Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2012, 07:24 AM

41,458 posts, read 60,037,264 times

Advertisements

I guess the only way to "asssimilate" is to become greedy Konservatives like the deep sputh.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:55 AM

9,240 posts, read 8,701,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I have clients who came to the U.S. in the immediate postWW2 years. They have been here for 40-50 years and prefer their native tongue. They are ...Poles(Chicago) and Italians(NYC)

My father came over in 1941 as a teen and preferred to speak Spanish 50 years later. Absolutely staunch American who never lived on the dole. Created his own company in fact. You do not need language to assimilate you need desire to adopt the new country as your own.

Ever been to Quebec? Canadians who prefer French instead of English as used outside that region.

I thought it was fairly well understood that the ability to learn a new language diminishes with age particularly post-puberty.
Some of what you say is true, but from the topic for hispanics it goes a far into the 3rd generation. Many refuse to assimilate.

I think if you have courage to leave everything behind in your home country which is a major move & start new in another country you should make the effort to assimilate into that countries society by first learning the language. If you are old enough to leave everything behind then you are old enough to learn the language.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:58 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,222,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Some of what you say is true, but from the topic for hispanics it goes a far into the 3rd generation. Many refuse to assimilate.

I think if you have courage to leave everything behind in your home country which is a major move & start new in another country you should make the effort to assimilate into that countries society by first learning the language. If you are old enough to leave everything behind then you are old enough to learn the language.
I know you think you're on some noble mission, but you're looking foolish. The Pew site contradicts everything you're claiming. Third generation Hispanic families are largely assimilated. I guess that one drop rule is hanging you up???? Aren't you more concerned that blacks aren't gettimg white enuf for you? Why in the hell aren't they getting white, they have been here for hundreds of years now????

Unless you are a full blooded American Indian you have nothing to complain about.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
I know you think you're on some noble mission, but you're looking foolish. The Pew site contradicts everything you're claiming. Third generation Hispanic families are largely assimilated. I guess that one drop rule is hanging you up???? Aren't you more concerned that blacks aren't gettimg white enuf for you? Why in the hell aren't they getting white, they have been here for hundreds of years now????

Unless you are a full blooded American Indian you have nothing to complain about.
Quote:
Aren't you more concerned that blacks aren't gettimg white enuf for you? Why in the hell aren't they getting white, they have been here for hundreds of years now????
Nice curve ball to derail the topic.
Assimilation has nothing to do with skin color.

Quote:
The Pew site contradicts everything you're claiming. Third generation Hispanic families are largely assimilated.
Entirely false. Please read my link and quotes I posted that shows otherwise.

Quote:
I guess that one drop rule is hanging you up????
This has nothing to do with assimilation.

Quote:
Unless you are a full blooded American Indian you have nothing to complain about
Again this has nothing to do with assimilation.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,942,355 times
Quote:
You are wrong.

Please reread the title of thread.
It spells Hispanic. Is that your answer?

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM

639 posts, read 831,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I have clients who came to the U.S. in the immediate postWW2 years. They have been here for 40-50 years and prefer their native tongue. They are ...Poles(Chicago) and Italians(NYC)

My father came over in 1941 as a teen and preferred to speak Spanish 50 years later. Absolutely staunch American who never lived on the dole. Created his own company in fact. You do not need language to assimilate you need desire to adopt the new country as your own.

Ever been to Quebec? Canadians who prefer French instead of English as used outside that region.

I thought it was fairly well understood that the ability to learn a new language diminishes with age particularly post-puberty.
I love it when I go back to NYC, and I can practice my Italian with the older guys and restaraunt peeps. Now that I live in AZ there is just not as much chance to speak it. And they love that a guy from India originally speaks decent Italian, lots of comp wines lol

Old 04-24-2012, 10:17 AM

5,299 posts, read 4,868,411 times
Quote:
Stop making things up.
That was never mentioned.
How can a direct forum quote with a link-back (one of several) be "never mentioned"?...

Quote:

Define how you know it is third-generation (or beyond) Hispanics that "refuse to assimilate". What is the level of "assimilation" that you are looking for? My first-generation immigrant family from Mexico is at an assimilation level I would compare to the native-born, and they've been here less than five years at this point.

Old 04-24-2012, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cash View Post
I love it when I go back to NYC, and I can practice my Italian with the older guys and restaraunt peeps. Now that I live in AZ there is just not as much chance to speak it. And they love that a guy from India originally speaks decent Italian, lots of comp wines lol
Who said you could not speak?

Old 04-24-2012, 12:10 PM

639 posts, read 831,858 times
Quote:
Who said you could not speak?
not as many Italians here as in nyc, you did read the bolded part I quoted?, I was responding to the Italian comment

Old 04-24-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBMMuseum View Post
How can a direct forum quote with a link-back (one of several) be "never mentioned"?...

Define how you know it is third-generation (or beyond) Hispanics that "refuse to assimilate". What is the level of "assimilation" that you are looking for? My first-generation immigrant family from Mexico is at an assimilation level I would compare to the native-born, and they've been here less than five years at this point.
Quote:
Show me

Quote:
Please reread original post to the thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies