Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the government control the sale of machine guns
No, guns should be available to the average citizen 66 51.56%
Yes, machine guns should not be accessible to citizens 62 48.44%
Voters: 128. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2012, 05:36 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the authors of the "right to bear arms" may have worded it differently if they knew what kind of firepower they were condoning a few hundred years up the road.
I doubt that, since they'd be more frightened at the firepower the government has.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 06:15 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
If not, isn't that gun control??

Ak-47s and Ar-15s are semi-automatic rifles.

I think by "machine gun", you mean fully automatic. There certainly are full auto versions of the AK and Ar-15, however, these are illegal in many states. Some states allow ownership of full auto weapons, however.

Those states who allow full auto weapons tend to have lower crime rates, but I think that is incidental.

http://www.gac.20m.com/Firearms.html

Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
I would like to repeal the 1934 Federal Firearms Act the makes owning a fully automatic weapon quite difficult and, IIRC outlaws a short shotgun completely. I would also like to interstate and intercity recognition of any State Concealed Carry Permit. I figure a CCP from NH should be recognized anywhere in the US.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:32 AM

240 posts, read 537,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
I sometimes wonder if the authors of the "right to bear arms" may have worded it differently if they knew what kind of firepower they were condoning a few hundred years up the road.
I sometimes wonder if the authors of the "right to free speech" may have worded it differently if they knew what kind of firepower, i.e., Internet, film, texting, video, television, radio, they were condoning a few hundred years up the road.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:37 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Haha.....an AK-47 is no where near a machine gun.....

Complete thread fail......

Great propagandist thread thou....but never EVER, do your own research....follow the lemur as the daily memo states...

Where did the TS state that an AK-47 is a machine gun? I suggest you go back and read the title. He clearly asks "should owning ak-47's AND machine guns be legal.

Old 07-30-2012, 06:46 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,582,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Instead of making laws against guns which are merely inanimate objects, how about making it illegal to kill people in a packed theater.

After all, if merely making laws solves the problem, then make smart laws against murder.
People are always going to kill people. That is never going to change. However limiting what one can use to kill people will indeed make a difference. If I recall correctly, the movie theater shooters AR-15 jammed and he had to resort to using a handgun. The police clearly stated that the casualty rate would have been much higher had that high powered assault rifle not jammed.

Now I have a strong stance that every single American has the right to bear arms in order to defend one's self, his home, and his family. Although I do feel that a restriction on certain firearms should be in place. No reason why Joe Schmo should be able to walk into a store and purchase unlimited amounts of high powered assault rifles and machine guns with thousands and thousands of ammunition rounds just for the sake of doing so.

Old 07-30-2012, 07:11 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,974,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Maybe it's time to reconsider what is an assault weapon and reclassify AR-15's, etc.
How would the gun grabbers do that? It's been since JFK was killed that Gun Grabbers haven't been able to read up on what a gun really is...... 50 years almost and not one grabber has figured out a thing..... So all they do is whine and cry, throw off the guilt for screwing up the entire system and the good American way, and wionder whyb they are so dumbbed down that they can not get simple mechanics figured out.

That shows in vehicals with the singing off of standard trasmissions, because gun grabbers CAN'T drive them! Holy hell would break loose if gun grabbers couldn't earn money with the press if a button.

It must have been gun grabbers who invented the staple EZ button, as no one else would have thought to need it.

I will tell you the Ar -15 and the AK clones are in fact the very same thing, and so are most any semi auto (self loading rifle) The parts appear differnt, just like Ford parts won't fit Porche, but the vehicals all to the same thing with similar parts.

You may as well ban men because they could be rapists, and of course women since they could be whores. We all have the parts right?

Old 07-30-2012, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Ak-47s and Ar-15s are semi-automatic rifles.

I think by "machine gun", you mean fully automatic. There certainly are full auto versions of the AK and Ar-15, however, these are illegal in many states. Some states allow ownership of full auto weapons, however.

Those states who allow full auto weapons tend to have lower crime rates, but I think that is incidental.

Firearm facts
Umm...... States that allow full auto like NH do not have lessw crime because we allow full auto weapons, but we have less crime because it is not a crime to own guns...

We have no permit or lic system to just buy a gun and ammo, We do have to pass NICS, and to carry concealed we do have a permit/lic system but the cost is $10.00 bux....

The Lic in the case of NH is good for 4 years too. When the lic becomes $10.01 the cost will be more than I can bear and i will forgo it as Shall NOT be Infringed.

And if ever there were any silly ban I would do the same Shall NOT be Infringed.

Vt has no carry permit laws, no controll of much which is a problem to Vter;s who wish for a permit, since they are only legal in Vt with no permit. They come to NH for a lic which gets them legal in 18 states, maybe 21 now i think.

Vt has a low crime rate and it is simply because bad guys know they could get shot, and so most bad guys who still have any brains intact go to someplace they don't have the chance of getting shot so bad.

And then when a bad guy does get shot the gun grabbers come out and screem about what a nice guy he was and how some more hand wringing and whine will help save the next bad guy and that silly bans which will never happen anyway is what to do, and yadda yadda yadda for 50+ years, and it does tend to wear my non illegitii te carborundum.

I suppose someone with a LEGAL FULL AUTO Machine gun may have stopped a crime with it, just by brandishing, and so no one ever heard of the problem which went away very quickly. I say this because so far i have never heard of a bad guy getting shot up that much, that i would think he was machine gunned to death!

If that did happen we would all still be hearing that whine!

Old 07-30-2012, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would like to repeal the 1934 Federal Firearms Act the makes owning a fully automatic weapon quite difficult and, IIRC outlaws a short shotgun completely. I would also like to interstate and intercity recognition of any State Concealed Carry Permit. I figure a CCP from NH should be recognized anywhere in the US.
Please elaborate Greg..

Old 07-30-2012, 07:33 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,732,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
How would the gun grabbers do that? It's been since JFK was killed that Gun Grabbers haven't been able to read up on what a gun really is...... 50 years almost and not one grabber has figured out a thing..... So all they do is whine and cry, throw off the guilt for screwing up the entire system and the good American way, and wionder whyb they are so dumbbed down that they can not get simple mechanics figured out.

That shows in vehicals with the singing off of standard trasmissions, because gun grabbers CAN'T drive them! Holy hell would break loose if gun grabbers couldn't earn money with the press if a button.

It must have been gun grabbers who invented the staple EZ button, as no one else would have thought to need it.

I will tell you the Ar -15 and the AK clones are in fact the very same thing, and so are most any semi auto (self loading rifle) The parts appear differnt, just like Ford parts won't fit Porche, but the vehicals all to the same thing with similar parts.

You may as well ban men because they could be rapists, and of course women since they could be whores. We all have the parts right?
OOOOHHH how I long for the days you could buy a carcano carbine for 20 bucks from shotgun news...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies