Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 04:25 PM

61 posts, read 40,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post

Love how you say this about him but yet you don't mention what Obama has either lied or misled the ntion on.

LOl again thats why I see liberals as not that smart. When you say things like this it makes you look like a leftwing sheeple. I would hate for you to be a sheep. Sheep always get sheered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 04:30 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,976,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Go through each one of those and you'll see that most are not real flip flops.

Take the one on gay marriage, for example. Romney was against the constitutional amendment because it would have banned any form of legal recognition for same-sex couples, however he was always for a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage.

As far as the Bush tax cuts, he never said he was against them. So it's not a flip flop to say he supported them four years later...especially given that - on a specific policy rather than something simply ideological - people will of course form opinions or change their minds after they look at the positives and negatives of it.

These are just two examples...it's a stretch to say that most of these are flip flops and it's a stretch to say that many of these things are even "issues" (his views on Reagan or whether he owns a gun are not "issues").
During the primaries Flipper opposed the Dream Act, opposed proposed legislation that would have allowed many young illegal immigrants to remain in the country and allowed a path to citizenship. Now Obama has pretty much put the Dream Act into action with his latest memo...what is Romney's reaction, we can only say approval based on his lack of condemnation. hmmmm.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:32 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,793,532 times
Here is my first criterion for a moderate Republican. They realize that revenue and cost control are both elements of fiscal management. Namely, they look at the job at hand and do not sign pledges before entering to service for the people.

What is Romney's relationship to Grover Norquist? Has he signed any "pledges?" Just curious.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michman1968 View Post
Love how you say this about him but yet you don't mention what Obama has either lied or misled the ntion on.

LOl again thats why I see liberals as not that smart. When you say things like this it makes you look like a leftwing sheeple. I would hate for you to be a sheep. Sheep always get sheered
Maybe you see liberals as not that smart because you have no idea what smart looks like. You are not using logic. Just because someone criticizes one person does not mean that can't be critical of another person. I can be both critical of Romney and of Obama they are not mutually exclusive.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:34 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,501,173 times
Quote:
During the primaries Flipper opposed the Dream Act, opposed proposed legislation that would have allowed many young illegal immigrants to remain in the country and allowed a path to citizenship. Now Obama has pretty much put the Dream Act into action with his latest memo...what is Romney's reaction, we can only say approval based on his lack of condemnation. hmmmm.
Romney did come out against what Obama did. Not nearly as much as I would have liked, and he did give somewhat of a non-answer when asked about it, but he basically said he thought "kicking the can down the road" and not coming up with a more permanent solution was a bad idea. As far as his opposition to the Dream Act - remember, the Dream Act would grant citizenship to young illegals while what Obama has done did not. If Obama had granted citizenship to young illegals and Romney had not come out against it more strongly, I would be very upset. But that's not what happened. As far as the Dream Act, Obama still wants it to be passed and Romney has not said he supports the Dream Act.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,639,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
The problem with term limits is the learning curve for new legislators. Impose term limits and you will turn over the operation of the government even more to unelected bureaucrats and lobbyists. That's a problem now with most legislators at all levels, down to locals, not reading let alone understanding what they're passing and depending on briefings or explanations from staff or other interested parties. Then a year down the road everyone looks at each other and says "How the Hell did this happen?".

For the second paragraph: that can be said for both sides.
Lobbyists need to be curtailed, the learning curve for legislators needs to "raise the bar"...they arent working at a menial retail job, they are affecting US policy and human beings...they need to be held to a higher standard, stringently.

I am presuming Congress (some) have acquired a modicum of legal education (not talking about local politics here) .

Congress needs to prove they deserve their position, they should not be entitled to the current imperialistic system. We are no longer living in days of "Camelot" and their foibles and media antics are no longer humorous, they are an enraging disgrace to this nation.

The MSM and trash media we now have in America is also no help, politicians need to be held accountable financially. Of course , financial issues are not as lurid and fun for the bubbleheads to report on the MSM (both sides).

Old 06-16-2012, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
Here is my first criterion for a moderate Republican. They realize that revenue and cost control are both elements of fiscal management. Namely, they look at the job at hand and do not sign pledges before entering to service for the people.

What is Romney's relationship to Grover Norquist? Has he signed any "pledges?" Just curious.
I think he signed it in 08, but he may flip.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Romney did come out against what Obama did. Not nearly as much as I would have liked, and he did give somewhat of a non-answer when asked about it, but he basically said he thought "kicking the can down the road" and not coming up with a more permanent solution was a bad idea. As far as his opposition to the Dream Act - remember, the Dream Act would grant citizenship to young illegals while what Obama has done did not. If Obama had granted citizenship to young illegals and Romney had not come out against it more strongly, I would be very upset. But that's not what happened. As far as the Dream Act, Obama still wants it to be passed and Romney has not said he supports the Dream Act.
You are splitting hairs here. Romney gave a non answer, you have that correct. It could have something to do that most americans do want to deport young illegals who came here at no fault of their own. You don't think Romney is aware of the polling? He is trying to move close to center. The primaries are over.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:38 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,216,921 times
I'm pretty moderate myself. I've identified as Republican to some degree or another since before I could vote, but I apparently lean more towards libertarianism (I think.) I've more or less got the same political leanings as "afoigrokerkok", with a few minor differences.

When I post here, though, I probably come across as definitely way more conservative, but the rabid liberals/conservatives on this forum irritate the hell out of me and some days I am definitely ashamed to be associated with some people via the Republican Party.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:40 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,501,173 times
Quote:
You are splitting hairs here. Romney gave a non answer, you have that correct. It could have something to do that most americans do want to deport young illegals who came here at no fault of their own. You don't think Romney is aware of the polling? He is trying to move close to center. The primaries are over.
I know....but he's not changing his stances. The fact is he did come out against the Dream Act and he did come out against this. He didn't come out against this very strongly, but he at least sort of did, and it's not the Dream Act anyway.

I don't fault him for carefully choosing what he says as he's trying to appeal to a different audience. That's politics. I hate it, but it's what candidates have to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies