Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 01:20 PM

9,240 posts, read 8,678,023 times

Advertisements

He did not know if he was or wasn't carrying a gun. Why include that in your apology? It only makes you look worst. At the end of the day you followed someone who was minding their own business, on their way home from a store run. There is no justification for murder of an unarmed person minding their own business.

18,258 posts, read 22,557,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
From a different point of view....if Martin did jump Zimmerman for rollowing him, and punched him in the face...then the case is over. Zimmerman should be acquitted...because according to the 'STAND YOUR GROUND' law, Zimmerman had a right to defend himself.

The only real question is....DID Trayvon Martin attack Zimmerman. Period. It makes no difference at all how severe Zimmerman's wounds were...the law doesn't care about that. It matters if Zimmerman was defending himself. If he was....he goes home...and it doesn't matter if anyone likes it or not...that is the LAW. Public opinion does not and SHOULD not dictate guilt....no matter how much people like Jackso and sharpton try to fuel the fires.

Like you...I feel bad for both families. I think that Zimmerman felt like he was doing a good thing being on neighborhood watch. I don't think he ever had an inkling that he would be pulling a gun that night and using it. I think he got scared when Martin jumped him (if that proves out to be the case) and feared for his life. I don't think racism has a damned thing to do with it as others here do.

I think this is a tragedy...but everyone..needs to let the law do it's job.
If your opinion is true then a person can provoke an incident and then use a weapon (against an unarmed person) when they start to lose the fight that THEY provoked.

George Zimmerman was not a law enforcment officer. Neighborhood watch is supposed to observe and report. Let's say that the situation was reversed and TM had a gun and GZ did not. It would have been stupid for GZ to endanger his life to catch a burglar. But having that gun made him feel empowered. He overstepped his bounds and an innocent life was lost.

18,630 posts, read 19,443,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
When I have come across images from yesteryear of Blacks who had been lynched, hanging from trees lifeless and some burned/mutilated, I used to wonder about all of the other people in the pictures. You know the ones. The other people in those pictures would be grinning, pointing, laughing at the dead bodies.

No need to wonder any longer. I know exactly who those people were/are and who they would be if they had the Internet in those days.

Praying for justice to prevail for Trayvon Martin and for ALL innocent victims of violence.
When I have come across stories about the Salem Witch Trials or witch burning in general. I've often wondered how a community could be led to such irrational conclusions in the abscence of facts? No need to wonder I know exactly who these people are today. They are the ones wanting to condemn a man for not violating the law because the victim is of their race and the suspect is not. All the while ignoring facts and throwing baseless accusations left and right.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:22 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,966,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustPassinThru View Post
Since you cannot be at the scene of every event, just where DO you get your information?
I am not sure what you are getting at?

Are you saying we should take the media's word since we were not there? (you saw how they doctored the 911 call out of context right? The King case was just as bad)

I think that in issues such as these, what is and what is not will come out eventually when the case reaches the courts and all reports are fully filed. Until then, the media is boob tube entertainment, nothing more. They don't report the facts, they report the facts "as they see it".

My statement stands. The media lies, this is nothing new.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rimmerama View Post
True, although who wouldn't want to be on the jury? Good times, and possibly a nice check from courtTV after the fact for an interview...
I wouldn't, I hate that crap. As for the pay, I guess if someone is homeless, it might be worth it, but for most people the pay is complete garbage. (at least it was when I was CA. You could make more money working overtime at minimum wage and forget it if you actually made a good income somewhere, it was a complete loss for you).

Old 04-20-2012, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
If your opinion is true then a person can provoke an incident and then use a weapon (against an unarmed person) when they start to lose the fight that THEY provoked.

George Zimmerman was not a law enforcment officer. Neighborhood watch is supposed to observe and report. Let's say that the situation was reversed and TM had a gun and GZ did not. It would have been stupid for GZ to endanger his life to catch a burglar. But having that gun made him feel empowered. He overstepped his bounds and an innocent life was lost.
Only if you accept what Zimmerman did consitutes a violent reaction on the part of Trayvon. Or that Trayvon had no other choice but to strike Zimmerman. He had other choices, he chose poorly as many youngsters do and paid for that wrong choice with his life. Sad story but such is life sometimes we don't get a chance to look back at the mistakes of our youth and laugh.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:27 PM

507 posts, read 1,538,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall_Rep View Post
The only real question is....DID Trayvon Martin attack Zimmerman. Period. It makes no difference at all how severe Zimmerman's wounds were...the law doesn't care about that. It matters if Zimmerman was defending himself.

Well here you go, from the hearing today:

Quote:
In other testimony, Investigator Dale Gilbreath underwent examination by both attorneys on the evidence in the case, which seemed at times to resemble what the actual jury trial might be like. He agreed with O’Mara that Zimmerman’s injuries were consistent with trauma to the back of his head. But the claims that Trayvon attacked him, and provoked a self-defensive response, do not fall in line with prosecutors’ findings.
“He said his head was bashed and he managed to scoot away… and that’s when the shooting subsequently started,” Gilbreath said. “That is not consistent with the evidence we found.”
[LEFT]
Read more: George Zimmerman Speaks at Bond Hearing | NewsFeed | TIME.com
[/LEFT]

There are very good reasons Zimmerman was charged with second degree murder. I don't for one second believe Angela Corey took her job lightly by any means. I also fully believe she had the BEST investigators and resources at her disposal on this case.

Zimmerman did not act in self defense. I fully believe it will be crystal clear at trial, and today's testimony further confirms that to me.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
It is how it works for me. You can't kill someone and then just expect me to take you at your word that it was justified self defense.

If I am on the jury and Zimmerman cannot provide evidence that proves to me that it was an act of self defense, than I would convict him of murder.

Go take a criminal justice course or administration of justice. Ask the professor to use your position as a teaching example. It will be fun, you will enjoy it, trust me.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:30 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,519,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sco View Post
Jurors can ignore the law and vote anyway they want. Nobody can ever be sure how a jury or a particular juror came to their verdict. To me, in this case the law is irrelevant, if you are going to shoot someone than you have to be able to prove that it was self defense. If you can't, than you are guilty of murder.
You're right. Jurors can flip a coin to decide their vote. That's why gz should have hit the road to Peru or somewhere else while he could. Bad jury selection, jurors with your attitude, he's a goner.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
Yes, a reasonable man who shoots somebody with a bag of Skittles dead.

Do you guys even listen to yourself? Holy mother of GOD. You are looking for ANY possible excuse to back up Zimmerman.

Look at those cuts on his head! He was obviously beaten! He had no choice but to shoot!!

Trayvon had been suspended from school!! So of COURSE he was up to no good!!!! Zimmerman was just protecting his neighborhood!

What was a BLACK kid doing in that community anyway???! He was looking to rob a house, so of course Zimmerman has to shoot him!!!

It's beyond pathetic. I really want to reserve judgement on Zimmerman but it is very difficult when the case is clearly stacked against him, and there are racist scum out there defending, to the end of the DAMNED earth, the killing of a black teenager.

Sure, you don't think it's racism, but it clearly is. Black teen = aggressor, White man = victim, even though the white man had a gun and shot the back teen dead. Makes sense, right? Zimmerman is clearly the victim. Innocent. Had no choice. Did the world a favor...

City-Data is a really good place to come when you want to lose all faith in humanity.
I agree. The amount of baseless opinions I've seen by most African American posters and left wingers on here in general is cause for great concern.

It's quite clear you have little understanding of the law or are getting your talking points from one of Al Sharpton's shows. You may think what Zimmerman is a crime but thus far there is nothing to suggest the case is "stacked against him". Even folks who want to see this man buried under the prison are begrudgingly coming to that conclusion.

Learn how to calmly and objectively analyze a set of facts. You'll be a better person for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.