Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When does "human life" begin?
Week 0/2: Some time before conception (no birth control whatsoever, the official view of some religions) 3 3.75%
Week 0/2: One sperm penetrates egg wall (one view of conception, which is some time before the...) 7 8.75%
Week 0/2: Egg is fully fertilized and new DNA forms (another view of conception) 11 13.75%
Week 1/3: Zygote implants into uterine wall (home pregnancy tests are positive, "medical" definition of pregnancy) 9 11.25%
Week 4/6: Heart starts beating, but is not fully formed 7 8.75%
Week 8/10: Embryo is now "officially" a Fetus and arguably "looks" like a baby 3 3.75%
Week 10/12: Heartbeat can be heard 0 0%
Week 11/13: End of First Trimester, arbitrary political time point 3 3.75%
Week 18/20: Halfway point; mother can feel movements 1 1.25%
Week 19/21: Shortest recorded live birth was 21 weeks 5 days gestation; baby survived and is still alive 2 2.50%
Week 22/24: Fetus is considered "officially" viable 9 11.25%
Week 25/27: End of Second Trimester; arbitrary political time point 2 2.50%
Baby takes first breath of air 23 28.75%
Voters: 80. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 01:35 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,963,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
While I said "When the baby takes its breath", this is where it's still okay to me. I personally don't think anything which is parasitic to its host and which cannot survive without the host is technically alive, but I can understand where you are coming from.

Personally, I would not support my potential child being aborted at any stage, but I support the right of people to do so until that child is fully able to live and breathe without the mother. The world is far too overpopulated as it is, so we certainly don't need any more unwanted children being added to the population.
And what about severely handicapped people who also depend on a host till the day they die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 01:36 PM

659 posts, read 1,021,925 times
It really disturbs me when I see women who are for abortion. I can understand a man being for it, I mean come on. I can also understand young girl wanting an abortion, but grown women? This world is really messed up. I been pregnant 3 times and there is a bond from the start, how can any woman say she wants to abort her child?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:21 PM

16,990 posts, read 10,755,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkBeforeYouVote View Post
While I said "When the baby takes its breath", this is where it's still okay to me. I personally don't think anything which is parasitic to its host and which cannot survive without the host is technically alive, but I can understand where you are coming from.

Personally, I would not support my potential child being aborted at any stage, but I support the right of people to do so until that child is fully able to live and breathe without the mother. The world is far too overpopulated as it is, so we certainly don't need any more unwanted children being added to the population.
So why not just allow abortion until the baby does not need it's mother's milk or food, and can fend for itself? Maybe allow abortion up until seven or eight years old?

Old 08-10-2012, 02:28 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,912,333 times
HUMAN life begins the moment humanity came into being. Human life ends when we are extinct. Some people are born of hate and some are born of love- No insult to pro-abortionists but- Do you really hate humanity that much that you want to destroy it at it's weakest stage? It is starting to make sense- some people love people and some people hate people to the point of wanting to kill them- but they don't because an adult human being can defend themselves..where as a child hiding in the womb..can be reached and harmed with out any risk. Abortion is just so old fashioned...I just hope that those who keep it alive eventually abort their futile efforts at controlling people.

Old 08-10-2012, 02:46 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,963,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
HUMAN life begins the moment humanity came into being. Human life ends when we are extinct. Some people are born of hate and some are born of love- No insult to pro-abortionists but- Do you really hate humanity that much that you want to destroy it at it's weakest stage? It is starting to make sense- some people love people and some people hate people to the point of wanting to kill them- but they don't because an adult human being can defend themselves..where as a child hiding in the womb..can be reached and harmed with out any risk. Abortion is just so old fashioned...I just hope that those who keep it alive eventually abort their futile efforts at controlling people.

Human life is not the same as a human life.
And really, pro-abortionists?! I for one am pro-choice, but anti-abortion (except for a few circumstances).

Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,182,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
And what about severely handicapped people who also depend on a host till the day they die?
They do not depend on a host.....they depend on caregivers.....BIG DIFFERENCE.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:10 PM

990 posts, read 946,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
Well you're already here, there's one person already on this planet.
???? What does that even mean?

Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ming Ming View Post
It really disturbs me when I see women who are for abortion. I can understand a man being for it, I mean come on. I can also understand young girl wanting an abortion, but grown women? This world is really messed up. I been pregnant 3 times and there is a bond from the start, how can any woman say she wants to abort her child?
You can't use your emotions to measure others.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Wow, that was an excellent spin!
Still a spin of the fact, they will charge you for a double killing of human life.
Let's put it this way.

If I cut down a tree on MY property.....that is my choice....and it is legal.

If YOU cut down a tree on my property, without my permission.....it is not your choice and it is not legal.

You are committing a crime.....I am not.

Old 08-10-2012, 03:20 PM

990 posts, read 946,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
They are not parasitic, they can be cared for by another person.
You can't take a 4 week old fetus out of a woman's womb and have it survive.
BIG DIFFERENCE.

Plus, I don't really see why people feel the need to protect severly handicapped people anyway...hundreds of years ago those people would have been left to die but now they are suddenly expected to have more rights than women are based on what the right wing likes to insinuate. A parasite is a parasite no matter how you look at it, and keeping some drooling quadrapeligic with no mental activity alive is just a waste of resources.

If you people care so much about life, why don't you do something to improve the lives of those who actually understand that their lives suck? Why is it that you're all for special education but not regular education?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies