Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 08:36 AM

23,416 posts, read 37,029,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post

If you don't like it, too bad. That's they way it is.
Hmmmmmm, isnt that what "they" used to say to slaves, women, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 08:38 AM

2,162 posts, read 3,367,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Great! When did the federal government start recognizing legal same sex marriages?
Just read the Constitution already.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:44 AM

18,478 posts, read 31,664,609 times
Quote:
How did I know that is what you were going to bring up!!! Of course.

But, marriage is something between a man and a woman, not two people of the same sex, and it has been that since the begining of history, as far as I know. It was ordained by God.

If you don't like it, too bad. That's they way it is.

You can have a "civil union," but it "aint" marriage. Marriage is (most always) for the purpose of raising a family, though some couples choose not to have children.

Families, husband and wife, and children, are good for society.

Sorry. Being "gay" does not entitle you to the same benefits as marriage. Quit trying to screw with society to make it bend to your quirky lifestyle!

wrong.

the word marriage was created by humans.

just because it was said from the beginning of time that marrage was between a man and a woman does not mean that things cannot evolve and change.

maybe it would be better if we called it something else other than marrage.

it basically comes down to religion, which the more i am thinking about, religion has been the problem of man since day one.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,223,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redvelvet709 View Post
Just read the Constitution already.
Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
That is what the constitution says.

By banning same sex marriage the states are in face enforcing laws that abridge the privileges of same sex couples.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:50 AM

798 posts, read 1,035,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Because then we would have to create a multitude of new laws to be sure they all carry the same rights and benefits. What is so hard about simply calling it marriage?
What laws? These are three words that will describe the same thing. Laws will state that these are all equal in the eyes of the government, all will receive the same benefits, etc.

What is hard about calling it marriage is that several religious people don't want their definition of marriage "corrupted." As I said before, I am Christian and I don't care. It does not corrupt it for me. If I do get married, marriage will be a word that strictly defines what exists between me and my wife. Nothing else matters IMO.

If a multitude of new laws can end this senseless bickering, I am all for it. Right now, we are fighting over a word. Take the word out of the equation and set up an institution that caters to all. If marriage is a religious word then gays should not care if a different word is used but the same benefits are given. If they do, well, then we are back to square one. Again, personally I could care less.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,424,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow

Get government out of the marriage business and you will solve all your problems to being equal.

Ok fine. Perfect solution that will never come to pass.

But back on planet earth, we have to deal with the reality of the situation of a secular government construct: The marriage contract.

This is separate and apart from a "religious" marriage, which often accompanies, but is not necessary, for the completion of the contract.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM

4,373 posts, read 3,231,555 times
Quote:
I couldn't care less if you don't believe in God. That's your businness. And for American's throughout our history (until perhaps modern times), marriage has been accepted as something between a man and a woman only, and has been seen as a covenant they make together in the sight of GOD! Whenever the state got involved to issue marriage licences, I don't know, but that did not change the meaning of the relationship as a covenant before GOD.

And no, you do not have a right to change what God has created to suit your immoral lifestyle.
Long before your religion came around, marriage was a secular matter. It was, is, and always will be a SECULAR matter. Where does it say in the Constitution that gays can't get married?

Constitution > Bible.

Keep your 'religion' out of my SECULAR arrangements. Thanks!

Old 06-27-2012, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You have every right to be gay.

I have every right to make fun of that aspect of your character.

Marriage is a religious ceremony. It is not a legal contract to live and be as one.
Incorrect. Marriage is a SECULAR arrangement with a CIVIL CONTRACT issued forth by the GOVERNMENT. Religion didn't come along until WELL after marriage was around.

It is a legal contract to be recognized as this or that person's life partner whether they be straight or gay and you only have an issue with it because "it's icky".

Please.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
You have exactly the same rights as every other American.
Not exactly. Homosexuals aren't allowed to marry the person they love based on their life style.

This discrimination and denial of rights of a group of people because others don't agree with it is unconstitutional.

So again, how do homosexuals have the same rights as every other American when they aren't allowed to marry someone of the same sex? Oh and show where it says they aren't allowed to marry someone of the same sex in the Constitution.

Exactly.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:09 AM

1,610 posts, read 1,783,466 times
Discrimination over a job then yes you have a point but if a group of people came to America and started having sex with animals should they protest and be able to make the government make a law acceptable for all Americans to have sex with animals?

Everyone cant take just come here and do as they please and bully the government into giving them their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies