Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times

Advertisements

This is exactly what I said:

Quote:
I wrote letter to the local newspaper that was published suggesting they hire whoever was best qualified for the job regardless of race, am I wrong?
You said I'm wrong, what other conclusion am I to draw other that you expect minorities to be hired based on the color of their skin? You need to spend a little more time reading and understanding what you're replying too.

Quote:
What I’m saying is diversity is a strength not a weakness.
I don't care if you're white, black, purple or green. In this case the only thing I want to know is your the best qualified for the job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2012, 01:18 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,130,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
This is exactly what I said:

You said I'm wrong, what other conclusion am I to draw other that you expect minorities to be hired based on the color of their skin? You need to spend a little more time reading and understanding what you're replying too.

I don't care if you're white, black, purple or green. In this case the only thing I want to know is your the best qualified for the job.
See this is wear you and I part ways in understanding. Best qualified is subjective in nature. Once someone is qualified be it number one or number one hundred they are all capable of completing the job. From this pool of qualified personal diversity should be sot. I’m not saying hire the unqualified in the name of diversity but to strive for diversity when possible. So hiring someone based on the color of their skin is an disingenuous statement and only tells half the truth.

I don’t need to spend more time reading to understand because I understood from the beginning what was meant. Now can you say the same?

Old 06-02-2012, 02:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,028,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
Once someone is qualified be it number one or number one hundred they are all capable of completing the job.
If you're getting on a plane do you want number one flying it or number 100?

Quote:

So hiring someone based on the color of their skin is an disingenuous statement and only tells half the truth.
You're either are or are not hiring based on skin color. You can try sugar coat it with the term diversity but I call it reverse discrimination. Try mandating that white teachers have to hired in schools with all black faculty and see how well that flies.... If you want to get over the racial divide it's these types of things that need to stop.

Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
Quote:
You are incorrect once again. I never mentioned that expectations should be lowered to accommodate minorities. You are trying to steer the conversation in a direction that only you assume. What I’m saying is diversity is a strength not a weakness. Do you agree with that or are you anti multicultural like a lot of other conservatives on this forum?
diversity is a strength, but when you force businesses or government to anyone else to hire people where one of the considerations is skin color, you dont get the best. AA was a failure from the beginning because it was used as a club to force the hiring of less qualified people.

take the civil service hiring requirements for instance, before AA was instituted, you had to pass a performance test, and be ranked by your performance on that test. then the government agency would start at the TOP of the list and interview people until they found the right person for the job. after AA was instituted, minorities got a big boost in their performance scores just by showing up. that meant that they didnt have to do as well on the performance test that non minorities did to get on the list. that means that the top people on the list were NOT the best.

as for multi culturalism, it doesnt work. it creates many problems that didnt exist. its one thing to have people immigrate to this country, and bring their ideals with them, it is another thing to force everyone to celebrate those ideals.

for instance, here in america we actually celebrate two independence days, our own on july fourth, and cinco de mayo(a mexican independence day). why? we didnt have anything to do with cinco de mayo, but we celebrate it with a party like it was our independence day.

back in the late 60s when i was growing up, america was a melting pot of cultures and ideas. everyone pretty much got along well because we were a country with ONE culture, the american culture. it was made up of several cultures melded together, and everyone understood this, and accepted this.

in the end multi culturalism only divides a society and makes it weaker.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
If you're getting on a plane do you want number one flying it or number 100?

You're either are or are not hiring based on skin color. You can try sugar coat it with the term diversity but I call it reverse discrimination. Try mandating that white teachers have to hired in schools with all black faculty and see how well that flies.... If you want to get over the racial divide it's these types of things that need to stop.
People board planes everyday without the number one pilot behind the wheel. You know why it doesn’t matter because whoever is behind the wheel was qualified. So to answer your question no I wouldn’t have a problem with it.

Regarding your other question. Everything isn’t black and white. You can create programs to expand diversity without hiring based solely on race. Usually a dynamic and uplifting approach is taken by those seeking diversity and a never bend statues quo approach is taken by those who dislike diversity. A racial divide isn’t something you get over it’s something you get rid of. And you’ll never get rid of it without targeted strategies to address the problem areas..

Old 06-02-2012, 10:37 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
We’re not racist they tell us. Talking about racism keeps racism alive they say. Thank god for the Huffington Post!

Steve Smith, White Supremacist, Elected To Republican Party Committee In Pennsylvania County
Is there a chance that Smith will become a member of the national GOP committee soon? Maybe he will run for public office right away. How many people live in that one county in Pennsylvania? I guess HuffPo doesn't address any of these questions, huh?

Old 06-02-2012, 10:46 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,257,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
diversity is a strength, but when you force businesses or government to anyone else to hire people where one of the considerations is skin color, you dont get the best. AA was a failure from the beginning because it was used as a club to force the hiring of less qualified people.

take the civil service hiring requirements for instance, before AA was instituted, you had to pass a performance test, and be ranked by your performance on that test. then the government agency would start at the TOP of the list and interview people until they found the right person for the job. after AA was instituted, minorities got a big boost in their performance scores just by showing up. that meant that they didnt have to do as well on the performance test that non minorities did to get on the list. that means that the top people on the list were NOT the best.

as for multi culturalism, it doesnt work. it creates many problems that didnt exist. its one thing to have people immigrate to this country, and bring their ideals with them, it is another thing to force everyone to celebrate those ideals.

for instance, here in america we actually celebrate two independence days, our own on july fourth, and cinco de mayo(a mexican independence day). why? we didnt have anything to do with cinco de mayo, but we celebrate it with a party like it was our independence day.

back in the late 60s when i was growing up, america was a melting pot of cultures and ideas. everyone pretty much got along well because we were a country with ONE culture, the american culture. it was made up of several cultures melded together, and everyone understood this, and accepted this.

Can't rep you but this is one of your best posts.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:

There’s not enough time in the day to debate with you every benefit or shortfall that has arisen from AA. But I’ll say this. When diversity isn’t achieved naturally sometimes regulation is needed to provide the spark in the right direction.

Multiculturalism creates some problems but it also creates great benefits. New ideas are introduced, new techniques are created, and new understanding is developed. Large chunks of people who are against multiculturalism are also racist, close-minded individuals. Placed anywhere in the world these individuals would find a reason to not like another culture. Non-tolerance has lead to much pain and suffering throughout history.

Regarding your statement about the 60s, just wow! Everyone pretty much got along if you were of European decent. If you weren’t, you received hell from people with the same attitudes as those apposing multiculturalism today. 60s racism didn’t die it just evolved.

Old 06-02-2012, 10:57 AM

23,537 posts, read 17,211,948 times
"Diversity is a strength to everyone except the feebleminded. Diversity spurs new ideas, it introduces techniques and approaches that a homogeneous population would otherwise miss, and it increases the creativity of each group. The best man for the job isn’t always the same man as before."

As described above, selecting someone based on race or some other irrelevant criteria is no guarantee that new ideas etc will be introduced.

Wondeful description of diversity in the workplace and absolutely irrelevant to hiring by race.

Intelligent diversity of ideas will deliver the results described above. Ideas are unique to individuals not physical characteristics. To even suggest hiring a person of one race is equivalent to evryone else of that race is racist, and that's what you get if you hire by race. Individuals that constitute a race are not equal or interchangable.

It is insanity and bad business to reject diversity of ideas.

Mandated social justice does nothing to guarantee diversity. Present it differently to be honest but don't make the claim that hiring will provide new and novel ideas.

Introducing and inviting in and utilizing the diversity of ideas belongs to management and it is often individual managers that deliberately suffocate diversity that already exists in the workplace.
So hiring even a person with new ideas does not guarantee positive results that are claimed by legislative decree.

A good business will hire the best people without regard to physical characteristics. Best to not be hired by a bad business with poor management.

Old 06-02-2012, 11:10 AM

4,911 posts, read 3,428,607 times
Quote:
never mind the fact that the late senator robert byrd was a grand dragon of the KKK.
yeah, 60 years ago. More like 70 now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies