Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 05:16 PM

147 posts, read 144,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Bah..I'm not rich and I have nothing they want. Can't get blood from a stone as they say.

I went "Galt"...early retirement and moved to a lower COL area. No debts and just piddling around on some acres
They want more than your money, Tex. They want your assent and your will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2012, 05:19 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,066,236 times
You are actually advocating for a dictatorship because you aren't getting what you want?

Wow, real American hero here.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:20 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,270,253 times
I believe the farther the left and the right move away from each other and being able to compromise, and the more dysfunctional Washington becomes, the more America ripens for a dictatorship. I wouldn't rule it out within the next generation. We'll see during Obama's second term, when he no longer has to worry about re-election and he can push his true agenda.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:20 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,576,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles45 View Post
They want more than your money, Tex. They want your assent and your will.
Well that they will never get. And there's too damn many of us (Americans that is). They will settle for the majority and ignore the rest unless they act up. If history is any indicator, there won't be 100% buy in.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:23 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,091,241 times
Quote:
What am I missing?
If we have to explain that too you...

Old 05-18-2012, 05:24 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,824,238 times
Quote:
I see. But maybe there's more to America than being a democracy. Maybe democracy is the accident, not the essence of America. And if that's true, America can be saved without democracy, or at least without democracy as we know it. Does that make any sense?
Not to me. It sounds as if you're redefining America. Most of us think of America as a place for capitalist opportunity and freedoms spelled out in the Bill of Rights and a fantasy of government directed by the Constitution before too many amendments. And all those things are long gone, and what we have left is a myth that we pretend to live up to.

Further, your description is analogous to the following: maybe there's more to the person than terminal lung cancer. Maybe terminal lung cancer is the accident and not the essence of the person. And if that's true, then the person can be saved if he beat terminal lung cancer.

It can be no different. George Bush tried to eliminate OT pay. America cried. George Bush sent checks to everyone. America cheered. Barack Obama offered free health care. America cheered. Barack Obama gave expensive health care. America cried.

We are a country, as is every mob, that wants the world for free and gets angry because the world comes with a bill. The chickens... have come home... to roost.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:28 PM

4,428 posts, read 4,487,433 times
Quote:
I'm all for baseball, motherhood, the flag and the American way, but to tell you the truth I don't see democracy getting us out of this mess. What am I missing?
Are you a member of any political party?

Are you the leader of any political party?

Old 05-18-2012, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Homogenizer View Post
Further, your description is analogous to the following: maybe there's more to the person than terminal lung cancer. Maybe terminal lung cancer is the accident and not the essence of the person. And if that's true, then the person can be saved if he beat terminal lung cancer.
Actually that is a good analogy, sans the "terminal" part.

Lung cancer does not define the man. He might yet be saved by beating lung cancer.

The difference, I guess, is that you think America's cancer is terminal, and I'm not convinced ... yet.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooperkat View Post
Are you a member of any political party?

Are you the leader of any political party?
I'm just a disgruntled Republican because it's the least of evils. Not a leader of any kind.

Old 05-18-2012, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I believe the farther the left and the right move away from each other and being able to compromise, and the more dysfunctional Washington becomes, the more America ripens for a dictatorship. I wouldn't rule it out within the next generation. We'll see during Obama's second term, when he no longer has to worry about re-election and he can push his true agenda.
My thoughts exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies