it would actually take you to get that I don't know. Of course you gotta buy some toys out of the gate. I'd probably head down to Keenland and buy a couple race horses and start a stable. That goes against my save save save mantra but you only live once. lol

Old 08-12-2012, 12:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,329,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
My wife came home with a powerball ticket and I asked her where would we put the money if we won and then after thinking about it I really don't know. With the financial sector in disarray where would be a safe place to dump say 100 million bucks? I guess I'd build a vault under the back yard and sit on it or fill it with coffee and cigarettes and whiskey.
Canada is close and doing better.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:08 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,729,589 times
I'd spend it on Wimmin and whiskey. The rest I'd just waste.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:10 AM

After thinking about what to do with it I realized it aint easy being rich. lol

Old 08-12-2012, 12:17 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,483,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
apple stock and walmart.. just a little..
Walmart maybe, Apple no, it's overdue to pop. Just wait until the iPhone 5 comes out, if it's anything less than its competitors Apple stock will begin to decline.

I'd invest in a few innovate 3D printing companies to begin with. Maybe they'd get $250k from individually so if any of them fail, it won't be a huge loss for myself. Next I'd begin a program that would loan up to $250,000 to local innovative companies, the program would have up to $5 million in funds. I'd attempt to work with The Cheesecake Factory to open up smaller concept stores across metropolitans with 750k residents or less, these stores would be considered express stores. I'd buy plenty of land in the northeast and south, specifically in Arizona. And my final safe investment would be purchasing franchise rights to Chick-Fil-A in NYC and hopefully open a restaurant in Time Square because it would be extremely profitable. The rest of the cash would go to philanthropy, split between a select few family members, savings, and personal spending.

Quote:
What bank would you put it in though? As I pointed out to my wife your only guaranteed 100K from FDIC if a bank tanks. How long it would actually take you to get that I don't know. Of course you gotta buy some toys out of the gate. I'd probably head down to Keenland and buy a couple race horses and start a stable. That goes against my save save save mantra but you only live once. lol
I wouldn't put all of into one bank, but split into about six to a dozen banks and not because I'm trying to avoid taxes but because I don't want to lose it.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:20 AM

2,505 posts, read 2,346,391 times
Quote:
My wife came home with a powerball ticket and I asked her where would we put the money if we won and then after thinking about it I really don't know. With the financial sector in disarray where would be a safe place to dump say 100 million bucks? I guess I'd build a vault under the back yard and sit on it or fill it with coffee and cigarettes and whiskey.
If I won $100 million I would keep $25 million and give away the rest to various people by paying for groceries, fixing cars, and such. Honestly, I would be happy with $3 million as that is what I would make in 75 years if I made $40,000 a year.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:21 AM

Ya know opening up some chain restaurants is a pretty damn good idea. People gotta eat. Maybe get Chef Ramsey to do a Hells Kitchen to find me a chef for a fancy one too.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raison_d'etre View Post
If I won $100 million I would keep $25 million and give away the rest to various people by paying for groceries, fixing cars, and such. Honestly, I would be happy with $3 million as that is what I would make in 75 years if I made $40,000 a year.
I think I'd do a lot of that giving away too. I remember last Christmas when folks were going in and paying off others layaway items and the like. Do it all ond the down low. There used to be a guy in KC who would go around handing out hundred dollar bills around Christmas time for years to people. Forget all that stuff about starting a board and finding people in need and then going through a whole process just have wad of cash in your pocket and when your out and about if you feel like helping somebody out who looks like they could use it go hand em a wad of hundreds and walk off.

Old 08-12-2012, 12:47 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,729,589 times
Quote:
Ya know opening up some chain restaurants is a pretty damn good idea. People gotta eat. Maybe get Chef Ramsey to do a Hells Kitchen to find me a chef for a fancy one too.
The falure rate for resturants is higher than any other start up. People are finicky about their tastes. They love your menu for about 6 weeks and then the're on a hummus kick.

GM stock is a sure winner. It is undervalued and they have a rapidly expanding market in China.
Natural Gas futures, as this is the fuel for the future.
Non precious metals like copper and aluminum. China will buy all you can mine. Stay away from gold and silver. Overvalued.
Invest in good solid technical schools. Education is a big moneymaker. Lots of government funding.
Leverage the housing market. Now you can buy low and finance most of the cost while you appreciate with equity. Rent them out until you can sell for a profit. Form a company to do it for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies