Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 03:24 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,958,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Marco Rubio nailed it: If you don't pay the "penalty" you have an IRS problem. A big problem. A tax problem.
I was listening to NPR yesterday and they had a panel of experts discussing both the bill and the ruling. They all said that the fine/penalty/what ever for deciding not to purchase health insurance could only be taken out of your tax refund but they can't come after your property or garnish wages or seize assets. In effect, the worst thing that happens is you'd lose your tax return which would suck but it's hardly the end of the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 AM

12,867 posts, read 15,003,917 times
the government is out of money, and they are going to tax everybody and everything to get more money.

who doesn't see that?

even the money printing is an inflation tax on EVERYBODY.

heck, they even admitted that they are going to raise taxes after the next election and they are just holding off until the election.

governments around the world are blaming the private sector as a diversionary tactic so that they can try and continue business as usual, with out of control spending and insufficient revenues.

the irony is that the more they pull from the private sector, the less sustainable their spending will be-but i guess they haven't figured that out yet. (or maybe they have)

Old 06-30-2012, 03:45 AM

27,587 posts, read 15,653,409 times
What of people like me that usually owes $50.- $200. of top of what was deducted from my paychecks.
Bad credit report?

Old 06-30-2012, 03:49 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,413,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
I was listening to NPR yesterday and they had a panel of experts discussing both the bill and the ruling. They all said that the fine/penalty/what ever for deciding not to purchase health insurance could only be taken out of your tax refund but they can't come after your property or garnish wages or seize assets. In effect, the worst thing that happens is you'd lose your tax return which would suck but it's hardly the end of the world.
That is correct and if you adjust your withholding there is no refund to collect from.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:53 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,397,889 times
Quote:
And what of those that don't play that game? (the one where the people give the government an interest free loan throughout the year). Some pay responsibly instead of stupidly.

If I was not sick all year, I receive no benefit from the taxes collected. But someone else does.

One can see tangible evidence of benefits all around us from the taxes we pay.

O has people snookered into thinking he's George Bailey and the government is the Bailey Building and Loan Association. In reality he's just one of Henry Potter's hired goon's raking in cash from all.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:57 AM

1,360 posts, read 2,967,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That is correct and if you adjust your withholding there is no refund to collect from.
Right, so the thing is already disfunctional after all this time, effort, and angst.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,413,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Right, so the thing is already disfunctional after all this time, effort, and angst.
I don't know if you're agreeing with me being sarcastic but in any event it will depend on how many people exploit that loophole. If many take that route insurance rates are going up because those people can go get "insurance" any time they want.

Old 06-30-2012, 11:45 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,842,414 times
The most important difference between Obamacare's mandate being a "tax" instead of a "penalty"?

If it had been honestly described as a tax, many of the Senators and Representatives who voted for it, wouldn't have. Most of them said straight out at the time, that if the program increased taxes, they would vote NO.

If the liberals had admitted it was a tax, Obamacare would never have passed in the first place.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:06 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,978,477 times
Quote:
Change your w-4 to have less taken out. You get no refund.

Old 07-01-2012, 09:43 AM

7,242 posts, read 7,958,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
And what of those that don't play that game? (the one where the people give the government an interest free loan throughout the year). Some pay responsibly instead of stupidly.

If I was not sick all year, I receive no benefit from the taxes collected. But someone else does.

One can see tangible evidence of benefits all around us from the taxes we pay.

O has people snookered into thinking he's George Bailey and the government is the Bailey Building and Loan Association. In reality he's just one of Henry Potter's hired goon's raking in cash from all.
I don't rightly follow you. If you have insurance then you don't have to pay the penalty so what's the issue? Are you really complaining about owning insurance but not getting sick?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies