Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 11:59 AM
F40

826 posts, read 858,331 times

Advertisements

What I don't understand about SS is why everybody collects it when they hit 62? I think it should only be used for the truly needy when they retire. I get its my money bla bla bla I paid into it, But its like car insurance you pay into it, you never had to use it, but you don't get a refund when you quit driving. I doubt this was the original intention of SS. I'm guessing there was a compromise either everyone gets SS or no one gets SS?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 12:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,476,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F40 View Post
What I don't understand about SS is why everybody collects it when they hit 62? I think it should only be used for the truly needy when they retire. I get its my money bla bla bla I paid into it, But its like car insurance you pay into it, you never had to use it, but you don't get a refund when you quit driving. I doubt this was the original intention of SS. I'm guessing there was a compromise either everyone gets SS or no one gets SS?

Most people start collecting at 65-66, not 62. You have to take reduced benefits if you want to collect at 62.

The general age requirement is 66 and going up to 67 soon. It needs to go to 70 probably.

A lot of people have a real sense of entitlement to SS benefits. That being said, if you pay in for 40 or 50 years with the promise that you'll "get it back," you should feel "entitled" to the benefits. People do need to get real though and realize that cuts are going to have to be made, the age is going to have to be raised, etc.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 07-27-2012 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-27-2012, 12:38 PM

15,875 posts, read 21,463,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Because finding a job in your '60s is a cakewalk, eh?

If you're lucky perhaps you'll make contact with reality by the time you reach retirement age.
Finding a job in your 60s is significantly easier than getting seriously ill in this country - even with insurance.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,476,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Because finding a job in your '60s is a cakewalk, eh?

If you're lucky perhaps you'll make contact with reality by the time you reach retirement age.
Over 50 and job hunting? Here's some encouraging news - Fortune Management

70% of the jobs created in the US in the past 2 1/2 years have gone to those 55 and older.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:46 PM

4,571 posts, read 3,524,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
People wanted Social Security. People want Affordable Health Care.
Well, mensaboy, they didn't get it with obamacare, did they?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:12 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,127,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
So it's ok that we have people mooching off the system for 20+ years?
I don't call putting 40+ years in the workforce and paying into Social Security "mooching" by any means.

Pray you never get old and sick, buddy, because Karma, as they say, is a *****.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:27 PM

1,187 posts, read 996,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
There we have it. Republicans want to get rid of FDRCare. Why aren't your representatives advocating that? You guys need to talk to your congressman/woman. They are obviously not representing your interests.
First, I'm not a republican. Was registered Dem until after Gore lost, and then registered Libertarian ever since.

Second, where did I say anyone was advocating to get rid of it? I actually said it wouldn't matter either way because it's not GOING to exist by the time I'm ready to retire anyway.

third, you're right, there are almost NO representatives actually representing anyone who isn't a Big labor union or corporation, which is sad. Although what's more sad is how many people believe either party are doing so. Both sides of the aisle have a few that truely do, but the entire party of either side is not.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM

15,875 posts, read 21,463,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
I don't call putting 40+ years in the workforce and paying into Social Security "mooching" by any means.

Pray you never get old and sick, buddy, because Karma, as they say, is a *****.

Try being young and sick, unable to pay your medical bills, and yet still paying into SS while knowing you will never be a beneficiary of those funds.

Old 07-27-2012, 01:28 PM

1,187 posts, read 996,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
People wanted Social Security. People want Affordable Health Care.
Yes, but how does that relate to the incredible travesty of Obamacare, which will neccessarily skyrocket the cost and price of heatlh care while plummetting the quality?

Old 07-27-2012, 01:53 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,127,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Try being young and sick, unable to pay your medical bills, and yet still paying into SS while knowing you will never be a beneficiary of those funds.

All the while I was working, I never once bitched that the money I was putting into Social Security was being used to support the generation that preceded me. Don't worry, kid, According to my latest physical, I may not be mooching off the system very much longer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies