Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 09:45 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post

The trouble with this case if that GZ went out of his way to "catch the bad guy" as he did several times in the past. According to some of his neighbors, he circled the neighborhood in his SUV looking for suspicious people. As we've already learned, he once chased a shoplifter out of a supermarket and even followed a driver in hot pursuit.
Wow. I hadn't heard this. Why didn't this guy just apply to join the force if he so desperately wanted to be a hero? Probably couldn't pass the psych exam.

Quote:
A teenager like Trayvon Martin might raise some eyebrows walking in my neighborhood after dark. He would stick out like the proverbial sore thumb since it's Whiter here than at the annual Ozark Tea Party convention.
It's interesting how much that makes a difference, isn't it. I live in Baltimore. The poor kid wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.

Quote:
However, a normal person would shout out "Hi, may I help you?" and not follow him around in a car and then chase after him. All the people who keep writing that it's legal to follow people aren't wrong, but legal and normal are 2 different things. Maybe he wasn't stalking in legal terms, but he certainly was acting like a predator.
Well put.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,960,938 times
The prosecution just released a lot of evidence to the defense, so we'll have to wait to see what it is.

[url]http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2012-06-15/news/os-george-zimmerman-new-evidence-20120615_1_defense-team-crime-scene-surveillance-video[/url]

"Prosecutors on Thursday released to defense attorneys hundreds of pages of new evidence in the murder case, including witness statements, nearly a dozen FBI reports and jail records."

Old 06-15-2012, 11:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Gate communities are organized and do have security because they like it that way. Please explain how I was in error in that statement.
Did I say Katiana lives in a city? No, I am sure that I never said that.
The only security I have ever heard of in GZ's community was the NW program he set up and appointed himself capatian of. Some of the neighbors thought he was too agressive in his approach.

You quoted me and made disaparaging remarks about "city people".

Old 06-16-2012, 03:47 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,244,067 times
Quote:
After seeing this place on the news, to me it is only called a "gated community" because of a useless gate located at a couple of entrances. The term is too general. When you live in a gated community where you only need a code to get past the gate, security is a myth.
Not to mention when they do have security guards they are often senior citizens working nights for a few bucks. LOL

Old 06-16-2012, 03:53 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,244,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The only security I have ever heard of in GZ's community was the NW program he set up and appointed himself capatian of. Some of the neighbors thought he was too agressive in his approach.

You quoted me and made disaparaging remarks about "city people".
My remarks about city people are true in my experience. They seldom know their neighbors, at least more than a quick nod. Don't want to be involved. See nothing , know nothing , say nothing attitudes.
Gated community types swing to the opposite extreme. They want security and tend to act like dogs tied to a tree. This is my yard. We need more rules about how our yards have to look. Rules for what we can do. I am all for zoning laws and deed restrictions. These gated communities take it to a whole new level.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Wow. I hadn't heard this. Why didn't this guy just apply to join the force if he so desperately wanted to be a hero? Probably couldn't pass the psych exam.

It's interesting how much that makes a difference, isn't it. I live in Baltimore. The poor kid wouldn't have raised an eyebrow.

Well put.
Another sad case of believing that everything you read on the internet is true.

It's quite amazing what falls off keyboards. Now Zimm was using his car to chase Sweet Little Trayvon. After all, someone heard something from a FOAF and repeated it on the internet, so it must be true.

Good Grief!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:04 AM

8,299 posts, read 8,616,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Another sad case of believing that everything you read on the internet is true.

It's quite amazing what falls off keyboards. Now Zimm was using his car to chase Sweet Little Trayvon. After all, someone heard something from a FOAF and repeated it on the internet, so it must be true.

Good Grief!
That's what you got from justNancy's post? You may want to read it again. Slower this time for comprehension. You can do it!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:08 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,690,317 times
lol, I understood the post. Based on your response, you didn't.

The gist is to not believe garbage spewed on the internet. 99% of this thread is internet garbage. Personally, I'm laughing, and definitely not believing.

Let's all repeat internet nonsense, now.....1. 2. 3. GO!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:09 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,914,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
It only matters in a world where people insist that Martin was, by virtue of having been 17 for 3 weeks, a fully functioning adult. As JanND and justNancy have pointed out in this thread, there are many things that an adult can do that a 17 year-old cannot. Nor has Martin turned out to be the "hulking 6'3" thug" that many posters initially described, while Zimmerman isn't the "squeaky clean" hero portrayed by his father. And the thread goes on...
The SYG law does not treat 17 year olds any differently than older individuals. Martin's age is no factor in the case.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:29 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,021,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
There are numerous issues surrounding this case, but the most troublesome one is that if Zimmerman is found not guilty it sets a dangerous precedent. I can basically go up to anyone I want, provoke a confrontation, shoot them dead, and be exonerated by just saying that the other party "started it."
Absolutely, and there are some people who would take advantage of that. It's easy to understand why FL is taking a second look at its SYG law, and other states may do the same. And the other person doesn't have to respond with violence: If two people are unseen by witnesses, the person who uses lethal force can say whatever they want and walk away without repercussions, as Zimmerman did initially. This is, indeed, a dangerous precedent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.